WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Smokey mountains questions

Wanting to start at Fontana in a couple weeks to continue my sectioning. I have some dumb questions if someone can help.
    I know its against the rules but can I use my tent at shelters? I HATE mice.
    Is there anywhere to camp near/at Clingmans dome? It is quite a stretch between shelters.
    Is there a privy at all shelters? If not, where does everyone crap in the mornings?

sorry for the dumb questions
    Any other tips are welcome,
    I found the permit app stupid. How the heck am I supposed to know exactly what shelter I will make it to? I just took my best guess.

Thanks

Images

no.....

Is there anywhere to camp near/at Clingmans dome? It is quite a stretch between shelters.

no........

but you'll pass double springs shelter first which is about 2 ish miles from the dome and then mount collins shelter afterwards which is just over 3 and a half miles from the dome...

Is there a privy at all shelters? If not, where does everyone crap in the mornings?

not all of them have privies-----i believe russell field and campsite 113 do not have them.....

dig a cathole that is over 100 feet from shelter and trail and do your business............

Images

and make that also 100 feet from a water source....

Images

How the heck am I supposed to know exactly what shelter I will make it to?

it's part of the planning process...

know your daily mileage and do the math for mileage between shelters and figure it out.....

Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post
    it's part of the planning process...

know your daily mileage and do the math for mileage between shelters and figure it out.....
    Some days will be harder than others. Be ready for that.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by sittinguy View Post
    The only hikers legally allowed to setup a tent at a shelter is a hiker on the Thru permit, and the shelter has to already be full. (Your plans do not qualify for a Thru permit).
    If mice are the only reason you want to use a tent, check with the back country office and see if they consider the use of a bivy to be the same as a tent.
    {I'm surprised the question of the use of a bivy inside a shelter hasn't come up before. I've read thru the various rules pertaining to camping in GSMNP, and I honestly can't say what the answer would be.}

Are you kidding? Have you not looked at the back country map to determine where the shelters are located?
    There is one shelter about 2.5 miles west of Clingman's Dome, and another about 3.5 miles east of Clingman's Dome.

Is there a privy at all shelters?
    Best I can recall:
    With Privies - Spence, Double Springs, MtCollins, Icewater Springs, Pecks, Tricorner, and Cosby.
    Without - 113, Mollies Ridge, Russel, Derrick Knob, Silers Bald, Davenport Gap.
    To confirm any shelter in particular, consult the details on the camp site from within "stupid" permit app.

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    check with the back country office and see if they consider the use of a bivy to be the same as a tent.
    {I'm surprised the question of the use of a bivy inside a shelter hasn't come up before. I've read thru the various rules pertaining to camping in GSMNP, and I honestly can't say what the answer would be.}

I just spoke with the Backcountry Office at GSMNP. Single person bivvies are allowed in the shelters as long as they take up no more room than a sleeping bag/pad and do not hang.
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Journal Entries

I found the permit app stupid. How the heck am I supposed to know exactly what shelter I will make it to? I just took my best guess.

Thanks
    Your permit isnt a suggestion. It where you HAVE to stay.
    If youve hiked before on southern AT, you know how far you can hike per day. Its not rocket science. Plan on mileage you can make......

Ok. North Carolina —privy. Tennessee, “privy field” (designated area for catholes).

The ridgerunners make non through hikers tent if the shelter is full, at least they did during March b

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ethesis View Post
    Ok. North Carolina —privy. Tennessee, “privy field” (designated area for catholes).

The ridgerunners make non through hikers tent if the shelter is full, at least they did during March b
    Actually if you are hiking north out of Fontana you are in North Carolina until the ridgeline at Shuckstack. Then the trail literally strattles the TN/NC line for the most part through the park.

The privy fields are on the SW portion of the park. Shelters north on Newfound Gap have outhouses .

As to ridge runners, I thought it was the other way around. That hikers with permits specific to a shelter got priority and thru hikers were supposed to tent if the shelter is full.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rmitchell View Post
    As to ridge runners, I thought it was the other way around. That hikers with permits specific to a shelter got priority and thru hikers were supposed to tent if the shelter is full.
    yup

seems to me lately from some posts on here there may be a ridgerunner or two who is making up their own rules. doesnt surprise me.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by tdoczi View Post
    yup
    seems to me lately from some posts on here there may be a ridgerunner or two who is making up their own rules. doesnt surprise me.
    Are they "making up their own rules", or trying to dynamically deal with complex situations?

At the moment, the only post regarding ridgerunners that seems to run contrary to the rules is the claim above that a ridgerunner was making regular permit holders tent near the shelter when the rules say they are required to be in the shelter. But we have not been given the full details of the situation. After all, I could see the above situation and consider it appropriate if a regular permit holder shows up after dark (with a tent), and the ridgerunner has already worked out which thru-hikers are tenting and which thru-hikers are staying in the shelter. After all, if the shelter is overflowing and everyone has a tent, it doesn't matter which person tents and which stays in the shelter when it comes to trying to preserve the environment, but it can make a HUGE difference in "keeping the peace" if a rude person shows up late and "demands" their assigned spot.

Images

Are they "making up their own rules", or trying to dynamically deal with complex situations?
    tomato, tomahto.

"the rules state this but because of how i chose to deal with a dynamically situation, i'm going to do it the exact opposite" is making up the rules as you go along.

Images

I know its against the rules but can I use my tent at shelters?
    Just a heads-up before you get yourself in trouble with the WB rules, much less the GSMNP rules (you have a problem with rules, I take it?), from the WB User Agreement--

4. Discussions involving how to commit illegal acts ... are forbidden.
    Best wishes on your hike. I'll be doing the north half of the park from May 3-9, going shelter-to-shelter with a slow group.
    Last edited by Rain Man; 04-15-2019 at 22:46.
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    Just a heads-up before you get yourself in trouble with the WB rules, much less the GSMNP rules (you have a problem with rules, I take it?), from the WB User Agreement--

Best wishes on your hike. I'll be doing the north half of the park from May 3-9, going shelter-to-shelter with a slow group.
    so we've progressed to asking one single straightforward question about as to whether or not something is allowed is "discussing illegal acts."? seriously?

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

so we've progressed to asking one single straightforward question about as to whether or not something is allowed is "discussing illegal acts."? seriously?
    OP started with "I know its against the rules" and seems to be asking for a way to get around the rule because he doesn't like it. But the "rules" he is talking about are rules for a National Park... rules that have the backing of Federal Law. So to "break" one of these rules is to commit a Federal Crime.

Images

OP started with "I know its against the rules" and seems to be asking for a way to get around the rule because he doesn't like it. But the "rules" he is talking about are rules for a National Park... rules that have the backing of Federal Law. So to "break" one of these rules is to commit a Federal Crime.
    i see what you're saying but i guess i read it as an awkwardly phrased attempt at clarity.

Images

I read it as "I know it's against the rules" not as "Is it against the rules?" If I read it wrong, I apologize.
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

I read it as "I know it's against the rules" not as "Is it against the rules?" If I read it wrong, I apologize.
    You didn't read anything wrong. The OP clearly stated he knew tenting at shelters was against the rules.
    The only reason I didn't issue a warning similar to your's is because he didn't overtly ask how to get around the rule, he stated why he wanted to be able to tent, and I had a suggestion that MIGHT provide him with what he wanted.

Images

and i apologize if you're reading of it is correct.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++