Quote Originally Posted by seakayaker View Post
First of all....thanks for actually reading my question before blaring out "it's a shoe problem". I've got 50+ yrs experience wearing a variety of shoes and have had issues with heel blisters wearing all manner of them for as long as I can remember. I'm not concerned about the heel blisters, leukotape works well for that and I'm sure there are at least 1/2 dozen other solutions that work equally well. Everyone can have an opinion about shoes...it gets more complicated and specific when talking about feet! No one has my feet (and no one has yours or anyone else's). I'm looking for those willing to share their experiences solving similar problems with THEIR feet. There's a lot feet out there and someone has a solution that will work for me.

The MTP replacement certainly could have changed my pronation on that side. That is the only side where I am experiencing blisters on the little toe. So I think this is certainly the most likely culprit, not necessarily "THE culprit" but the one that can't be ignored.

Orthotics may be in my future. I've worn prescribed orthotics for plantar fasciitis years ago. I agree that goes on the list of possible solutions

Also...I'm flat footed so I don't consider the zero drop design of Altras to be an issue. Having the problem only on one foot also lends credence to this. My Altras are sized appropriately and there's no slippage forward/back or side-to-side.

Just based on my own experience and what I've read from others here, the first things I'll try (if only due to the ease and cost of trying) will be one or a combination of the below:

* no liners (I've been using thin, synthetic liners)---several folks commented on this being the solution for them (wouldn't that be great!)
* thinner socks (going to try DT running socks)
* lubrication (Vaseline, hikergoo, etc.)
* more powder (have been using a miniscule amount...must be sure to not use so much as to cause clumping though)
* on longer hikes will definitely remove shoes and socks, clean/dry feet, and possibly even change socks
These problems can be vexing, though it often amazes me how effective even minor changes in footgear can be. Good luck with the approach you have laid out. If you think of it, once you have gone through the list, rekindle this thread and let us know what happened. There are a lot of folks who read the forum this can benefit.