WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: A better Ramen

Sapporo Ichiban is better than average. It translates from Japanese as "Sapporo's Number One". Sapporo has historically been a big ramen town. I lived there in 1971 and there was a ramen shop on just about every corner, so the marketing strategy to associate with that city makes sense (at least to their Japanese buyers). Of course it's still instant ramen, but I will pay extra to get it. Around where I live it is available in most major grocery stores, but in the Asian food aisle, not with regular cheap ramen which is often found in the soup aisle. I have seen other brands of instant noodle soup in the Asian food aisle but not tried them. I would assume they are all probably better than the cheap crap.

I finally know what ichiban means.

For the win Alex, How do you say Dyneema Composite Fiber in Japanese?

Why not just use egg noodles? They cook quick and are probably much better for you then Ramen. Your throwing out the chemical flavor pack anyway. Add some butter and cheese and maybe a pack of tuna would make a decent meal.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Out of the fire into the firing pan?

I just made a delivery to the local Ramen plant (no, they don't sell to the public, no matter what). The better Ramen you find in the ethnic markets and the plain old stuff that rolls off the line is made all in the same plant. The only difference is the spice pack and the lack of MSG. A better alternative is to take your leftovers from your favorite Chinese restaurant and dry them. Nothing like a yummy bowl of Szechuan Beef!

W8lkinUSA

Quote Originally Posted by Two Tents View Post
    The bigger Oriental markets have an entire isle with nothing but noodles, soups and ramen
    That's right. Nothing, but boxes of noodles. There should also be an isle with individual noodle packs before one commits to an entire box.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    This is by far my favorite, although it is rice noodles and not wheat noodles.
    Less carbohydrates are great when not in the trail.

Quote Originally Posted by Mother Natures Son View Post
    A better alternative is to take your leftovers from your favorite Chinese restaurant and dry them. Nothing like a yummy bowl of Szechuan Beef!
    What a great idea!! General Tzo's chicken is my preference though.

Quote Originally Posted by oldwetherman View Post
    Wow! I always thought all ramen was pretty much the same. I've got to get more in touch with my taste buds!
    I have tried several brands from an Asian market including some of those mentioned and I guess I am no gourmet because frankly there wasn't much difference in the noodles themselves. The difference to me was in the flavor packets. I just go with what is in the grocery store and add some butter and only about half the flavor pack.
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

I just made a delivery to the local Ramen plant (no, they don't sell to the public, no matter what). The better Ramen you find in the ethnic markets and the plain old stuff that rolls off the line is made all in the same plant. The only difference is the spice pack and the lack of MSG. A better alternative is to take your leftovers from your favorite Chinese restaurant and dry them. Nothing like a yummy bowl of Szechuan Beef!
    Ford has made the $15 k Fiesta which, I will not go there, and $3,ooo,ooo Shelby GR- 1 Concepts.

Generalization. Had a Chinese neighbor and have Asian acquaintances, many in Hawaii, some of whom are owners of ethnic based restaurants and med large ethnic based grocery stores who said said differently. I've went shopping with them or had them walk me through their Asian grocery stores to translate ingredients list and the ingredient list of the noodles themselves are not all the same. As an ingredient list reader not knowing Korean, Chinese , Japanese, etc is why I will not buy noodles that aren't in English unless I have them with me to translate.

W8lkinUSA

Quote Originally Posted by TexasBob View Post
    I have tried several brands from an Asian market including some of those mentioned and I guess I am no gourmet because frankly there wasn't much difference in the noodles themselves. The difference to me was in the flavor packets. I just go with what is in the grocery store and add some butter and only about half the flavor pack.
    Ramen, itself, has few differences, but its thickness changes the flavor profile due to noodle-to-seasoning ratio.

Most people will only need half the seasoning packet. That's why you can always leave the remainder in a jar for use with soba or udon noodles.

Default A better Ramen

Quote Originally Posted by Mouser999 View Post
    Looking for a better brand. Dont really like the Maruchan
    I like the nissin brand & they are one of the less expensive brands. My main concern is the sodium content as some brands really overdo it. The portion is a little smaller but it’s made in Japan and I like it
    Last edited by TwigBoy; 03-24-2019 at 16:21.

If the packaged spice mixture is omitted, or used sparingly, is that where most of the sodium is?
    Conversely, if you’re hiking big miles day after day, aren’t electrolytes a good thing?
    Wayne

Na is only one electrolyte. Those spice packets often contain more than Na.

Cheap Ramen is cheap highly processed nutritionally dismal industrialized factory food. It's 9 cts retail a package in bulk for the cheapest brands and versions. What is the "food" quality of something like that?
    Of all things we waste money on we're going to try to recoup it with 9 ct "dinners."

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    I finally know what ichiban means.
    For the win Alex, How do you say Dyneema Composite Fiber in Japanese?
    Dainima Kamupasetu ???

Japanese only has 5 vowel sounds: a (as in law), i (as in bee), u (as in moo), e (as in bed), o (as in mow)
    You can combine vowels to create a diphthong: ai (as in eye) or ei (as in hey)
    These rules can get your Dainima for Dyneema.

However, in Japanese, every syllable must end with a vowel sound (except n which can be used at the end of a syllable) and many consonants are different or missing. This creates real problems with words like composite and fiber because they have syllables ending in M, T and R sounds, and there is no Fi. Plus T and R are pretty different. Most commonly, when converting an English Word into a Japanese word, they will add an extra vowel at the end of the syllable, hence the extra u's. This could give us Kamupasetu for Composite, but there might be other options. For Fiber, we're screwed as there is no F sound in Japanese, except for Fu (as in Fuji), although it is not really pronounced quite the same in Japanese.

One of the better known Japanese words that is a transliteration of English is Aisukurimu (Ice Cream).

When writing Japanese words that have been borrowed from another language, they will be spelled with the Katakana alphabet. Japanese has three alphabets. Kanji are symbolic characters borrowed from Chinese (and usually having the same meaning). The Japanese and Chinese languages are completely unrelated so people from these two countries could not understand each other at all if talking to each other, but curiously they could communicate by writing. Japanese also has two phonetic alphabets where each character represents a vowel or a syllable (a consonant/vowel combination) plus the character n. The Hirigana alphabet is used for writing Japanese words and the Katakana alphabet is used for writing foreign words.

So:

Dyneema Composite Fiber
    Dainima Kamupasetu ????
    ダイニマ カムパセツ ????
    In case you were wondering, I lived in Japan for seven month when I was 12 years old so I studied all this for the first half of 7th grade. I used to be able to read Hirigana but never really learned how to speak Japanese. Now I can only remember a few words, and count.

W8lkinUSA

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Cheap Ramen is cheap highly processed nutritionally dismal industrialized factory food.
    ^^THIS.. That's why I've been eating Buckwheat Noodles with leftover seasoning as well as my seasoning creations.

Anyways, all this ramen talk got me to the Asian Market for a Ramen Haul of unfamiliar items. Looking forward to this week. This is my kind of March Madness. :-D

W8lkinUSA

Just an FYI.

After haven eaten two packs of Sapporo with nearly all the seasoning back to back, I discovered that each seasoning packet had 1500-2000 mg of sodium!! I even drank nearly all the "broth" of the first bowl. Yikes!

Thankfully, the two packs of Indomie with 1.25 seasoning packets at ~800 mg sodium per pack wasn't as bad; I could've used only one packet though.

Default A better Ramen

Quote Originally Posted by W8lkinUSA View Post
    ^^THIS.. That's why I've been eating Buckwheat Noodles with leftover seasoning as well as my seasoning creations.

Anyways, all this ramen talk got me to the Asian Market for a Ramen Haul of unfamiliar items. Looking forward to this week. This is my kind of March Madness. :-D

That’s the one I like, Sapporo. I mistakenly said Nissin earlier I’ve tried a lot of them over the years and I used to live in Japan in the late 80’s

W8lkinUSA

Quote Originally Posted by TwigBoy View Post
    That’s the one I like, Sapporo. I mistakenly said Nissin earlier I’ve tried a lot of them over the years and I used to live in Japan in the late 80’s
    Sapporo was good. I even drank all the broth from the first bag -- original flavor. I didn't drink all the broth from the second bag -- chicken flavor -- during taste testing.

Afterwards, I read the nutritional facts and discovered that I had just consumed a total ~2400 mg of sodium in one sitting (only 25% from bag #2 since I didn't drink the broth)! :-/

If you haven't tried Nissin, I'd recommend Nissin Cup Noodles over the Top Ramen bags. Perhaps, I was addicted to the Styrofoam flavor in the early nineties, but I digress. Hahahaha

https://nissinfoods.com/products/cup-noodles

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++