WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Replace chest strap?

Hey all, I've been using my GoLite Jam 50 for several years and I started using biners to hold my camera to my chest and it ended up popping one of the plastic clasps that the chest strap was attached to the shoulder strap with. Here's a pic of the side that's still there:
    golite.jpg

GoLite has been gone for several years so I think I know the answer, but does anyone know if another company sells backpacking pieces and parts where I could rig something on there? Maybe its time for another bag. I kinda like the chest strap to pull the shoulder straps in more. I feel naked without that strap. Thanks for tips in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by TurboPants View Post
    Hey all, I've been using my GoLite Jam 50 for several years and I started using biners to hold my camera to my chest and it ended up popping one of the plastic clasps that the chest strap was attached to the shoulder strap with. Here's a pic of the side that's still there:
    golite.jpg

GoLite has been gone for several years so I think I know the answer, but does anyone know if another company sells backpacking pieces and parts where I could rig something on there? Maybe its time for another bag. I kinda like the chest strap to pull the shoulder straps in more. I feel naked without that strap. Thanks for tips in advance.
    Mountain Laurel Designs sell a nice chest strap.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

REI or Campmor should have sternum straps with buckles. Might even try Dick's

Both RipstopByTheRoll and Dutchware sell the clips. If you see, these are easily replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by skater View Post
    Both RipstopByTheRoll and Dutchware sell the clips. If you see, these are easily replaced.
    I meant, "If you SEW".

Thank you for the links and ideas all. Had I been searching the web for ""STERNUM" straps I would have found a lot more heh. Perrymk, the second link is exactly what I need to work with this pack. Thanks!

Is it the plastic slider that runs on the rib? Or, are the plastic sliders still good on both sides? If both sliders are still good on both sides it's an easier fix from what I know from using a GL J2 50L for about 18 months.

Dogwood, the plastic clip that clasps onto the rib came off and I lost it. Im guessing the plastic broke I’m confident I could reattach if I had it but when my camera strap that was attached to this broke on a hike I managed to lose the plastic clip.

Contact Osprey. Their Exos and Atmos models...and Gregory, in their Zulu model have those chest strap rib plastic sliders, I think of the same should strap rib size as the GL Jam. Maybe, they'll send you a replacement buckle you can get to slide on? I've seen these plastic rib sliders broken or lost and replaced by DIYers before. Ask for Cust Service Replacement Tech. Tell them about the Osprey or Gregory packs you have or ask if you can buy a pr if they make them available.

Sometimes this buckles comes off because the ribs start coming loose especially at the very top and bottom or if, doing exactly as you did, maybe too much load or pull occurs on the chest strap, a buckle snaps. I've seen them replaced by others who loosened the bottom or top(better) of the stiffened rib and slid on a new slider buckle, than resewed the rib back on perhaps dabbing with some Seam Grip as a "stopper."

You're GL Jam looks to be in otherwise very good condition with more yrs of usability. If you're happy with it I'd fix it. it's not that hard of a fix.

++ New Posts ++