WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Best Chrome Dome 'brella?

Of the "chrome" umbrellas available do any have a clear advantage? I see GG Liteflex , MyTrail Chrome, 6 Moons and Golite which are rather similar looking online. I presume the smart money is on the fiberglass framed ones, as we all know, once you invert or fold up a metal framed one its done most times.

My last one was from Euroschirm, the Liteflex, it was great, until my kid stole it because it was amazing. I ordered two replacements from Gossamer Gear, it seems to be the exact umbrella, I gave one to my other daughter, and managed to keep one for myself. Highly recommended. Some of the silver color got rubbed off from narrow NH pine trails, but that's just cosmetic. Otherwise bullet proof, has never inverted.

Journal Entries

They are all the same umbrella
    And no sense paying premium for a logo

While no doubt there is some re-branding done, at least 6 Moons offers a couple variations including one with a carbon fiber shaft and frame. Without knowing any more, that would be my choice BUT I posted here to get some feedback from users rather than make a decision based only on a short description.

Depends where you hike. The PCT eats GG umbrellas.

Since I live 90 minutes from Harpers Ferry, I do the AT now and next year I'll be moving to who knows where but it will be somewhere that has good hiking access. So it may turn out I feed the PCT more umbrellas.

Quote Originally Posted by AllDownhillFromHere View Post

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Crossup View Post
    Since I live 90 minutes from Harpers Ferry, I do the AT now and next year I'll be moving to who knows where but it will be somewhere that has good hiking access. So it may turn out I feed the PCT more umbrellas.
    I found my Chromedome very helpful when hiking in the rain in the east on established trails. In the west, the utility is limited by the wind. Often, I'll want the shade the Chromedome offers but the wind is too high to deploy it.
    Handlebar
    GA-ME 06; PCT 08; CDT 10,11,12; ALT 11; MSPA 12; CT 13; Sheltowee 14; AZT 14, 15; LT 15;FT 16;NCT-NY&PA 16; GET 17-18

Quote Originally Posted by AllDownhillFromHere View Post
    Yeah but only east coasters with GG umbrellas.

Received a 6 Moons Silver Shadow Carbon yesterday, test it today in wind and rain. It was the right choice. The carbon fiber stays/ribs and shank are bullet proof. An umbrella could not be simpler and therefore not much to break- no mechanism to fail, just a basic design using the tension of the dome to hold it open by virtue of going over center. The plastic bits looks oversized and ready for harsh service.

++ New Posts ++