WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default thoughts on this tarp

what's you thoughts on this tarp: https://yamamountaingear.com/collect...t-tarp-silpoly

My thought is you can make a replica for a fraction of the cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Traffic Jam View Post
    My thought is you can make a replica for a fraction of the cost.
    Not really. When you consider time, skills, and materials.. you'll probably come out on the losing end.

Yama makes excellent tarps. Some of the highest quality in the business.

That's a really nice tarp. Buy in confidence or save $40 in materials and hack it up with a sewing machine.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

As Gen states lots of tinkering options in that 8.5x 8.5. How tall are you? Any inkling what pitches you prefer? 102" ridge in the a frame.

I don't like the pitch shown. A flying diamond would work better for that sized tarp, and use fewer stakes. An 8x10 from Etowah is +2 Oz. and much cheaper. For a hammock, the tarp shown would be very nice. Take your pick and enjoy.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by fastfoxengineering View Post
    Not really. When you consider time, skills, and materials.. you'll probably come out on the losing end.

Yama makes excellent tarps. Some of the highest quality in the business.

That's a really nice tarp. Buy in confidence or save $40 in materials and hack it up with a sewing machine.

The curse of a diy’er...Hey, I can make that!

(Material savings would be much more than $40.)

Images

I had a 9x9 tarp, not silnylon. It did pitch well in a flying V. If I were going to make a standard A-frame pitch, this tarp is too short for me. Would rather have the 8x10 foot.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

I'm of like mind BigCranky. I can do 102-106 ridge in A frame but in the heaviest wind blown rain I need to throw my rain jacket over the ridge entrance for a pseudo beak or use a WR bivy or be more careful about CS selection. Spray at the head or feet results in a damp sleeping bag or quilt footbox or waking me up spritzing my face like I'm an orchid. If you want to spread out and have more livability under the tarp and for your gear might want to consider the extra coverage at only 2 oz or less. One of the mistakes I made starting off was gram weeinieing a tarp reducing the coverage before tarp chops had developed accordingly. just a person preference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ousSL5wXhy8

Going to try out Kodak's ZP 8.5 x 8.5 flying diamond using the bike as the one head guy out pt on the next bike packing trip in less nasty weather. My bike pack set up has a retractable Pletscher tandem kickstand so might get away without the bike guy lines. I like the truckers hitch with half hitch bite guy line system Kodak uses not to fuss with a sliding Bowline. With the half hitch bite on grippy Z line or Kelty Triptease that might be all one needs unless it's seriously foul gusty or load weather.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    As Gen states lots of tinkering options in that 8.5x 8.5. How tall are you? Any inkling what pitches you prefer? 102" ridge in the a frame.
    i'm 6'....basically an a-frame, maybe a pyramid.

Thank guys I thought it might be a little short. Being i'll more than likely to use an a-frame set-up what do y'all think of this on: https://yamamountaingear.com/collect...d-tarp-silpoly. another question is there any advantage or disadvantage to silpoly over silnylon?

Similar in design to the GG Spinn Twinn in 7d high tenacity nylon blended sil/pu coating waterproof to at least 1200mm. https://www.gossamergear.com/products/twinn-tarp

Gen has less front pointing and only three side tie out pts and it's heavier and heavier 20 D

So here's the update, Paria finally got the 8x10 tarps in and I placed an order yesterday. I'll keep you guys posted on how it works out. And thanks for the help fellas!!

Quote Originally Posted by needlefish View Post
    So here's the update, Paria finally got the 8x10 tarps in and I placed an order yesterday. I'll keep you guys posted on how it works out. And thanks for the help fellas!!
    Nice.

Im currently mad at Zpacks. I asked about a 7x9 camo tarp about two months ago. They said no so i bought a .51 green tarp. I just went on their site and now they have camo tarps.

Arghh

Current: For orders placed after 3/18 @ 430 PM EST: expect your order to ship in roughly 3.5 months. For orders placed earlier within this period, there's a chance that I will be able to ship by the end of May, but don't count on it.

Ok, so I set the tarp up on my property yesterday right before a wicked thunderstorm rolled in. We had wind gust to 25mph. I set it in an a-frame configuration low to the ground with about 3" of space between the ground & side of the tarp. Put a poly ground sheet down and held it down with some shot rocks. We had rain on & off all night. Went out this morning & the ground sheet was dry. Question for you guys, before I cut the supplied guy lines (used para cord for trial setup) what length do you guys cut your guy lines. I did 4' on the corners & sides & 8' on the ridge with trekking pole setup.

I luv my cat cut Warbonnet Super Fly. You can crank it down for four seasons protection at a good price.

++ New Posts ++