Quote Originally Posted by dalekeppley View Post
This forum has been very helpful, and I have abandoned the poncho plan in favor of a more spacious quality tarp. But I am still committed to the cot, mainly since it's been my best option for a wonky back. I did think of insulation - a valid consideration for sure. Checked out NOAA data for June temps in Millinocket, but that's not the mountains. What are the coldest temps you've encountered on the AT in June? I did ok in 38 degrees in GA recently. And would a reflective blanket have any offset value?
A couple of thoughts. I've seen 20's in the Whites in NH in early June, but that's up higher in elevation. I'd plan on temps down into the low 30's in Maine in early June just to be safe. Better to be a conservative, as dampness will detract from warmth as well. I've seen snow in early June up here. It's still spring in June, it's definitely not summer, especially in northern New England. See comments above on raging streams (waist deep freezing water that you have to ford), mud, black flies, uncleared blowdown, etc. It's only somewhat consistently warm from about July 4 to mid-August - our 6 week New England summer. While no one can predict the weather and how early spring will come to Maine, generally starting July 1, not June 1, can eliminate a lot of potential problems. You may want to add a bug net to that tarp and cot combo as well.