WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by dalekeppley View Post
    Great tips, you all. The "carwash" problem is definitely something to consider. Weight comparisons using a helinox cot lite and a MSR Hubba solo shakes out like this (in ounces): poncho & cot v. tent & pad
    cot v.pad 40 14.9
    shelter 12.3 48
    jacket 0 7.3
    TOTAL. 52.3 70.2
    Head call in the rain? Got it covered, Wayne: unzip, roll over, and hang over the side. Don't even have to get out of bed. I live in Florida, so it's hard to get excited about bugs, but I have to respect the many horror stories about black flies. Thanks, everyone.
    No worries Dude!
    You’re from Florida!
    You’ve got it covered!
    Cheers!
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRock View Post
    My rain jacket, pants, and pack cover weigh a total of 8 oz. Worth every gram.
    HMMM. Brand, etc.? What about condensation?

I'm pretty minimalist on all those things except the sleeping bag, but I'm a pretty cold sleeper. I'm going to work on comparing fast pitch to other options when I get a chance. But I'm still a bit hung up on the fact that a rain jacket, pants and a backpack cover seems like a lot of dead weight to carry when it’s not raining. Comments?
    I don't bother with rain pants. I've neve found a need for them. Except when above tree line in the winter with 50 MPH winds and -30 wind chills.

The rain jacket isn't just for rain. It's a wind shell and an extra layer which helps keep you warm in the morning and evening. Just stay away from coated nylon which doesn't breath at all. I've had good luck with the heavy duty Frogg Toggs.

Pack cover is optional, a trash compactor bag inside the pack will do the trick (which you should have regardless). But a pack cover can help keep the pack from absorbing water and adding weight and it gives you something to unload your pack onto when the ground is wet.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I appreciate all the advice. (Rain Man, I saw what you did there, wink, wink. That Old Testament quote is pretty clever. I think the forum crowd was pretty kind to me on that one.)

Images

Whatever you choose as your sleeping surface (cot vs pad) and WORN rain gear, you absolutely have to keep your sleeping bag dry. If you are dead set against a tent, an 8 x 10 tarp will provide far better protection than a poncho. A poncho may suffice as a backup/emergency, but I think relying on one as a primary shelter is pushing the limits. Maine is unforgiving from an AT perspective. There are very few places (and they are many days apart) to "bail out" and dry a wet sleeping bag.

Florida huh? We have these things called mountains up here in New England that go straight up. You're gonna want to ditch that cot.

Back to the original post.
    Section #1. June. Maine. SOBO.
    If you are retiring. If you have the entire hiking season to pick from.
    Why Maine at the tailend of the worst time to hike????????????????????
    Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Wayne
    June has it's charms. Raging stream crossings in the HMW, knee deep mud, overflowing bogs, slippery rocks, peak of the Black fly and Mosquito season. Lots of cold rain. And the occasional really fine hiking day. You have to do a hike in Maine in June to discover it's something that you never want to do again.

Although, that said, if there is an early spring and June is more like July, then it's a good choice. It kind of looks like it will be an early spring, but it's still a bit too soon to tell. The last few years we've been running a good 2-3 weeks ahead of what used to be considered normal. It all kind of hinges on how the spring monsoon season pans out. I did some good hikes in June last year, but I can work around the weather.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Yeah, I'll probably take the more traditional approach for my first big bite, but I think the Poncho concept is viable for certain sections. I've tried the hammock, and can't do it overnight. As an afterthought, I expected to get blasted for my head call idea. Obviously, that's an idea for stealth camping and low-traffic areas.
    I was going to comment on your idea of a "head call" unless you meant to use a bottle of some sort and then dump it "appropriately" away from the tenting area. Because even if you think you are "stealth" there is likely other hikers who will also find your spot. And personally, I wouldn't want to sleep smelling urine next to my bed.
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

I'm pretty minimalist on all those things except the sleeping bag, but I'm a pretty cold sleeper. I'm going to work on comparing fast pitch to other options when I get a chance. But I'm still a bit hung up on the fact that a rain jacket, pants and a backpack cover seems like a lot of dead weight to carry when it’s not raining. Comments?
    It's dead weight until you need it. As a cold sleeper you will probably find you use the rain gear more around camp in the morning and at night for warmth. That's what I mainly use mine for. But then when it rains....bonus.
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Yeah, it's complicated, Wayne. (Isn't it always?) I'm still working part time and tied to a somewhat seasonal work schedule. Plus there's family events and schedules limiting me on the back end. So here's hoping for a forgiving weather season...

Yeah, it's complicated, Wayne. (Isn't it always?) I'm still working part time and tied to a somewhat seasonal work schedule. Plus there's family events and schedules limiting me on the back end. So here's hoping for a forgiving weather season...
    I hear you. Been there. Done that.
    Good luck!
    Wayne

13-45 Section Hiker Trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Wayne
    I agree with the questioning of the proposed section. Why Maine as your first section? You say you are experienced, so I'm going to assume you know what you are getting into. Coming from FL you're gonna need to be in decent shape and be prepared for much colder temperatures. The cot/poncho setup sounds a bit odd, and the fact that it held up on a test run in FL (where I'm assuming it was warm) may not be the best conditions to deem it a good setup for ME. At any rate, I'm not gonna thread drift, but just throw out there that if you don't have experience hiking up in the NE states that you consider doing something further South for your first section.
    AT: 2007-2019 (45 sections)
    JMT: 2013

One other note. You are comparing the weight of a cot versus a sleeping pad but the sleeping pad provides two functions: comfort and insulation. Maybe it will be warm enough that you don't need any insulation under you but cots can get really cold at night if the temperature drops unexpectedly.

I would recommend looking at a hammock if you are primarily interested in sleeping comfortably and getting up out of the mud.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayne View Post
    One other note. You are comparing the weight of a cot versus a sleeping pad but the sleeping pad provides two functions: comfort and insulation. Maybe it will be warm enough that you don't need any insulation under you but cots can get really cold at night if the temperature drops unexpectedly.

I would recommend looking at a hammock if you are primarily interested in sleeping comfortably and getting up out of the mud.
    Excellent consideration about the lack of insulation under a cot. I hadn't thought of that. It's like sleeping in a hammock without some form of insulation underneath. But the OP seems hell bent on using that cot (which I imagine packs pretty darn big as well), so I guess he'll learn soon enough whether it was a wise decision or not.
    It is what it is.

A SOBO in Maine anytime of the year has its issues and one of them is if you don't get your gear right off on day one you are a long ways to getting the right gear to you. There is no legal place to dump trash/excess gear between Katahdin and Monson on the trail. Unless you illegally dump it you are lugging it through the 100 MW unless it can be burnt. Even if you do decide you want to swap gear, the lack of cell services and long drives to the nearest outfitter (in Bangor) is a very expensive shuttle or multiple hitches on very remote roads. Sleeping bag ratings assume a tent and sleeping on the ground. Subtract about 10 degrees for a cot.

Bug protection is the key in Maine in June, between black flies early and mosquitoes later on, they will eat you alive unless you have bug total bug netting around you.

I too was wondering about the insulation value of the cot and the hammock comparison is particularly on point in my opinion. No rzvalue on that cot at all really. You might gain some reduction in rain splash being a little more elevated.

I personally think a tarp-poncho is a bit more risky in that you might tear it and then your shelter is compromised as well as your rain gear. Pochos aren't the best raingear either. Getting wet in June in Maine could be a lot colder than getting wet most any time in parts of Florida.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by JPritch View Post
    Excellent consideration about the lack of insulation under a cot. I hadn't thought of that. It's like sleeping in a hammock without some form of insulation underneath. But the OP seems hell bent on using that cot (which I imagine packs pretty darn big as well), so I guess he'll learn soon enough whether it was a wise decision or not.
    This forum has been very helpful, and I have abandoned the poncho plan in favor of a more spacious quality tarp. But I am still committed to the cot, mainly since it's been my best option for a wonky back. I did think of insulation - a valid consideration for sure. Checked out NOAA data for June temps in Millinocket, but that's not the mountains. What are the coldest temps you've encountered on the AT in June? I did ok in 38 degrees in GA recently. And would a reflective blanket have any offset value?

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

But I am still committed to the cot, mainly since it's been my best option for a wonky back. I did think of insulation - a valid consideration for sure.
    Have you been to an outfitter and tried laying on a Therm-a-rest NeoAir lineup of mattresses?
    All of the NeoAir mattresses are 2.5" thick when inflated.
    These come in both regular and large sizes, with the large being almost 25" wide.
    The XLite is what I would call the "base" model and has enough R-Value for me if temperatures are not below freezing. There is also the XTherm model that almost doubles the R-Value. The XLite Regular weights in at only 12oz, the XLite Large is 16oz, and the XTherm Large is 20oz.

I purchased the Large because I used to be a stomach sleeper and hated my arms falling off the sides of such a thick pad. If I had to buy a replacement today, I'd make due with the lighter weight regular size as I've become a side sleeper.

My wife and I hiked the Maine AT section in June-July some years ago (in our '50's). We are quite experienced, but found it challenging. We called it "no nubbin left unclimbed", apparently to the glee of the "Mainetainers" who are darn proud of having designed a bitch of a trail for us to contend with... But having said that, it is darn good hiking if you can handle it. We were glad to have a tent to retreat to because of the bugs. We also soaked our tent and most everything else in permetherin, which I highly advise to keep skeeters away (kills them on contact). We were able to wear shorts, and were not bugged by bugs who were swarming around other hikers who were dressed head to toe to have no skin exposed. I would echo other suggestions to get it totally together before you hit the trail SOBO. This is no place for beginners making dumb mistakes.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++