WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Anyone use candle- powered, lights in their tents these days?

I ask because when I section-hiked in the 90’s (pre-smart phones era) I used this. I just weighed it & it came to .3 pounds I guess it’s a trade- off because if you use your headlamp you going to use that battery or your smart phone flashlight is going to use that battery. Candles, on the other hand don’t consume any battery.

It’s got a glass enclosure so it’s safe as far as the flame not touching anything directly

I still use mine occasionally in the fall. It can supply a fair amount of heat inside a tent. Of course, one does need to be careful when used inside a tent.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

We used one on the Presidential trip a month ago. I never had before, but would probably do it again on winter trips when I'm likely to be enclosed for a long night. A bit of light that's not reliant on a headlamp's direction, some warmth, etc. With 10* outside temperatures, the interior temp of the tent stayed around freezing with the candle going. As Slo-go'en mentioned though, you do need to be cautious and obviously put it out before going to bed.

I have one somewhere. Haven't used it lately, probably will some time.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Forgot to mention that it’s got a parabolic(?) shiny metal piece that just hangs off the top of the enclosure to direct light out. You can see it if you look closely.
    My main concern, aside from the obvious safety ones, are the weight when carrying a couple spare candles along

Last edited by TwigBoy; 03-21-2019 at 17:07.

It depends on how long your going out for. One extra candle for a one or two night trip isn't unreasonable. Extend that to a week or more, then it's back to the flashlight. Finding someone who sells the extra candles can be a problem.

Used to be we used candles all the time. Every shelter had a wine bottle candle holder covered with wax. Kind of miss those days...

You can use regular candles too. I used to make and use candles quite a bit and I would save the stubbies for my candle lantern.I still like to take mine in the winter for tenting but otherwise it's excess weight as batteries overall last longer and weigh less.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

does any one besides me just think this is crazy pretty sure a spare set of batteries weigh less and are seeming safer i say leave it in the 90's just my opinion.......i mean nostalgic purpose that s h i t is tight though i mean i wish it were a simpler time with simpler methods

I like the BTUs a candle lantern adds in cold weather. I like to read in my tent, so I supplement the lantern with a headlamp as well. In warm weather, I use a LED squeeze light instead.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

I do not use one solely because my current tent is made of sil-nylon which is far more flamable than the older style nylon/polyurethane tents and it’s not worth the risk. I have used similar candle lanterns in the past with other tents.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Images

I only use mine when winter camping to keep condensation low. As mentioned above. In warm weather a led headlamp wins over on weight issuses.

Images

Have one of the old brass ones, which look sharp but weigh more. It's been relegated to the RV for accent light, especially when sitting around the campfire. Too heavy for hiking.

A candle is so much nicer for ambient light then a harsh blue/white LED. It's like a minature campfire. I wouldn't bother in the summer as it stays light pretty late. Candles are more suited for fall/winter use.

Used candles in the 90s, just not a lantern.

Then there is this.I wish I still had one. Pretty light, with mica windows. RATS! picture won't copy.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

I used my home made 1 oz water cooled version a few times.
    Costs next to nothing to make

I carry a candle lantern in the winter. Really nice when staying in a shelter alone for general lighting.

I have one and was wondering if it's good for keeping moisture out of a tent

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

I have noticed some reduction in condensation build up but please remember to never ,ever fall asleep with a candle burning.
    So not something to use after a long day on the trail, more one for long winter evenings and well before sleep time.
    (just my opinion...)

Journal Entries

Just bring a battery powered candle

These things look very real. My wife has them all over on timers or photo cells, come on automatically after dark. Yeah, its weird.

Last edited by MuddyWaters; 03-23-2019 at 22:15.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++