WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Scotchguard

Journal Entries

Default Scotchguard

Has anyone ever used Scotchguard on their backpack before, and did it work? I am planning to ditch my backpack rain cover this year, and I'll, as always, use an industrial garbage bag inside my pack...

I've not had great experience with spray on waterproofer, whether that brand or others. The points of weakness include zippers and stitching, but mostly I think it's the flexibility of the fabric: you're not really putting a flexible coat of sealant on there like polyurethane. Water splashed on it will bead up, but a steady rain will work its way through over time, IMO.

One critique of the compactor bag inside the pack method is that a soaked backpack weighs a lot more than a dry one (DCF packs excepted), so even if it's not a matter of the important contents inside getting wet, you may prefer to carry the weight of a cover (all the time) versus the greater weight of a periodically wet pack. The counter to this is that pack covers don't work 100% because water wicks from the shoulder straps to the pack - only a poncho type setup will keep the pack and its straps fully dry.

Journal Entries

Thanks for the response TZ....makes sense...

Journal Entries

I used to have a gallon of water proofer used to treat popup camper cotton tent fabric, (sidewalls) and army tents.

Never had a leak, or spot soak thru, leaving up for years in woods.

Took 24 hrs to dry, after painting on with paintbrush.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 03-14-2019 at 10:45.

After cleaning gear I use either PFC FREE Nikwax TX Direct DWR Spray On, my currently preferred approach, or PFC FREE Grangers Performance Repel Spry(works well too!) ONLY on the outside of Dyneema packs and maybe non WP trail runners to gain greater WR. Keeps the material from absorbing as much water, ice, and mud.

https://grangers.co.uk/products/perf...-repel-spraySG is a stain and DWR. It's not a WPer.

https://www.nikwax.com/en-us/product...-1&fabricid=-1

Backstory:
    I've sprayed on a SG similar "WPer" on ONLY the outside of Dyneema or older lower $ packs to increase water resistance. I no longer use a DWR containing a Per fluorinated compound (PFC). Some versions can be lasting chemical water pollutants found even in Sierra backcountry backwaters. Environmental more responsible outdoor gear manufacturers like Patagonia, Gore and TNF are looking for alternative non PFC containing DWR's. Nikwax and Grangers have already made the move. Patagonia has taken steps. Dont fully know about Gore as it's not my preferred choice for WPing. TNF?

https://www.nikwax.com/en-us/environment/fluorocarbons.php
    https://cen.acs.org/articles/95/i7/Gore-drop-waterproofing-PFCs.html

All these approaches dent waterproof. They contribute to water resistance.

FWIW, even after applying a DWR to the outside of Dyneema and beater packs I still like a pack cover SOMETIMES, if heavy prolonged rains are anticipated. I do it because I like having my pack on as much as possible and store stuff that I dont want or couldn't easily Ziploc from getting totally drenched on the outside of packs.

I don’t use a rain cover and have never used a spray on like you’re talking about. I’ve had greatest success packing clothing in gallon ziplock bags, and my sleeping bag goes in its compression sack and rolled into a garbage bag. The rest of the stuff is destined for wetness

"I've not had great experience with spray on waterproofer,.."

Maybe because you expected full waterproofing?

Quote Originally Posted by chknfngrs View Post
    I don’t use a rain cover and have never used a spray on like you’re talking about. I’ve had greatest success packing clothing in gallon ziplock bags, and my sleeping bag goes in its compression sack and rolled into a garbage bag. The rest of the stuff is destined for wetness
    So you let your pack absorb water?

Quote Originally Posted by Bubblehead View Post
    . . . I am planning to ditch my backpack rain cover this year, and I'll, as always, use an industrial garbage bag inside my pack...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    So you let your pack absorb water?
    I just hike and backpack with my poncho. Then it all stays dry and I can even get into it in the rain, under my poncho and have it stay dry. Ponchos rock!
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Can you take a bra off without taking shirt off too?

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Can you take a bra off without taking shirt off too?
    Absolutely!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Images

But can you get it back on?

The pack, I mean.

Images

But to the original question, yes I have used Scotchguard on a pack.

I had part of can leftover from spraying a truck seat and used it on my 40 year old pack. The pack material is old school courdura and the Scotchguard did a good job of adding a degree of water resistance.

I used it in addition to a sil nylon rain cover and using lightweight garbage bags for clothing and sleeping bag.

I bought a Rustoleum product called NeverWet. It's a two part thing that you spray on the first can, then an hour later second coat with the second can. I bought it for my bee hives... The theory is a pest called a hive beetle can't climb up metal strip barriers coated with the stuff. We'll see.

Anyway, I've been thinking about painting it Onto my pack since I have extra left over. This stuff is supposed to be extremely hydrophobic. They also make a one part product designed just for fabric. o

Anyone ever try this product?

gonna Starry Night over the top?

++ New Posts ++