WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Section Hiking The CT

I am planning on section hiking the trail this year. Starting in Denver, mostly on long weekends with a couple of week long trips thrown in as work and life allow. Would like to start as soon as possible and maybe get the first few sections done early as the snow melts. I live in Grand Junction and can't directly see how the conditions are.
    Is there a site where the conditions are posted? If anyone close by can post the conditions as they open up that would be great too.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vintage Climber View Post
    I am planning on section hiking the trail this year. Starting in Denver, mostly on long weekends with a couple of week long trips thrown in as work and life allow. Would like to start as soon as possible and maybe get the first few sections done early as the snow melts. I live in Grand Junction and can't directly see how the conditions are.
    Is there a site where the conditions are posted? If anyone close by can post the conditions as they open up that would be great too.
    Colorado trail association facebook page.
    People post when sections are passable.
    By their definition generally that means anyone can get thru ..

Also....fire closures and updates...
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 04-01-2019 at 12:32.

Don’t overlook Continental Divide Trail information also.
    The CT piggybacks on the CDT for 300+ miles from the Frisco-Breckinridge area to near Elk Creek southeast of Silverton.
    Wayne

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Don’t overlook Continental Divide Trail information also.
    The CT piggybacks on the CDT for 300+ miles from the Frisco-Breckinridge area to near Elk Creek southeast of Silverton.
    Wayne
    Yup
    Realize that before CT assoc says its passable, nobo CDT hikers are coming thru san juans and collegiate west. CT assoc. passable conditions are for "average " people. That means virtually no snow, only a couple hundred yds at a time or so.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 04-01-2019 at 15:37.

Yea I kind of got that feeling that it being passible means virtually no snow. I dont want long sections of postholing but some snow is fine.
    I was thinking the first few sections, maybe up to Kenosha pass, might be hikable by end of April or early May.

I don’t remember the year. Not too long ago.
    It was a very low snow year in Colorado.
    Until about a year’s worth of snow fell from late April to early June.
    The CDT NOBO hikers were scrambling to skip over Colorado.
    Wayne

Journal Entries

People will begin posting updates, esp in lowlands, by june . Due to high snowpack, expect a bit behind normal, maybe a week. Gonna affect some cdt thrus most likely. You may find facebook posts from previous years to be guide

Why start in Denver?
    Why go to Denver at all for that matter? Disclaimer: I am not a fan of the I-25 corridor.
    Why not:
    Durango NOBO? Molas Pass in either direction?
    Wayne

I am planning on doing segments 1 and 2 the weekend of May 4. If anyone has any info on trail conditions please let me know!

I'm not a fan of the I25 corridor either but I want to do the entire trail. The early start should help with the number of other hikers I encounter I hope.

The CTF posted today they consider segments 1-3 passable.

Images

Not sure what the I25 corridor has to do with the CO trail....

But anyway, there are a couple of CO trail Facebook pages, excellent info on there. Folks tend to be very conservative w/r/t/ snow, some folks are downright paranoid of ever touching the stuff. The CTF is very conservative. But take what I say with a grain of salt, because snow doesn't bother me, though postholing is a pain sometimes. Other times it ain't bad.

Sections 1-3 are probably hikeable right now, most of 4 and 5 soon, but there will be a couple spots in 4 & 5 that will hold snow for a while, but just trudge through them, no biggie. Section 6 has that annoying Georgia pass that will be a pain until mid-late June, but if you can handle a couple miles of snow, maybe try to tack that on to 4-5, etc. Like you could do 1-3 one weekend, couple weekends later, say in mid June, try 4-6 (6 is a long section though, I'd allow 4 long days for 4-6, or 5 reasonable ones).

If you're good with the east side of the collegiates, that should be mostly snow free fairly early. But the west side is way better, that will be late July before "easy" with respect to snow. Just some thoughts. We had a huge snow year, but I've been out of town for 4 weeks, lost track of how we're doing, seems like the snow pack is melting nicely.

Thanks Rob! That's good to know. Especially the section 6 info. Things are melting pretty good here on the west slope. Hopefully the same on the other side. I want to do the collegiate west side so we will see how the snowmelt goes.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vintage Climber View Post
    Thanks Rob! That's good to know. Especially the section 6 info. Things are melting pretty good here on the west slope. Hopefully the same on the other side. I want to do the collegiate west side so we will see how the snowmelt goes.
    One of the best parts.
    Watch the snowmelt, and hit it so you still have small scattered snowfields. Fantastic scenery. Melt off is fast at 4-6" per day. 1 week is huge difference in snow cover. Time it perfectly and you be rewarded .

I did 1,2,3 last weekend. Great timing, cool weather, had it mostly to myself. I am going to hike 4 and 5 Memorial weekend. The CTF lists segment 5 as passable. 4 has snow the last 5 miles. I am guessing it will be good in a week. If anyone has any intel on section the trail please post!

I just finished segments 4 and 5. Segment 4 was very hard to follow from about miles 45 to 48. Pretty deep snow. And pretty heavy snow after mile 55 for a ways. But overall it was great! Segment 5 was fine. It looks like it will be a while before segment 6 is clear so I am thinking of jumping ahead as things open up. Does anyone know of where things might be opening up soon?

++ New Posts ++