WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Seth Warner and Congdon Shelters

Howdy.

I'm trying to help a novice friend with hiking/camping/backpacking. He has the interest, but he's hesitant to go in to the back country by himself. Unfortunately we don't live near each other, so my help is limited to advice and planning assistance.

He lives near Albany, NY. I'm trying to convince him that 1 or 2 nights on the AT/LT in Vermont (just north of the Mass line) would be a good way to ease into backpacking- plenty of people to meet, safety in numbers, moderate terrain, shelters and privies, etc. I'm trying to convince him to hike 1 or 2 days north, then return south to his car in Williamstown/North Adams, Mass.

So in order to give him solid advice, I'm looking for some confirmation:
    - Does the Seth Warner Shelter still exist in 2019?
    - Does the Congdon Shelter still exist in 2019?
    - Is there a shelter in Clarksburg State Forest, Mass (north of Mass Rt 2 and South of the Vermont line)?

Thanks,
    Double D

(x-post with AT Shelters- Vermont forum)

Yes, both shelters exist. See https://www.atdist.com/ for all AT shelters and the distances from one to the next.

I don't think there is a shelter north of Mass Rt. 2 and south of the VT line, but the SW shelter isn't far north of the Vermont state line.

Your friend should invest in an AT Guide in app or paper form (there are several). The paper versions are not expensive and very useful (water sources, road crossings, distances to towns, shuttlers, etc.). A map doesn't hurt, either.

There is a shelter just North of RT 2, Seth Warner. Passed by it this winter heading North on a day hike

Images

Sherman Brook is the name of the campsite north of rt 2. It has some tent platforms and a privy and a bear box. the water source is right there by the trail
    Doin' the trail one section at a time
    You can read about my adventures at
    http://happyonthetrails.wordpress.com/

Thanks folks.

Follow up question: What about the parking situation in Williamstown/North Adams? I also posted on AT-Vermont, and a fella there said the Greylock Community Club in North Adams isn't allowing parking this year because of construction? Does anyone know this summer's parking options? Or when/where they would be announced? Should I ask in AT-Mass? I don't want to flood with questions though.

https://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/sho...Parking-closed would seem to be the thread where updates are most likely to be found (when they are available - note it says may not be confirmed until June).

Alternatively, just about any of the sections in Mass. would be a possibility as none are that far from Albany (a couple are even accessible off the Mass. Pike which is directly connected to Albany via Interstates), and most if not all would offer similar qualities to what you mention with people, shelters and terrain.

Thanks BillyGr. You make a good point.

Lee Ma. north to Dalton is a nice easy hike , with a shelter midway at October mt. And there's parking at the Lee end.
    Last edited by mark schofield; 04-21-2019 at 12:55.

The lumber co. in Dalton, right after you cross the railroad tracks in Dalton, allows parking

++ New Posts ++