WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: EE Enigma Quilt

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fastfoxengineering View Post
    When i got my first quilt.. i froze in 45* weather. Had no idea how to stay warm in it because i was dumping all the heat out every 20 min.

I ordered a Katabatic.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk
    Draft collar, better fit to shoulders, differential cut, trapezoid footbox.

You get what you pay for, .. .or...in some cases you dont.

Without a doubt quilts are better than bags in every single way..... Except warmth. That's the one that counts the most. The simple fact is a quilt needs a greater thickness of insulation then a bag to be as warm as the bag is. And, you need a head covering. With the extra extra wide sizes all these people want to get today, you're not saving any weight at all. And they're not as warm either.

And that's fine, until somebody expected to be warm to rating, and and they're not.
    I added 1.5 oz of down to my 20 F quilt. To make it near-er to 20 realistically.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 03-31-2019 at 13:16.

I'm semi-interested in the Enigma Apex 50F. Does EE still use those cheesy neck snaps, or has that been fixed? Deal-killer if not...
    11.5oz or less for a 6' Wide Enigma..that seems awful light for a synthetic. The undersized and overrated summer quilt I have weighs more, and it has 850 Hyperdry(and too little of it!).
    How close are the EEs to their claimed widths and weights?

I have a current (more fill!) 30deg Enigma and IMO the rating is fairly accurate for me. 950fp/7D @14.2oz

I have a 40deg Prodigy (now called Revolution Apex) from several years ago and feel that its rating is pretty good. 17.7oz w/10D shell.

For the older 20deg Enigma 850fp/10D @22.1oz... okay, now that rating is more than a bit optimistic.

Leonidas

Quote Originally Posted by OwenM View Post
    I'm semi-interested in the Enigma Apex 50F. Does EE still use those cheesy neck snaps, or has that been fixed? Deal-killer if not...
    11.5oz or less for a 6' Wide Enigma..that seems awful light for a synthetic. The undersized and overrated summer quilt I have weighs more, and it has 850 Hyperdry(and too little of it!).
    How close are the EEs to their claimed widths and weights?
    I have a long/wide 50 degree EE Enigma APEX. It came in under stated weight. 325g They still use a neck snap as far as I am aware.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Is it glued on, or integral to the quilt?
    How do you like your Enigma?
    It's already warm enough to use it!

Leonidas

Quote Originally Posted by OwenM View Post
    Is it glued on, or integral to the quilt?
    How do you like your Enigma?
    It's already warm enough to use it!
    It is a plastic snap that I assume goes completely through the material. I don't really notice that it is there unless it is cold enough to want it closed. The only time that happens is when I bring the 50 and the 40 degree APEX Enigmas. I have slept in them stacked down to 22 degrees and been warm in running tights, a merino t shirt, and a polartec toque. I had my puffy on for part of the night but got too warm.
    I like it enough that I have two of them, at some point, I plan to pickup a third but in the 850 fp down and rated to 30 degrees. The two APEX quilts take up a decent amount of space in my pack. I went with the Enigma because if anything gets cold for me, it is my feet, so the closed footbox made more sense.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

And I'm looking at the Enigma because my feet never really get hot or cold, but I don't like snaps and zippers, so always prefer a closed footbox

Thanks very much!
    I'm already shopping color combos in another window...

The snap at the neck is a Kam snap, which seems to have just the right amount of hold to get the job done but releases if it's over-stressed as you move around while sleeping.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++