WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Hot Springs, NC Parking

Doing Davenport Gap to Hot Springs this weekend! Search turned up some really old posts regarding available long term parking at the trailhead at the Forest Service parking lot at the South end of town. Just wondering if this is still a good place to park?

Have a list of shuttle drivers who I will be reaching out to shortly....Bluff Mtn Outfitters, Standing Bear Farm, Ken Brown.
    It is what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by JPritch View Post
    Doing Davenport Gap to Hot Springs this weekend! Search turned up some really old posts regarding available long term parking at the trailhead at the Forest Service parking lot at the South end of town. Just wondering if this is still a good place to park?

Have a list of shuttle drivers who I will be reaching out to shortly....Bluff Mtn Outfitters, Standing Bear Farm, Ken Brown.

The parking lot at the south end of town is an option. The other option is Laughing heart hostel parking lot. That is where I have always parked. Both are probably pretty darn safe.

Shuttles: I have used Bluff Mtn and Standing bear both got me from point A to B - However my vote is to Bluff mtn, they are more professional. Just my experience

Havent used Ken Brown before but I will be doing this stretch again later this month and haven't gotten a shuttle yet for it. May look him up
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Journal Entries

Nothing wrong with FS lot, you can basically see laughing heart from it thru trees. Not saying that adds any security, just that its the the same place. People are parked there all the time.

I appreciate the intel guys!
    It is what it is.

Images

I agree with Gambit. I have parked in both of those lots, Laughing Heart and the public lot multiple times with no vehicle safety problems. I have used Bluff Mtn. Outfitters to shuttle on several occasions also and been very pleased.

I went to look up Bluff Mountain, since I'll need a shuttle from Hot Springs in the near future... Their website is closed and, on their Facebook page, they say they no longer do shuttles...

Quote Originally Posted by lkmi View Post
    I went to look up Bluff Mountain, since I'll need a shuttle from Hot Springs in the near future... Their website is closed and, on their Facebook page, they say they no longer do shuttles...

Well that stinks

Leonidas

I recall their shuttle driver passing away last year I believe. I guess they decided not to find someone to fill his shoes. Might check with Laughing Heart, when Jeff was there, he had several friends that shuttle out of HS. We used one to get back to Fontana Dam and had no issues.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

I have called 3 folks in the area about costing for a shuttle from Hot springs to Davenport and no answers on 2 and a "no longer a working number" on another.

I just booked a shuttle with Standing Bear.

Ken Brown's number is no longer in service. And FYI, Ron McGaha (Highlands Shuttle) has passed away.
    It is what it is.

Sorry I'm seeing this too late to offer my two cents. I parked in the FS lot twice with no issues. I used Laughing Heart for a shuttle--Kate shuttled me twice with no issues.

I parked in the lot close to Laughing Heart in June of 2017 (x2 nights) with no issues (Max Patch back to Hot Springs). Not sure if permission is needed from Laughing Heart to park in lot, but I had talked with Jeff at the Hostile.
    Last edited by tunnelbear; 04-04-2019 at 19:59.

I had a great trip. Used a shuttle with Standing Bear, was able to split it with some other guys who got dropped off along the way. Parked in the FS lot next to Laughing Heart Hostel. Car was fine. Bought a shower at Laughing Heart after my hike. Very nice folks, and very generous...free Gatorade and honey buns, most places would charge you.

Will be doing Hot Springs to Damascus in a few weeks. Can't wait!

Images

I did not know Laughing Heart did shuttles. Wish I had known that!

Quote Originally Posted by JPritch View Post
    I had a great trip. Used a shuttle with Standing Bear, was able to split it with some other guys who got dropped off along the way. Parked in the FS lot next to Laughing Heart Hostel. Car was fine. Bought a shower at Laughing Heart after my hike. Very nice folks, and very generous...free Gatorade and honey buns, most places would charge you.

Will be doing Hot Springs to Damascus in a few weeks. Can't wait!

Hot Springs to Damascus is soooo good. Enjoy

I am available to shuttle in this area.
    PM

++ New Posts ++