WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Definitely don't give up on the inferno. I've always been able to get a great fire going in it, even with wet wood. I don't bother to use just twigs; I use small pieces of wood as well, as long as they fit in the stove. I've found a vaseline soaked cotton ball works great for fire starting. Put it at the bottom of the stove, on top of a small amount of wood, cover it with lots of wood and light it. The inferno works really well with my 900 and 1300 ml pots- mine was designed for a 1300 ml pot. I've tried down to about a 450 ml pot, but find that it is cumbersome to position. The beauty of wood heating is that you can easily get some extra hot water for a drink or cleaning up with essentially no additonal effort. 8-10 minutes from lighting the cotton ball is usually sufficient to get 2 cups of cold water to a boil. I've often kept the inferno going after cooking to enjoy the small fire for ambience. The biggest drawback of this system for me is the messy pot exterior which I need to carefully protect from the rest of my pack. However, the soot isn't all that much of a problem to (mostly) remove if I feel energetic.
    Trail name Catnapper

Quote Originally Posted by fastfoxengineering View Post
    I wouldn't give up. I've never failed to use the inferno effectively. Furthermore all my friends joke about how well it works when stuff is dry. I'm very sloppy with it when there's good dry fuel around. You definitely need to make sure it's getting the oxygen it needs. What im getting at... its probably you haha! Did you watch my video on actually using the inferno with the 600ml. Less than ideal conditions. Crappy fuel. I was sloppy and still boiled two cups in about 10 minutes.
    Braggart!

(of course it’s me...I suck at making fires.)

Quote Originally Posted by renais View Post
    Definitely don't give up on the inferno. I've always been able to get a great fire going in it, even with wet wood. I don't bother to use just twigs; I use small pieces of wood as well, as long as they fit in the stove. I've found a vaseline soaked cotton ball works great for fire starting. Put it at the bottom of the stove, on top of a small amount of wood, cover it with lots of wood and light it. The inferno works really well with my 900 and 1300 ml pots- mine was designed for a 1300 ml pot. I've tried down to about a 450 ml pot, but find that it is cumbersome to position. The beauty of wood heating is that you can easily get some extra hot water for a drink or cleaning up with essentially no additonal effort. 8-10 minutes from lighting the cotton ball is usually sufficient to get 2 cups of cold water to a boil. I've often kept the inferno going after cooking to enjoy the small fire for ambience. The biggest drawback of this system for me is the messy pot exterior which I need to carefully protect from the rest of my pack. However, the soot isn't all that much of a problem to (mostly) remove if I feel energetic.
    Thanks for the encouragement, I’ll keep trying. Maybe one day I’ll be a proficient fire maker.

Quote Originally Posted by Traffic Jam View Post
    Thanks for the encouragement, I’ll keep trying. Maybe one day I’ll be a proficient fire maker.
    O’ course, it was warm and the wood was dry...but finally! Can’t tell y’all how many frustrating times I burned my thumb with my lighter while trying to start a dang twig fire. First successful fire with my Inferno. 😀

F691CF76-C699-4813-A436-9DC99AA72A9F.jpg

6B71F9BA-9449-4431-B66C-5C6ECDDB589B.jpg

Arrived at the trailhead the other day for a BP trip and the bottle with my denatured alcohol was nearly empty...spilled or evaporated (pack stored in my car for 4 days). Good thing I have the option to burn wood.

Question... are there any tricks for managing the soot that gets on the pot and the stove pieces? By the time everything is stored neatly, my hands are filthy. What's the best way to clean my sooty cooking gear after a hike?

I rocked the starlyte for a while. Didnt like the 12-10. Once i used a stove thay held onto the fuel like a 12-10/kojin .. i can never go back. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk
    You haven't lived until you try Zelph's new Starlyte XL.I'm using mine with the Foster's F Keg and Caldera Cone from Trail Designs.
    That Fosters pot with the Cone will boil in about 6 minutes more or less.Also,you might check out Zelph's new pop top Starlyte which weighs a little less and is a real work horse.I like the fact that a klutz like me can't spill either one.They are so light that I carry both.

Images

Here's my sidewinder kit after thousands of meals and miles.
    Can you take a photo of the Kojin for us so we can see what the absorbing material looks like after thousands of meals? There is no stainless steel covering it to protect it. A photo would be appreciated. Thanks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++