WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: AT Weather App?

“Rusha”

Default AT Weather App?

I love Guthook... is there a weather app most hikers use? I can’t find one online.

Try "appalaichain trail weather" from the app store. Gives you a guess at what the weather will be like for all the shelters along the AT.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I just have atweather.org bookmarked in my browser.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Try "appalaichain trail weather" from the app store. Gives you a guess at what the weather will be like for all the shelters along the AT.
    Dang! Just checked it out and definitely TOO COLD for me!
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Quote Originally Posted by Puddlefish View Post
    I just have atweather.org bookmarked in my browser.
    I've used this, too.

+1 on atweather.org

Quote Originally Posted by beefsmack View Post
    +1 on atweather.org
    If you get the night time low for Springer or Blood it appears to be reporting the weather down in Blairsville. The disclaimer at their website says they do not modify the NOAA forecast in any way. It would be very helpful if they put in an estimate based on the altitude of the location you requested. For example, subtracting 6 degrees per 1,000 feet of altitude difference would be handy. In any event, just be aware of your altitude.

Quote Originally Posted by FreeGoldRush View Post
    If you get the night time low for Springer or Blood it appears to be reporting the weather down in Blairsville. The disclaimer at their website says they do not modify the NOAA forecast in any way. It would be very helpful if they put in an estimate based on the altitude of the location you requested. For example, subtracting 6 degrees per 1,000 feet of altitude difference would be handy. In any event, just be aware of your altitude.
    I have experienced WARMER temperatures at elevation many times while hiking in North Georgia and North Carolina this time of year due to temperature inversions. IMHO weather predictions for the mountains are a guessing game.

I have gotten very good at "predicting" the weather by watching cloud formations and movements and just being in tune with temperature changes. It's not useful for long range planning but it works well when trying to figure out if you need to hustle to your destination to avoid getting drenched.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Another ATweather.org user

I found that cell reception was poor on most of the trail. So I carry a small ham radio which receives various NOAA weather stations. Works even better from remote high peaks. Also, in a real emergency cell will likely be unavailable. Ham radios will rule.

Quote Originally Posted by RockDoc View Post
    I found that cell reception was poor on most of the trail. So I carry a small ham radio which receives various NOAA weather stations. Works even better from remote high peaks. Also, in a real emergency cell will likely be unavailable. Ham radios will rule.
    What ham radio do you recommend and how hard is it to keep it charged?

Don't any of you young 'uns know how to read the weather patterns? I can't be the only one on this forum that learned this. Slo - you must be "atuned" and able to read weather coming.

www.mountain-forecast.com You can choose any mountain in the U.S. Shows weather at different elevations. Lots of info in an easy to read chart/graphic. 6 day forecast.
    "It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out of your door," he used to say. "You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to" JRRTolkien

++ New Posts ++