WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Weird. I tested it at home with the handle up and it got very hot. I’ll test again.
    Last edited by Traffic Jam; 03-25-2019 at 21:08.

Quote Originally Posted by Traffic Jam View Post
    Weird. I tested it at home with the handle up and it got very hot. I’ll test again.
    The handle on my lantern has a 3" chain attached to it, so the hook is a tad more then 6" from the top of the lantern. The hook being that far away doesn't get hot at all. I can hold it between my fingers indefinitely.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    The handle on my lantern has a 3" chain attached to it, so the hook is a tad more then 6" from the top of the lantern. The hook being that far away doesn't get hot at all. I can hold it between my fingers indefinitely.
    Sorry, I misremembered the results of my home test.

The issue was the result of trialing the mini uco using a beeswax votive. A votive is too tall and makes the flame touch the top piece, heating it beyond safe temps.

Also, my concern about hanging the lantern is due to the base coming off too easily. I barely touch it, the base unscrews, and the lantern falls apart. It worries me that it will fall apart while hanging and start a fire.

Does this happen to others with the mini Uco? I thought mine might be defective. I like it but don’t trust it unless it’s on the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Traffic Jam View Post
    Sorry, I misremembered the results of my home test.

The issue was the result of trialing the mini uco using a beeswax votive. A votive is too tall and makes the flame touch the top piece, heating it beyond safe temps.

Also, my concern about hanging the lantern is due to the base coming off too easily. I barely touch it, the base unscrews, and the lantern falls apart. It worries me that it will fall apart while hanging and start a fire.

Does this happen to others with the mini Uco? I thought mine might be defective. I like it but don’t trust it unless it’s on the ground.
    The base on mine is pretty secure, never had it fall out. I have had it about 20 years and used it more during power failures and car camping than backpacking. I can't speak to the handle issue but I believe beeswax burns hotter than paraffin.
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

TexasBob - are you using the original or the mini? My experience is only with the original, but no issues at all with it coming apart.

Quote Originally Posted by CalebJ View Post
    TexasBob - are you using the original or the mini? My experience is only with the original, but no issues at all with it coming apart.
    I was talking about the mini. I have the regular also and had no issues with it either.
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

I watched some videos and mine is definitely not right. In all the videos, they can lift the frame off of the base and the glass stays in place. As well as not staying locked in place when I turn the base, (I barely touch it and it unlocks), my glass falls out when the frame and base are separated.

Setting the record straight...I’m a dork. I used a corkscrew to push in the side tabs a little bit which secured the glass in the frame. I also forcefully screwed the frame onto the base which caused it to lock in place. It isn’t defective after all. Can’t wait to use it on my next hike.

I guess I’m dumb and irresponsible but I burn my uco mini often in my tents. I hang it from my clothesline on a Prussik loop with a Dutch ridgeline biner and let her burn. A tea light seems to last about 4 hrs. Doesn’t seem like a big deal to me if your mindful, especially compared to the world of hot tents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haven't used mine in decades. A couple of lithium batteries will weigh less and last much longer, for the same amount of light, than any candle will. I don't like the weight. I HATE the glass that has to be handled with care and makes a big and arguably dangerous mess if you screw up.

The only upsides are a little bit of warmth (generally too hot to handle without great care), and the candle can actually make a great fire starter. So, keep the candle and throw away the lantern. ;-)
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

We used to use the folding metal candle lantern with the big muscovite mica windows. That would have been about 1975-1978. Great product, quite durable and very bright. The top would get pretty warm...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++