WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Arc Haul and Arc Blast

This is what Zpack's website says about the Blast:

The pack is constructed from tough 2.92 oz/sqyd Dyneema Composite Fabric (DCF). This material is made with ultra high strength Dyneema fiber on the inside, with a protective layer of 50 denier Polyester on the outside. The outer layer gives it even more strength, prevents fraying, and gives it a nice solid color. The material and design can handle loads up to 35 lbs (16 kg).

This is what the website says about the Haul:

The Arc Haul has all the same design features as the Arc Blast, except that it is made in heavier duty 4.8 oz/sqyd Gridstop fabric. This fabric is a bit thicker and better against abrasion. It can handle a little more weight.

My question is - is the Haul 100% nylon or does it have a heavier outer layer but has a DCF inner layer?

Images

The Arc Haul I bought several years ago is not cuben fiber at all, it's a gridstop nylon fabric all the way through. It's held up well.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

No DCF on the Arc Haul. All Dyneema (not Dyneema Composite)

Can anybody speak on the volume differences between the two packs, 55L Blast vs 62L Haul. I'm picturing extra space to the tune of three of those big 2 liter soda bottles, but in practical terms, just curious if it's substantial or not. I have the Blast and love it, but I'm a bit concerned about lack of space for some longer treks I have planned in the future. Thinking of getting a Haul for those trips.
    It is what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by JPritch View Post
    Can anybody speak on the volume differences between the two packs, 55L Blast vs 62L Haul. I'm picturing extra space to the tune of three of those big 2 liter soda bottles, but in practical terms, just curious if it's substantial or not. I have the Blast and love it, but I'm a bit concerned about lack of space for some longer treks I have planned in the future. Thinking of getting a Haul for those trips.
    Yes, the volume difference is substantial.

If 3 oz extra doesn't bother you and you want one do-all pack, the Haul is the way to go. For smaller loads the side compression cords work brilliantly to reduce volume and keep the load close to your back, so you don't end up with a floppy pack and/or gear drooping over your tush.

For some people — roughly 50% of Haul owners, and I'm one of them — the bottom crossbar on the frame causes immediate discomfort without a supplemental lumbar pad, even with a very light load. However, a friend of mine recently got a Blast (which has the same frame) and finds it quite comfortable with no supplemental lumbar pad.

I have 2 old-style Blasts and love 'em, but if I were doing a thru the Haul would be my choice. I backpack frequently in an area that the AT traverses and am seeing more and more Hauls in use. Just last week I met 3 thrus and a couple of lashers, and among them there were 3 Hauls, an Osprey and a GG of some sort... Gorilla or Mariposa.

Thanks for the insight CMoulder! Exactly what I was looking for. I've had my Blast at near capacity a few trips where I had to bring extra clothing and do a large food carry. I wasn't very confident I'd be able to comfortably carry 7-10 days worth of food in a bear can along with a warm sleeping bag and extra clothing. I'm going to give the Haul a serious look....sounds like a good gear investment.
    It is what it is.

++ New Posts ++