WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default anyone use the new water bottle built in filters? (Epic Water Filters)

Does anyone know about these new bottles + filters coming out being advertised as the ultimate travel water filtration? Based on their marketing it looks like it's to filter out tap water, and I can't find any claim on the type of bacteria that cause giardia and other concerns that are top of the list for AT hikers. Possibly because they aren't targeting backpackers, but a friend of mine is testing the waters so to speak on backpacking and trying to start with some lower priced options. She asked me about these but I had never seen them.

https://www.epicwaterfilters.com/

It looks like it is for tap water, not filtering out harmful bacteria. If you want a filter for things like Giardia, use a proven product like Sawyer filters.

You can do that with a Sawyer filter. Just cut the "straw" on the inside of the water bottle short enough so the filter slides on to the filter's clean side hose connector and the the dirty side opening will be just at the bottom of the bottle when you put the lid on. I've considered that, but maybe more for travel overseas where water is sketchy rather than backpacking.

There are numerous other filters on the market that do the same, or better, than the Sawyer filters.
    Wayne

++ New Posts ++