WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Big Meadows Wayside - Update

Yesterday, I learned the Big Meadows Wayside will open their Camp store, gift shop and have pre-packaged food available. On April 30th they'll open the redesigned restaurant where you'll be able to look out over Big Meadows instead of the parking area.

Let me know if you need more info on this or SNP. I volunteer at the Big Meadows Visitors Center and operate a local shuttle service.

I will be starting April 6 SOBO from just north of SNP. I didn't see an opening date for Big Meadows Wayside camp store on the web site. Do you know a date for when the store will open? Loft Mtn. store doesn't open until May 1.
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Slumgum View Post
    I will be starting April 6 SOBO from just north of SNP. I didn't see an opening date for Big Meadows Wayside camp store on the web site. Do you know a date for when the store will open? Loft Mtn. store doesn't open until May 1.
    Thanks.
    The Big Meadows Wayside will open their Camp store, gift shop and have pre-packaged food available on April 12th. Sorry I left this out of my original post.

I spoke with a couple of the Wayside staff today and saw their new menu. I was surprised they're not going to serve fried chicken, hamburgers, cheeseburgers, BLTS, french fries, onion rings, Navy bean soup or most of my other favorites. These staples are being replaced with "healthier" soups, sandwiches, and main dishes with ingredients like quinoa - kale - ancient grains. The new items are pricier. They're also doing away with waitress service. From what I heard I don't think the dining room will open until mid-May, but they haven't announced this yet.
    Last edited by Corley; 03-28-2019 at 18:37.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Corley View Post
    I spoke with a couple of the Wayside staff today and saw their new menu. I was surprised they're not going to serve fried chicken, hamburgers, cheeseburgers, BLTS, french fries, onion rings, Navy bean soup or most of my other favorites. These staples are being replaced with "healthier" soups, sandwiches, and main dishes with ingredients like quinoa - kale - ancient grains. The new items are pricier. They're also doing away with waitress service. From what I heard I don't think the dining room will open until mid-May, but they haven't announced this yet.
    hahaha ok i get it, getting a head start on an april fool's joke, very funny. next i suppose you'll tell us theres no more blackberry milkshakes?

(please be a horrible joke, please be a joke, ok, really?)

Oh my god, please say you are joking ...

I wish I was kidding, but my previous post is true. Gone are the inexpensive, high calorie, and quick meals AT hikers enjoyed at the Wayside. An AT hiker in Front Royal asked me if they will still serve the hearty "hikers breakfast" that he's always enjoyed there. I didn't see their breakfast menu, so I'll check on it. But I bet it won't be on their "healthier" menu.

Images

I wish I was kidding, but my previous post is true. Gone are the inexpensive, high calorie, and quick meals AT hikers enjoyed at the Wayside. An AT hiker in Front Royal asked me if they will still serve the hearty "hikers breakfast" that he's always enjoyed there. I didn't see their breakfast menu, so I'll check on it. But I bet it won't be on their "healthier" menu.
    any idea on if the other waysides are following suit?

and really, do they at least still have blackberry milkshakes? that is no small matter. SNP without them... i can't even think of such a thing.

Journal Entries
    Images

They must not want to sell any food...I can't see this being very popular.
    Plaid is fast! Ticks suck, literally... It’s ok, bologna hoses off…
    Follow my hiking adventures: https://www.youtube.com/user/KrizAkoni
    Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/alphagalhikes/

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptainkriz View Post
    They must not want to sell any food...I can't see this being very popular.
    certainly not with hikers. with people driving through the park though? who knows.

plus plenty of people are of the mindset that we just have to make people eat healthy whether its what they want or not. that someone in the NPS or with SNP would be of this mindset should shock no one. i wouldnt be surprised if they went vegan in a show of support for the green new deal.

Oh brother.

I blame the millennials and the gentrified yuppies from DC ... lol, just kidding. Well, kind of. Waysides are supposed to serve comfort food. SMH...

Images

The ad is up for the 2019 Easter Sunday Brunch at Skyland. https://www.goshenandoah.com/dining/buffets/easter

Pricey. $36 + beverages + 10.3% tax + gratuities. So about $55+ with coffee and juice? Menu doesn't seem like the draconian "healthier" one being described above, but who knows if that will transfer over to the regular fare in season. Hopefully not. "I'd like a cheeseburger, a side of fries and a blackberry milkshake - with a side of statins. Something that will line my stomach - and coronary arteries."
    Last edited by 4eyedbuzzard; 03-31-2019 at 13:14.

Catering to the people from DC/NVA.

Need I say more?
    Peanuts.jpg
    Trail Name - Slapshot
    "One step at a time."
    Blog - www.tonysadventure.com

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    Catering to the people from DC/NVA.
    A bit of stereotyping on your part I'd say. I'm from NVA and this new "healthier" menu choice is not on my radar after backpacking and/or doing trail maintenance.

I can only hope the 2 pub choices (1 at Skyland and the other at Big Meadows) have not gone the same route. Other than the Loft Mountain Wayside, those 2 pubs are where I have preferred to eat at anyway.

Furlough
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L’Amour

Quote Originally Posted by Furlough View Post
    A bit of stereotyping on your part I'd say. I'm from NVA and this new "healthier" menu choice is not on my radar after backpacking and/or doing trail maintenance.
    Yeah, that's fair. I lived in Arlington across the river from DC for 15 years and it's a great area but the tastes of the locals has changed quite a bit and the higher end fare is both something in demand and something that a lot of people have the disposable income to buy. Supply and demand.

April 19th is when the Wayside's camp store and gift shop are now scheduled to open per the Rangers at Byrd Visitor's Center. The restaurant is supposed to open on May 5th, but everyone I've spoken to thinks it will be closer tp May 15th or later.

Unfortunately, the hearty "camper's breakfast" won't be on the new menu either. Blackberry shakes and the frozen blackberry ice cream pie will still be available (Yeah!).

I'm heading north from Bland in a month or so. I'll give the new menu a try. After a month or so hiking, I do crave the heart attack food and the high calories, but it's also nice to have a change of pace from all the crap food and have something with vitamins and fiber and vaguely healthy ingredients once in a while.

Images

April 19th is when the Wayside's camp store and gift shop are now scheduled to open per the Rangers at Byrd Visitor's Center. The restaurant is supposed to open on May 5th, but everyone I've spoken to thinks it will be closer tp May 15th or later.

Unfortunately, the hearty "camper's breakfast" won't be on the new menu either. Blackberry shakes and the frozen blackberry ice cream pie will still be available (Yeah!).
    i'm gladly to hear they've only gone 85% insane instead of full on crazy. any word on if the new menu will be debuting at the other 2 waysides?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++