WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Corley View Post
    April 19th is when the Wayside's camp store and gift shop are now scheduled to open per the Rangers at Byrd Visitor's Center. The restaurant is supposed to open on May 5th, but everyone I've spoken to thinks it will be closer tp May 15th or later.

Unfortunately, the hearty "camper's breakfast" won't be on the new menu either. Blackberry shakes and the frozen blackberry ice cream pie will still be available (Yeah!).
    FYI, I'm camping at Big Meadows now and the wayside doesn't look close to opening. Ranger thought it might still be a few weeks. He said that either Loft or Lewis (can't remember which) camp store should be open.

Images

From the SNP Website: Mile Post Open Closed Facilities
    Elkwallow Wayside 24 April 12 Nov. 11 Food, gifts, camping supplies
    Skyland 41.7 and 42.5 April 12 Dec. 1 Lodging, food, and gifts
    Skyland Stables 41.7 and 42.5 April 12 TBA Reservations required; 540-999-2213
    Big Meadows Lodge 51.2 May 8 Nov. 3 Lodging, food, and gifts
    Big Meadows Wayside 51.2 TBD Nov.11 Under renovation
    Lewis Mountain Cabins and Campstore 57.5 March 28 Dec. 1 Lodging, gifts, and camping supplies
    Loft Mountain Wayside 79.5 April 19 Nov. 3 Food, gifts, camping supplies.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L’Amour

Images

....and Campgrounds
    Facility Skyline Drive Mile 2019 Opening 2019 Closing Comments
    Mathews Arm 22.2 May 1 TBA 1st come - 1st served and reservations*
    Big Meadows (showers/laundry) 51.2 March 29 Nov. 11 1st come - 1st served and reservations*
    Lewis Mountain 57.5 March 29 Oct. 27 1st come - 1st served only
    Loft Mountain (Campstore/showers/laundry) 79.5 May 1 Oct. 27 1st come - 1st served and reservations*
    Dundo (Group camping only) 83.7 May 1 Oct. 27 Reservations only. Group size limited to 7-15 persons
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L’Amour

Per their Facebook post yesterday:

It's good news/bad news once again. We were able to clear another section of Skyline Drive, so it is open from mile 0 to mile 80. However, we must delay opening of Loft Campground and Dundo Campground to May 14. Reservation holders are being contacted with options to move to Mathews Arm or refunds.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++