WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Warmth for 60'ish F nights

Hello,

I have a Hennessy Explorer Asym, JacksRBetter Mt. Washington underquilt, down top quilt, and I also use a sleeping bag liner (supposedly adds another 5 F). This setup works fine easily down into the 30F range.

I'm planning a trip for May where I anticipate nighttime temperatures in the 60-65F range.

I'm trying to determine if the underquilt and/or top quilt are needed OR if instead I could sleep wearing capilene base layer and using the sleeping bag liner.

This would save a lot of bulk as well as weight. I can also say that I prefer it on the cooler side even when sleeping at home (we normally keep the nighttime thermostat setting at about 65F).

What say you?

Seakayaker
    Last edited by seakayaker; 04-09-2019 at 07:47.

I believe the general consensus is anything under 70 degrees in a hammock you’re going to need bottom insulation, I have found that accurate for myself. You definitely should test it out at home first if possible. But I would say you’re probably fine leaving the down top quilt at home and going with the UQ and the TQ liner.

Images

You'd be cold in a tent with no pad at those temps, especially spring when the ground is still warming up from winter. Keep in mind the UQ replaces the pad going from tent to hammock setup. Unless your liner zips all the way, I wouldn't use it in a hammock.

Low 60's can be rather cool at night, and somewhat damp. While you might be good going to bed in the high 60s with UQ and liner TQ, I think its pretty likely that you'd get uncomfortably cold overnight. Its pretty easy to vent a TQ, so while you might like to save some weight, I think you're better off taking both quilts and leaving the liner at home.

My guess is that packing issues due to bulk are mostly due to compressing the quilts into a dry sack(s)? If you can keep your pack dry, its better if you pack the quilts by putting them in loose first, and then letting the rest of your gear compress on top of them, allowing them to compress to the area available instead of a bulky dry sack that might be 90-95% efficient with the space it takes up.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

++ New Posts ++