WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Rain gear

Default Rain gear

I am starting a LASH on May 2 on the AT and headed to Katahdin. I have hiked thru PA in May before and it was chilly and wet. Very wet.

I am planning on starting with a Frogg Toggs ultra lite jacket with a rain kilt. I like the kilt cause of air flow. I have hiked in a poncho and a kilt on the AT for many miles. Never a Frogg Toggs. I know it may get beat up but $20 get a new one.

I have rain pants that i will be mailing to Hanover since I think they will be needed in the Whites. Wind, chill factor possibilities.

I also own a Marmot Precip. Do i need a heavier weight rain jacket like the precip in the whites? I could mail it also. Would I need either of these any earlier?

I plan on being in Hanover somewhere last week in July.

I have been going back and forth on this issue for awhile. Any info would be appreciated.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Are you starting at Katahdin May 2 and going south?

Where and when are you starting? Starting the last week in July at Hanover?

If your starting the last week of July at Hanover, all you need to worry about for the next month is thunderstorms. These usually come in the evening around here and can put on quite the light show. So, hopefully you'll be in a reasonably well protected place by then and not on an exposed ridge with no where to go. Watch the weather!

Late afternoon T-storms are generally over pretty quickly and are very localized. It can be litterally pouring buckets in one place and not a drop 1/4 mile away. I've actually watched them coming while up on summits. At some point you realize that it is indeed headed straight for you and it's time to get below tree line asap. When it does reach you it will be immediately intense rain. Not much warning to get a jacket on. You got maybe 1-2 minutes after feeling the first gust of wind and drop of rain hit you.

As for the jacket, it's a toss up. The cheap-o tan Toggs will get you by, but tend to get shredded by the overgrown trails common near tree line and much of Maine. I'd upgrade to the heavier duty Blue jacket.

This last summer I carried the tan Toggs in my daypack just in case and never actually need it. I was on a trail nearly 5 days out of 7 for all of July and August, 3 days of trail brushing and 2 days of day hikes. We really didn't have a lot of rain last summer now that I think about it. It was really hot and muggy though. That all changed in late September and October.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Sorry, starting at harpers ferry may 2 NOBO

Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye View Post
    Are you starting at Katahdin May 2 and going south?
    That got me confused. I sure hope he's not trying to SOBO starting May 2nd. That would be foolish. I can't really figure out where he'd start on May 2nd and end up at Hanover the last week of July. That about 60 days and at a very modest pace of 10 MPD, 600 miles south of Hanover is southern PA, I'd guess starting at Harpers Ferry on May 2nd would be reasonable, and did say he's hiked PA before in May.

So, if that's the case, I'd definitely take the Blue Toggs, that's what I'm bringing for that section about the same time.

Sorry guys. Starting HF may 2. Will be around Hanover, nh......last week in June.....not july....sorry

Quote Originally Posted by Wesgoat View Post
    Sorry guys. Starting HF may 2. Will be around Hanover, nh......last week in June.....not july....sorry

Same advice, the cheap-o jacket doesn't last too long. Since you got the Precip, might as well take that and be done with it. The only thing worse then no rain gear is poor rain gear.

Last year I used a Frog Togg Poncho in the Thunderstorms. The Pre Cip was too hard to get on in time and too hot. I used a Wind Shirt for Warmth and to stay dry in light rain. If I were doing it again, (hoping to do DWG - Hanover this year), I would drop the Precip and a Pack Cover and go with The Packa. Best of all worlds and worth the price. Here is a review if you haven't seen it before: https://youtu.be/2xRx-og2MY8
    Happy HikN
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesgoat View Post
    Well... that changes Everything! Just kidding... my choice would be to stick with the Precip since you have one, and bring an umbrella. I would not recommend a Precip if you didn't already have one - I thought mine was worthless. I'm quite content with my Frogg Toggs jacket, and my LL Bean O2 jacket kept me dry wandering around Scotland, and yes, I'm one of those weirdos that carries an umbrella and a jacket. I get plenty of envious looks when it's in use.

I have a nice pair of GoLite rain pants. Never used them, so I've stopped carrying them, but I might include them in NH and Maine.

Your plan is workable. I wouldn't over think it. Neither piece has appreciable ventability features or enhanced breathability IMO, no matter what might be said. With your two rain jacket options either is going be hot, and at times, uncomfortable with high exertion.

Quote Originally Posted by gbolt View Post
    Last year I used a Frog Togg Poncho in the Thunderstorms. The Pre Cip was too hard to get on in time and too hot. I used a Wind Shirt for Warmth and to stay dry in light rain. If I were doing it again, (hoping to do DWG - Hanover this year), I would drop the Precip and a Pack Cover and go with The Packa. Best of all worlds and worth the price.
    Pretty hard to beat the Packa. Just don’t do like I did - I left it behind hanging on a nail outside of Elisa Brook Shelter in Maine. Realized I forgot it a couple hours later. Spent the next hour kicking myself.

Anyway, the best feature is it covers the arms, and it vent better than any other resin gear because it zips in the front. As you walk along, when partially unzipped,the air billows the Packa all around you and doesn’t get hot.

Even though I could wear a medium, I went with the largest size, to give another 4” in length- to the knees (I’m 5’10”)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
    Pretty hard to beat the Packa. Just don’t do like I did - I left it behind hanging on a nail outside of Elisa Brook Shelter in Maine. Realized I forgot it a couple hours later. Spent the next hour kicking myself.

Anyway, the best feature is it covers the arms, and it vent better than any other resin gear because it zips in the front. As you walk along, when partially unzipped,the air billows the Packa all around you and doesn’t get hot.

Even though I could wear a medium, I went with the largest size, to give another 4” in length- to the knees (I’m 5’10”)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Another Packa user here. Works for me in serious rain. I also pack a very light wind shirt, wool base layers, and a light fleece. It's a pretty light total. Well worth your consideration.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Another Packa fan. I really became a believer after three days of straight rain. I was dry and my hiking partner was wet in his Silnylon rain jacket

Quote Originally Posted by Two Tents View Post
    Another Packa fan. I really became a believer after three days of straight rain. I was dry and my hiking partner was wet in his Silnylon rain jacket
    Silnylon doesn't make a very good rain jacket.

Quote Originally Posted by Two Tents View Post
    Love my Packa too. No problems with it yet.
    humor is the gadfly on the corpse of tragedy

Thanks Guys
    Cedar Tree

Quote Originally Posted by Cedar Tree View Post
    Thanks Guys
    Cedar Tree
    Thank You for a great product(s) from a cottage industry and fellow Hiker!
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

Default Rain gear

Quote Originally Posted by gbolt View Post
    Last year I used a Frog Togg Poncho in the Thunderstorms. The Pre Cip was too hard to get on in time and too hot. I used a Wind Shirt for Warmth and to stay dry in light rain. If I were doing it again, (hoping to do DWG - Hanover this year), I would drop the Precip and a Pack Cover and go with The Packa. Best of all worlds and worth the price. Here is a review if you haven't seen it before: https://youtu.be/2xRx-og2MY8
    Happy HikN
    Thank you. I’m going to look into this because it’s the best of both worlds, cover and jacket and because my current pack cover is 20+ years old and I don’t want to wear jacket under pack straps.
    Last edited by TwigBoy; 03-24-2019 at 15:31.

Quote Originally Posted by TwigBoy View Post
    Thank you. I’m going to look into this because it’s the best of both worlds, cover and jacket and because my current pack cover is 20+ years old and I don’t want to wear jacket under pack straps.
    May seem petty, with all the other “hassles” to embrace; but I also hated wet straps and more importantly soaked hip belt pockets!
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

++ New Posts ++