Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
Results 161 to 180 of 220
  1. #161
    Registered User
    Join Date
    09-06-2008
    Location
    Andrews, NC
    Age
    61
    Posts
    3,650

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Nothing like this

    Get ready for great grandkids to speak chinese
    ...and eat Tide Pods for lunch.

  2. #162

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CalebJ View Post
    Unless I've missed something, nobody -in this thread- is defending the behavior that you describe. When you're making choices that actively interfere with others it becomes a completely different conversation. My point regarding HYOH is simply to not let others individual elections (using a phone as a camera/navigational resource, etc) affect your enjoyment when they're not actively jarring your experience. Being rude, listening to music aloud, etc are things that could, of course, actively effect you and I wouldn't tolerate them well either.
    No problem with that either. HYOH - as long as you're not being an "only responsible to self" shthead.


    None of us hike in an alienated bubble. We're always impacting something to some extent. When we assume we're alienated hiking within a bubble, self absorbed, "only responsible to self" we assume we're at the center of the Universe, that it's here to beckon to our every desire and need. That's when the sounds of walking on roads constructed of crushed skulls reaches a crescendo.

  3. #163

    Default

    For me the technology explosion would be on the top list of jerkishness that this youtube top hiking poster discussed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejZCgy-_NOw&t=44s


  4. #164

    Default

    Love the way Dixie says "barat wight light." She's my nieces's twin.

  5. #165
    Registered User
    Join Date
    02-19-2012
    Location
    Charlotte NC
    Age
    58
    Posts
    326

    Default

    Did a couple sections south of Damascus last week. Since I was sobo, I was passing a good many nobos during the day. Since I’m a little older, I don’t mind stepping aside to let people by. Gives me a good opportunity to catch my breath. I noticed a couple things that were different from trips in the past. 30% of the folks would stop for a moment to exchange pleasantries. It was very nice. 30% of the people would keep walking, but thank me for stepping off, and offering a pleasant greeting. It was very nice, but the last group were people who wouldn’t even look at you, wouldn’t even acknowledge your existence. They had their earbuds in, and wouldn’t give you the time of day, or even say thank you for getting out of their way. Almost everyone of these was from the “younger” generation. I hate to say it, but it was a little disappointing to see. Is this related to technology, all they wanted was their music? I don’t know. To the people on Iron Mtn who were nice, Thank You!

  6. #166

    Join Date
    05-05-2011
    Location
    state of confusion
    Posts
    9,869
    Journal Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Whack-a-mole View Post
    Did a couple sections south of Damascus last week. Since I was sobo, I was passing a good many nobos during the day. Since I’m a little older, I don’t mind stepping aside to let people by. Gives me a good opportunity to catch my breath. I noticed a couple things that were different from trips in the past. 30% of the folks would stop for a moment to exchange pleasantries. It was very nice. 30% of the people would keep walking, but thank me for stepping off, and offering a pleasant greeting. It was very nice, but the last group were people who wouldn’t even look at you, wouldn’t even acknowledge your existence. They had their earbuds in, and wouldn’t give you the time of day, or even say thank you for getting out of their way. Almost everyone of these was from the “younger” generation. I hate to say it, but it was a little disappointing to see. Is this related to technology, all they wanted was their music? I don’t know. To the people on Iron Mtn who were nice, Thank You!
    Earbuds arent really technology

    But they are a good way to communicate to others that you find being in outdoors too boring and dont like it.

  7. #167
    ME => GA 19AT3 rickb's Avatar
    Join Date
    12-12-2002
    Location
    Marlboro, MA
    Posts
    6,964
    Journal Entries
    1
    Images
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by greenpete View Post
    This topic has probably been raised before on this Forum. Nonetheless, I think it’s good to continue the discussion. People love gadgets, especially men. I’m probably in the minority, but I feel there’s too much gadgetry on the trail these days. Unless one hikes as an athletic pursuit (for a challenge, for fitness, etc.), the whole idea of a mountain hike is about getting out and enjoying nature, and separating oneself from the artificiality and cushy conveniences of urban/suburban society. Isn’t it? If so, why are so many people dragging the digital revolution onto the trail? Don’t devices like handheld computers (iPhones) and various “apps” compromise the back-to-nature experience? Some things are essential, I realize. Manmade tents, sleeping bags, stoves, matches, etc. And cameras and non-computerized phones are convenient. But have we gone too far? Have we “over-safety’ed” and “over-convenienced” ourselves?

    Would love to see how many people, if any, agree with me.


    Probably just human nature, but I do find it interesting that the primary focus of a thread like this quickly becomes:


    • Do other people bring too much technology to the Trail, and do so in an inappropriate and disrespeful way?


    Rather than:


    • Are we ourselves bringing too much technology on our own hikes, and paying a personal price for that choice?


    To my way of thinking, the second question is more important — albeit without the opportunities to virtue signal in a lovely online discusion.

  8. #168

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Earbuds arent really technology

    But they are a good way to communicate to others that you find being in outdoors too boring and dont like it.
    Also a great defense for chatty passers by....

  9. #169
    4eyedbuzzard's Avatar
    Join Date
    01-02-2007
    Location
    DFW, TX / Northern NH
    Age
    63
    Posts
    7,936
    Images
    27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Earbuds arent really technology

    But they are a good way to communicate to others that you find being in outdoors too boring and dont like it.
    Or that they are respectful enough of others "space" and use them so as no to disturb other people's experience. I don't listen to music every waking minute, but there are a lot of people who do. Not my thing. And it's not that I hate music (unless it's Christmas music starting at Halloween), it's just that I don't need it 24/7. If someone's that addicted to musical stimulus though, I'd rather they use earbuds than one of those mini Bluetooth speakers.

  10. #170
    Registered User carouselambra's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-29-2012
    Location
    Raleigh, North Carolina
    Posts
    109
    Images
    32

    Default

    Technology has its place. Last Saturday night it was pretty sweet to listen to the UVA-Auburn Final Four game at our campsite. I was able to stream it on the phone and our campsite was away from the shelter so we were not bothering anyone else. As a matter of fact, the folks at the shelter were listening to it as well.

    Backpacking Hack: Sticking the end of your cellphone into a Jetboil MiniMo pot turned on its side will amplify your sound to just the right level.

  11. #171

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Whack-a-mole View Post
    Did a couple sections south of Damascus last week. Since I was sobo, I was passing a good many nobos during the day. Since I’m a little older, I don’t mind stepping aside to let people by. Gives me a good opportunity to catch my breath. I noticed a couple things that were different from trips in the past. 30% of the folks would stop for a moment to exchange pleasantries. It was very nice. 30% of the people would keep walking, but thank me for stepping off, and offering a pleasant greeting. It was very nice, but the last group were people who wouldn’t even look at you, wouldn’t even acknowledge your existence. They had their earbuds in, and wouldn’t give you the time of day, or even say thank you for getting out of their way. Almost everyone of these was from the “younger” generation. I hate to say it, but it was a little disappointing to see. Is this related to technology, all they wanted was their music? I don’t know. To the people on Iron Mtn who were nice, Thank You!
    I have noted this as well. In fairness, some of it may be due to increased volume of people on the trail. Even locally, when I go to a trail that has a ton of people on it, I don't want to say hello to 500 people in a day when I'm just trying to enjoy a tiny bit of nature and a good walk.
    If hikers haven't seen anyone in quite awhile, they are much more likely to want to chat a bit
    I'm sure self-absorption is a big part of it though

  12. #172

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Earbuds arent really technology

    But they are a good way to communicate to others that you find being in outdoors too boring and dont like it.
    I get catchy songs stuck in my head, with our without the earbuds. It's just the way my brain is wired. I'm also a terrible singer. Hiking through Georgia, my music player died, and my brain filled in catchy tunes. Every few minutes I hiked by buttercups springing up in their little buttercup glory... and my brain immediately clicked into

    Why do you build me up (build me up) buttercup, baby
    Just to let me down (let me down) and mess me around?
    And then worst of all (worst of all) you never call, baby
    When you say you will (say you will) but I love you still
    I need you (I need you) more than anyone, darlin'
    You know that I have from the start
    So build me up (build me up) buttercup, don't break my heart!

    Except I don't really know all the words, so it was more like...


    Why do you fill me up (fill me up) buttercup, baby (no that's not right, what is it? Oh yeah, build me up!)
    Just to let me down (let me down) and blah blah blah blah?
    And then worst of all (worst of all) you never call, baby
    When you say you will (say you will) but I love you still
    I need you (I need you) more than anyone, darlin'
    You know that I something something
    So fill me up (no make that) (build me up) buttercup, don't break my heart

    ... and just because no one was around, I'd sing the words I know... which had to be ugly for the folks on the other side of hills. After a week of this I was ready to stab The Foundations.

    So no Muddy, you're just wrong. I wear earbuds to protect other people from my singing of the wrong lyrics, and to keep sane.

    I'd be interested in you telling me what exactly should be running through my brain as I hike. Do you have any correct suggestions? Am I allowed to daydream? If so, about what, or is daydreaming against your very specific code of appreciating nature properly?

    Seriously, I can't imagine the level of control freakishness that would lead someone to tell another person that the guy with earbuds doesn't appreciate nature.

    Edit: font size issues.

  13. #173

    Join Date
    05-05-2011
    Location
    state of confusion
    Posts
    9,869
    Journal Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Puddlefish View Post
    I get catchy songs stuck in my head, with our without the earbuds. It's just the way my brain is wired. I'm also a terrible singer. Hiking through Georgia, my music player died, and my brain filled in catchy tunes. Every few minutes I hiked by buttercups springing up in their little buttercup glory... and my brain immediately clicked into

    Why do you build me up (build me up) buttercup, baby
    Just to let me down (let me down) and mess me around?
    And then worst of all (worst of all) you never call, baby
    When you say you will (say you will) but I love you still
    I need you (I need you) more than anyone, darlin'
    You know that I have from the start
    So build me up (build me up) buttercup, don't break my heart!

    Except I don't really know all the words, so it was more like...


    Why do you fill me up (fill me up) buttercup, baby (no that's not right, what is it? Oh yeah, build me up!)
    Just to let me down (let me down) and blah blah blah blah?
    And then worst of all (worst of all) you never call, baby
    When you say you will (say you will) but I love you still
    I need you (I need you) more than anyone, darlin'
    You know that I something something
    So fill me up (no make that) (build me up) buttercup, don't break my heart

    ... and just because no one was around, I'd sing the words I know... which had to be ugly for the folks on the other side of hills. After a week of this I was ready to stab The Foundations.

    So no Muddy, you're just wrong. I wear earbuds to protect other people from my singing of the wrong lyrics, and to keep sane.

    I'd be interested in you telling me what exactly should be running through my brain as I hike. Do you have any correct suggestions? Am I allowed to daydream? If so, about what, or is daydreaming against your very specific code of appreciating nature properly?

    Seriously, I can't imagine the level of control freakishness that would lead someone to tell another person that the guy with earbuds doesn't appreciate nature.

    Edit: font size issues.
    You have poor comprehension skills.

    I dont give a rats arse what someone else does
    Nor did i say anyone didnt enjoy nature, or at least their version of it.

    I said they listened to music because hiking is too boring too them without it .

    And thats a fact

    They listen to music, audio books, sports, whatever to pass the the time, because being in woods itself.....isnt enough.


    Yes hiking gets monotonous 10 hrs per day, everyday. Trees, rocks, roots generally all look same.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 04-11-2019 at 13:13.

  14. #174

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    You have poor comprehension skills.

    I dont give a rats arse what someone else does
    Nor did i say anyone didnt enjoy nature, or at least their version of it.

    I said they listened to music because hiking is too boring too them without it .

    And thats a fact

    They listen to music, audio books, sports, whatever to pass the the time, because being in woods itself.....isnt enough.
    You have poor logic skills. I could say that you spend time at the computer, because you don't like being in the outdoors enough, you post on message boards because being in the woods isn't enough. It would be untrue. Just like your statement that I listen to music because hiking is too boring without it is untrue. It's an invalid assumption, because it assumes that's there's only one way to properly enjoy the outdoors.

    It's a crappy gatekeeping attitude. It's you deciding, based on your experience, that your experience is more pure, is better than someone else's way of doing things. I comprehend exactly what you said. You don't give a rats ass, but you still feel the need to demean those who do it differently than you do.

  15. #175

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    I said they listened to music because hiking is too boring too them without it .
    They listen to music, audio books, sports, whatever to pass the the time, because being in woods itself.....isnt enough.
    Yes hiking gets monotonous 10 hrs per day, everyday. Trees, rocks, roots generally all look same.
    I wear headhones with my radio when I'm roadwalking long stretches and I don't want to hear motorcycles and cars.

    But wearing ear buds or head pods or headphones or whatever else on a backpacking trail between April to November IS STUPID for one simple reason--



    This guy was right on the trail. They call them Rattle Snakes for a reason---so listen for the rattle---and not some crap coming thru your headbuds.

    To do so is exactly like texting while driving---distraction can be a killer.

  16. #176
    Registered User
    Join Date
    12-19-2005
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    3,225
    Images
    3

    Default

    To do so is exactly like texting while driving---distraction can be a killer.



    and yet-----at least in the southeast, not one hiker had been killed by a snake while wearing headphones...

    sure, it could happen.........but it hasnt happened yet.......

  17. #177

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post
    and yet-----at least in the southeast, not one hiker had been killed by a snake while wearing headphones...

    sure, it could happen.........but it hasnt happened yet.......
    But what about the ones who got bit but didn't die??

    I guess I'm lucky because I've seen (and heard) dozens of rattlesnakes in the last several years---backpacking on trails in TN/NC and Georgia.

    Is is smart to listen to music while hiking thru their territory? No it is not.

  18. #178
    Registered User
    Join Date
    12-19-2005
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    3,225
    Images
    3

    Default

    But what about the ones who got bit but didn't die??



    can you provide proof of someone that has been bitten by a snake while wearing headphones?



    Is is smart to listen to music while hiking thru their territory? No it is not.


    thats your way..........if someone else wants to wear headphones while hiking, it should be their decision and not yours.


    also---keep in mind-----people that have limited hearing and/or are deaf, are hikers as well......

  19. #179

  20. #180
    Registered User
    Join Date
    12-19-2005
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    3,225
    Images
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    It's hard to believe that this could be debated at all in rattlesnake country.



    well.......

    more people have been killed by snakes while attending church than in the woods.......

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
++ New Posts ++

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •