WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Bald Mountain Shelter

A Google search shows it being permanently closed...is this accurate? Doing a section from Devils Fork Gap to Erwin tomorrow/Sat and was looking to camp around there due to low 20s and high winds forecast for Big Bald on Friday night. Thanks!

Images

I didn't see anything posted on the ATC website.

http://appalachiantrail.org/home/exp.../trail-updates
    It's all good in the woods.

Where did you see that? I don't see why it would be unless a tree fell on it this winter.

Even if it's closed you should still be able to tent there. But if I remember right, it's still in a pretty exposed area. In fact, Bald Mt is very exposed, being a bald and all that. Sounds like there will be 1-2" of snow coming there tonight. Wind guts up to 45 mph friday afternoon, high of 39. That will put the wind chill down in the teens and that fresh snow will be slush and mud.

Doesn't sound like a good day to be up there and that's a pretty ambious 30 miles for an overnight trip. Have you done that section before and know what to expect? Good luck.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

1st listing on Google...figured it might be bear activity.

Haven't done that section but normally do 15 to 20 mile days. Pretty prepared physically, gear, etc. Staying in Erwin tonight so will keep a keen eye on possible conditions. Thanks for the info.

Journal Entries
    Images

Exclamation Can't find your link

A Google search shows it being permanently closed
    ...1st listing on Google
    I just Googled
    bald mountain shelter
    and found this:
    https://www.google.com/search?client...untain+shelter

Nothing about it closing in any of the links on the first page.

Suggest you do a re-search and then post the EXACT link you found.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Where did you see that? I don't see why it would be unless a tree fell on it this winter.

Even if it's closed you should still be able to tent there. But if I remember right, it's still in a pretty exposed area. In fact, Bald Mt is very exposed, being a bald and all that. Sounds like there will be 1-2" of snow coming there tonight. Wind guts up to 45 mph friday afternoon, high of 39. That will put the wind chill down in the teens and that fresh snow will be slush and mud.

Doesn't sound like a good day to be up there and that's a pretty ambious 30 miles for an overnight trip. Have you done that section before and know what to expect? Good luck.
    That shelter is past the bald in trees so the wind shouldn't be too bad. There's lots of tenting around. There used to be bear cables and a privy there too.

Quote Originally Posted by FrogLevel View Post
    That shelter is past the bald in trees so the wind shouldn't be too bad. There's lots of tenting around. There used to be bear cables and a privy there too.
    The trees aren't going to help much this time of year. It's still pretty high up and on the west side, which is the direction the wind will be coming from. I bet it will still be pretty windy there.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenBear View Post
    I just Googled
    bald mountain shelter
    and found this:
    https://www.google.com/search?client...untain+shelter

Nothing about it closing in any of the links on the first page.

Suggest you do a re-search and then post the EXACT link you found.
    my guess is there is more than one "bald mountain shelter" in the world and based on the OP's search history or location or something google guessed wrong.

though that said even my searching "bald mountain shelter closed" yielded no results, so my next guess is.... time travel? for the record OP, its 2019 where we are.

Interesting. I think the next step is to ask the ATC. I doubt the shelter is closed if the ATC hasn't said anything about it.
    Trail Name - Slapshot
    "One step at a time."
    Blog - www.tonysadventure.com

Journal Entries
    Images

Exclamation Bald Mountain Shelter

I know for an absolute fact that, as of 2018 August 7, Bald Mountain Shelter was open -- because I stayed there that night.
    http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...t=#post2219207

Nobody has posted anything on the Whiteblaze page for that shelter since.
    The ATC reports that Watauga Lake Shelter is closed, but says nothing about Bald Mountain Shelter.
    No other link found through Google, Yahoo, or Bing (yes, I checked all three) found any real statement about the shelter being closed.

Meaning two possibilities:
    1) The Google statement is correct, and the shelter closed permanently less than eight months ago without any notice or mention by any other person or organization.
    OR
    2) The Google statement is incorrect.

10 4...precisely why I checked in with you fine folks

46 and a touch of drizzle in Erwin right now...burger and fries @ Dari Ace

Journal Entries

Screenshot_20190321-132123.png

Ummm...thus is stuff someone put into google like it was a commercial location. It has no hours of operation

Please dont accept google as an authority

Quote Originally Posted by FrogLevel View Post
    Tenting at Bald Mtn shelter was restricted when I went through a few years ago, has that changed? I know there are a few spots just north of the shelter.

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Bald Mtn Shelter is open. Something tells me someone was playing around with Google Maps and listed it as closed. There may have been a prescribed burn that closed it for a day or two. CMC

The only closed shelters in the area is Watauga Lake due to bear problems. Apple House was dismantled years ago.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Thanks Viking!

Images

Googled Knot Maul Branch Shelter the other day and saw the same thing. Could find any other information that it was closed.

Went from Sams to Spivey Tuesday. The shelter was open with bags of garbage under the bear cables. No signage stating it’s closed.

Quote Originally Posted by Seatbelt View Post
    Tenting at Bald Mtn shelter was restricted when I went through a few years ago, has that changed? I know there are a few spots just north of the shelter.
    It was "normal" in the fall when I was there. There has been closures in the past in the areas leading up to the shelter for restoration but that was 5 or so years ago from what I remember.

Confirmed open lol...here tonight. Helluva hike from Devils Fork Gap...plenty of snow...Big Bald was brutal with snow/very high wind. 3 others at the shelter tonight.

++ New Posts ++