WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Beech Gap squatters

Howdy Folks,

Just got back from doing the Standing Indian Loop.

Thought it was pertinent info to know that there is apparently a group of very interesting people that seem to be living at the water source at Beech Gap in North Carolina near Standing Indian Mnt.

This information was relayed to me by some thru hikers that set up camp and got so spooked out that they decided to leave at 9pm.

Heres what they told me...

There is a group of people that look to be living at the water source at Beech Gap. They were sharpening large knives, had a very rough appearance (missing teeth, pot holes in their skin;indicative of meth use) were acting very erratically (shouting and yelling non sensical words) and seem to have been there for some time.

The hikers all got very bad vibes and decided to pack up at 9pm and find another place to camp.

I did not witness this first hand, so take it for what its worth. But I would not camp there knowing this info. Hope this helps!

Perhaps local authorities should be contacted. That area is very hiker friendly and this is not the image they wish to portray.

Not wanting to hate on alternative lifestyles, but if your creep-o-meter is going off, and you feel compelled to leave at hiker midnight for safety, probably these folks are of concern. Always listen to your gut when it comes to safety. HYOH, but safely.

The hikers were a group of 2 young females, a 45 year old male, and a 55+ year old male that were set up to camp in beech gap. They all decided to get up and move after it was dark. 3 of them thru hikers. Most long distance hikers are asleep long before 9. So the fact that they decided to get up, pack up and hike in the dark to feel safe is a pretty serious concern.

One of the females wrote a comment in Guthooks App. You can read her comments there

Images

Maybe they should call or email the county sheriff or state police? If they are dangerous, posting comments in an app or on a website only warns a minority of people.

Default Beech Gap squatters

very interesting. I've been planning a trip there with a bunch of scouts in a few weeks. was planning on camping at beech gap. I'll be watching this thread I guess.

Report to the ATC. There is a page on the ATC website that gives pertinent information.
    http://www.appalachiantrail.org/home...rt-an-incident
    More walking, less talking.

Quote Originally Posted by soilman View Post
    Report to the ATC. There is a page on the ATC website that gives pertinent information.
    http://www.appalachiantrail.org/home...rt-an-incident
    report what? "some campers make me feel uncomfortable while on my vacation" non-issue

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    report what? "some campers make me feel uncomfortable while on my vacation" non-issue
    It is illegal to camp more than 14 days in a month long period on national forest land.
    More walking, less talking.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by soilman View Post
    It is illegal to camp more than 14 days in a month long period on national forest land.
    Continuously....in one spot

And no one knows how long they been camping...at all.

Lotta jumping to conclusion, prejudiced by peoples appearance. By people that think only people like themselves should be there, is what it is.

When i read "sharpening large knives" and "acting erratically", that's enough for me to jump to conclusions. It is not the appearance, it is the behavior.

Game Of Thrones overload :-)

Quote Originally Posted by stephanD View Post
    When i read "sharpening large knives" and "acting erratically", that's enough for me to jump to conclusions. It is not the appearance, it is the behavior.
    Let me go

Here's what was posted on Guthook, dated 4/28/19:
    "There was a large group of people hanging out at the water source at Beech Gap. Some were chanting and digging holes and sharpening long knives. They looked liked they were under the infulence of some kind of drugs so we decided to pack up and head 2 miles north to the next gap. I wouldn't recommend staying for the night for safety."

Images

No jumping to conclusions as far as I can tell, just an FYI for the bad vibes. Appreciated.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Quote Originally Posted by scope View Post
    No jumping to conclusions as far as I can tell, just an FYI for the bad vibes. Appreciated.
    associating how someone looks with meth use is jumping to conclusions

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I would not be spreading details like this unless the events were witnessed first hand.

If the hikers that packed up and left actually saw drug use take place or were threatened or saw some really weird behavior, then they need to call police or the Forest Service office in Franklin. It provides no service to post comments on it and not report it to authorities.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Images

Quote Originally Posted by trailmercury View Post
    True, the open festering sores, rotted teeth and sunken wrinkled skin could just be due to bad hygiene and a poor diet. Or maybe it's a hospice camp.
    Last edited by 4eyedbuzzard; 04-30-2019 at 19:30.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Viking View Post
    It provides no service to post comments on it and not report it to authorities.
    Good point.

Probably best to do both.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    True, the open festering sores, rotted teeth and sunken wrinkled skin could just be due to bad hygiene and a poor diet. Or maybe it's a hospice camp.

Did you see the people up there?

Quote Originally Posted by trailmercury View Post
    During my many years of EMS and Law Enforcement I have never been wrong when I assumed that someone was a meth user based on their appearance. When you use meth certain things happen to your body so how people look can be a great indicator of meth usage.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post
    Did you see the people up there?
    No, but you know I didn't. The physical affects of meth use, appearances and behavior are widely known by everyday people, not just LEO and medical. If multiple people reported appearance and behavior that resemble that, and enough so that they left the general area due to safety concerns, I'd probably trust their judgement that something was rotten in Denmark until a "welfare check" by police proved otherwise. In a perfect world everybody deserves the benefit of the doubt. But we don't live in a perfect world, so not everyone gets the benefit of the doubt. If it looks like a meth head, swims like a meth head, and quacks like a meth head...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++