WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: mcD on trail?

Default mcD on trail?

Should I assume there's a McDonalds in every trail town? If not, which has them?

Bleck! Ewwww
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Trambo View Post
    Should I assume there's a McDonalds in every trail town? If not, which has them?
    most trail towns arent places with all the big national chains.

theres a few but i want to say they're the exception not the rule. mostly in a few of the bigger places. pearisburg. waynesboro. carlisle. but the bigger places are by definition bigger and the McDs is probably not right by the trail

also depends on what you mean by trail town. i'm thinking of only places the trail passes through or within a mile or two of. if you want to expand that out to 5-10 miles off trail the chances go up

Every retail company worth a hoot has a location feature on their web pages. I’m sure McD has that.
    You are wrong.
    I know of a trail town lacking a McD: Hot Springs, NC. It won’t be missed. There are far better places to eat in Hot Springs.
    Wayne

Images

Well, there's one in Hiawassee GA for starters. Probably the furthest south McD's in an AT "trail town". And then at the other end, there's one in Gorham NH, which is probably the furthest one north actually in a "trail town" - although there is one about 15 miles from Monson, ME in Dover-Foxcroft if you really need to burger up to be "lovin' it" thru the 100 mile. Obviously you'll find some in the larger trail towns or the next town over along the way, but don't count on it even once a week.
    But to reiterate PennyPincher's all too perfect response :

Quote Originally Posted by PennyPincher View Post
    Bleck! Ewwww
    ^^^Yep. I'm lovin' it.

You can reward yourself with a McD's after conquering Mt. Katahdin at Millinocket, Maine.
    It was there in 1977 and was there four years ago.

Zooming in on any trail town on Goggle Maps pretty much tells what is available.

I trust the Smoky Mountain Cafe still stands? Good Food and Great Hospitality! The Hell with MackiDees!

Default mcD on trail?

i expressed neither the desire to hear your personal opinion, nor alternatives to my question. People talk about eating buffet foids all if the time, which are downright toxic, and McD chicken is one of the best values that ive found.

The towns that have the clown usually have gas station and convenience store best values next door - twinkles, wHo wHo's, candy, Poop Tarts, Harshees candy bars, flavored Slush icy drinks, zero cal delicious sodas, and Hamms beer.

i expressed neither the desire to hear your personal opinion, nor alternatives to my question. People talk about eating buffet foids all if the time, which are downright toxic, and McD chicken is one of the best values that ive found.
    Being rude to other members of the forum is a great way to behave. I really recommend it if you're trying to get helpful advice for free.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

i expressed neither the desire to hear your personal opinion, nor alternatives to my question.
    But that's the best part about WB: getting (and eventually giving - resistance is futile) unsolicited advice. It's even better if you're totally unqualified to provide an opinion on the subject matter.

Your original post was a simple, legitimate question and the first reply was: "Bleck! Ewwww" followed by other less than helpful responses. What's that all about? I've also found McDonalds a great value and generally very hiker friendly for such things as bathroom breaks, phone charging, catching a ride back to the trailhead with other customers. Lighten up folks.

There are two in Franklin, NC; one in Bryson City, NC; one in Cherokee, NC; one in Gatlinburg, TN; Erwin, TN has one; Elizabethton, TN has two. That's as far up the trail as I'm familiar with in the Micky Dee's line.
    Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.

Images

how bored and in procrastinate mode i am...
    the 2017 (most recent i have) companion mentions the word "McDonald's" on 18 pages.

Hiawwhatiscalled, GA- but thats over 10 miles from the trail
    franklin, NC (9 miles off trail)
    erwin, TN (distance not immediately clear but the trail skirts one edge of town and the McDs is on the other side of town)
    hampton, tn- about 3-4 miles off trail
    pearisburg- i dunno, but i'm going o guess 3 miles
    daleville- maybe only a mile or two but on the other side of the "dangerously narrow underpass" so essentially not accessible by foot from the trail. youd have to really want that chicken sandwhich to try that walk
    waynesboro- 4-5 miles from trail
    luray, va- 10 miles easily i'm guessing
    front royal- 4 miles or so
    lickdale- 2.5 miles off trail
    port clinton- about 2 miles
    slatington- about 2 miles
    bennington (wow thats a long way with no big macs!) about 5-6 miles
    manchester- 6-7 miles
    rutland- far from trail (over 7 miles) but it depends on which way you get to rutland and at least theres a bus
    lincoln- 6-7 miles
    gorham- 4-5 miles
    millinocket- over 15 miles.

you're welcome. seems closest to the trail is probably daleville, but only if death defying car dodging is your thing.

i'm booking marking this post for next time 'gator says all i ever do on here is pick fights with people : )

It looks like you could walk on the outside of the barriers in Daleville to stay safe from traffic. Not worth it to me, but reasonably safe.

Daleville 220.jpg
    Last edited by CalebJ; 03-27-2019 at 09:38.

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Nope.

Assume nothing about trail towns. You would be lucky if the town has a Dollar General or gas station with enough supplies for another 3 days.

When in Erwin, don't eat at McDonalds. Eat at Pal's.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Images

Quote Originally Posted by CalebJ View Post
    Being rude to other members of the forum is a great way to behave. I really recommend it if you're trying to get helpful advice for free.

you mean after members here were rude to him?

granted-----the opinions given wouldnt have (or at least not supposed to) happened in the Straight Forward section, but one shouldn't call the OP rude when all he was looking for was where mcdonalds were at and not how to eat healthy......

Images

Quote Originally Posted by CalebJ View Post
    It looks like you could walk on the outside of the barriers in Daleville to stay safe from traffic. Not worth it to me, but reasonably safe.

Daleville 220.jpg
    if the OP or anyone else is planning on giving that a go let me know so i can plan a trip down just to see it. you could also try the top of the center divider. getting around the posts will be tricky but doable.

my mind is still reeling from the idea that if you use "distance from nearest McD's" as the metric the most remote part of the trail may just be northern PA through MA.

Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post
    you mean after members here were rude to him?

granted-----the opinions given wouldnt have (or at least not supposed to) happened in the Straight Forward section, but one shouldn't call the OP rude when all he was looking for was where mcdonalds were at and not how to eat healthy......
    Fair. It was more a knee jerk reaction to what has been a pattern with the OP.

The new edition of WhiteBlaze Pages has all the major fast food chains on the trail town maps.

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++