WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Throw Bag Material?

At the risk of asking a question that is akin to, "What diesel truck is healthiest for the environment", here goes.

With respect to hanging your food bag PCT-style, what material is a good, durable one for the throw bag, particularly when the odds of it landing on a rock are pretty good?

Yesterday I had occasion to do a PCT-style food bag hang, and after some fits and starts, got what I think was a particularly good hang (as these things go). Quite a bit of luck involved in finding an ideal branch in the area. However, leading up to finding that branch, I made some failed throws at other locations, and once at the final location. At least once the throw bag landed on a rock, and I came back with a small hole in it.*

I was using one of those roll-top waterproof bags, pretty cheap ones (Outdoor Products, WM), polyurethane coated ripstop, it appears. Not a big loss, and even probably fixable to an extent.

Wondering if there's a better material to be using for a throw bag. Seemed silly in retrospect to sacrifice a waterproof stuff sack for this, but I'm not sure if there's a cheaper and more durable option. Any suggestions? Thanks.

*I think the abrasion came from the ground (outside the throw bag), since it bag had a fist-sized rock in it wrapped up in a rag and put in a ziplock so it wouldn't roll out of the rag easily. The ziplock was not punctured.

Any small mesh pouch capable of holding a moderately sized rock is perfectly adequate. No need for a solid material. I use the same mesh bag that holds the rope itself.

I use cordura. Might be heavier than needed, but small enough to make little difference and will last for ages.

Quote Originally Posted by skater View Post
    I use cordura. Might be heavier than needed, but small enough to make little difference and will last for ages.
    I thought about cordura, as it was a preferred material for motorcycle riding gear when I was in my "ATGATT" days. Where does one buy cordura bags, or did you just make yours? Curious. Thanks - TZ

Journal Entries

I have several.
    Who cares if it gets a little hole in it.
    And it doesn't need to be big
    If it holds a golf ball sized rock or a little bigger that's plenty.

the one I prefer is my little z-pack line sack made of cuben

Another good free one, is the little plastic mesh sacks that garlic comes in at the grocery store. That was not real durable though.

I use my 20 oz soda bottle about 1/4 full of water. Guaranteed never to snag and always come down. You need pretty thin cord to tie around the neck though.

Still, it always takes 3-4 tries, it never goes the way I want it to go.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    I have several.
    Who cares if it gets a little hole in it.
    And it doesn't need to be big
    If it holds a golf ball sized rock or a little bigger that's plenty.

the one I prefer is my little z-pack line sack made of cuben

Another good free one, is the little plastic mesh sacks that garlic comes in at the grocery store. That was not real durable though.

+1 on the garlic bag. I also had the rock inside part of a plastic bag (I think to protect from abrasion).

Worked for my southern half hike last year and using it for the rest of the way this year.

I’ve carried that rock from Pittsburgh to GA and back to PA.
    76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    14 LHHT
    15 Girard/Quebec/LostTurkey/Saylor/Tuscarora/BlackForest
    16 Kennerdell/Cranberry-Otter/DollyS/WRim-NCT
    17 BearR
    18-19,22 AT NOBO 1562.2
    22 Hadrian's Wall
    23 Cotswold Way

Images

Quote Originally Posted by RangerZ View Post
    +1 on the garlic bag. I also had the rock inside part of a plastic bag (I think to protect from abrasion).

Worked for my southern half hike last year and using it for the rest of the way this year.

I’ve carried that rock from Pittsburgh to GA and back to PA.
    Hmmm, just makes one wonder if there is a potential market for (UL) rocks for bear bags...
    ...or bottles: Just fill with water and throw - bag and line included and free shipping for only $9.99 (water not included ...)

Maybe if you're good with cordage and knots, no bag is required? Just wrap the cord around the rock, secure it with a slippery half-hitch, and throw it.

I use either a garlic/shallot bag or a cheapo stuff sack from Walmart.

Quote Originally Posted by Time Zone View Post
    Maybe if you're good with cordage and knots, no bag is required? Just wrap the cord around the rock, secure it with a slippery half-hitch, and throw it.
    That rarely works. I once found the perfect rock, fit in the hand nicely, wasn't too heavy or too light and had a dog bone shape so the rope didn't slide off. After I used it I contemplated for a good 2 minutes wondering if I should hold onto that rock. I then came to my senses and tossed it.

The soda bottle trick works much better.

Journal Entries

1. If you need your flimsy water bottles to hold your water, its foolish to throw them around. Ive had a couple with holes from just 2' fall onto gravel. I baby my water bottles. They are one of the most important gear items.

2. Rock bags can be filled with dirt or gravel when no appropriately sized rocks available, or water.

3. You can stuff line in them , comes out ez and completely tangle free, keeps neatly stored in pack. But its slow . Even wrapping figure 8 introduces twists which cause some misbehavior.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 03-14-2019 at 10:01.

I have used the silly little sack that came with my pack cover, mostly because my pack cover was always on my pack and never in that silly little sack....
    fortis fortuna adjuvat

I can't see spending money on an item that's eventually going to get stuck in a tree. I actually sewed a tiny throw bag out of spare fabric, which cost me about nothing. When I lost that, I started just wrapping a rock with the end of the cord, reversing the direction of the wind once in a while... sure you'd lose the rock once in a while.

That worked well, until I found a site with exactly one rock and deep leaves. After searching for a rock, a stick, or anything throwable for a bit. I didn't want to risk throwing my water bottle, or fuel bottle, knife, or any other useful piece of gear. I eventually just filled a small ziploc bag with a bit of water and used that.
    Last edited by Puddlefish; 03-14-2019 at 10:36.

I just tie the cord around the rock.
    Perhaps the secret to not having it come loose is to wrap the cord around the rock twice.
    I prefer it to be larger than a golf ball, smaller than an orange. It needs to be heavy enough to overcome the friction of the cord sliding over the branch.

It may take a minute longer than just dropping a rock or some sand in a bag...and when fingers are numb, it becomes MUCH more difficult...hey, maybe there's something to this bag trick after all.

One concern: is the bag more likely to snag on things than the rock alone?

1. If you need your flimsy water bottles to hold your water, its foolish to throw them around. Ive had a couple with holes from just 2' fall onto gravel. I baby my water bottles. They are one of the most important gear items........
    Good point. Seltzer water bottles are much tougher than regular water bottles because they have to withstand the pressure of a carbonated beverage and the weight difference is negligible. For 60 cents you can get a liter bottle of store brand flavored seltzer at our local store, enjoy the seltzer and have a sturdy water bottle.
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Puddlefish View Post
    I can't see spending money on an item that's eventually going to get stuck in a tree. I actually sewed a tiny throw bag out of spare fabric, which cost me about nothing. When I lost that, I started just wrapping a rock with the end of the cord, reversing the direction of the wind once in a while... sure you'd lose the rock once in a while.
    That worked well, until I found a site with exactly one rock and deep leaves. After searching for a rock, a stick, or anything throwable for a bit. I didn't want to risk throwing my water bottle, or fuel bottle, knife, or any other useful piece of gear. I eventually just filled a small ziploc bag with a bit of water and used that.

I used to just tie my line around a rock but then sometimes I’d see the rock go soaring off without the line.

Also, for trails that can be pretty rocky, there wouldn’t be a good rock when I needed it.

Hence, the garlic bag and dedicated rock.
    76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    14 LHHT
    15 Girard/Quebec/LostTurkey/Saylor/Tuscarora/BlackForest
    16 Kennerdell/Cranberry-Otter/DollyS/WRim-NCT
    17 BearR
    18-19,22 AT NOBO 1562.2
    22 Hadrian's Wall
    23 Cotswold Way

1. If you need your flimsy water bottles to hold your water, its foolish to throw them around. Ive had a couple with holes from just 2' fall onto gravel. I baby my water bottles. They are one of the most important gear items.
    Plastic water bottles are nearly indestructible. The flimsy ones I suck the air out of them to collapse them and can do that 100's of times. Carbonated soda bottles are equally indestructible.

Don't use a hard plastic bottle like a Nalgene, I've seen plenty of those stuck in trees (plus its the wrong shape), along with knives, carabiners, plenty of rocks, rock bags and assorted hardware. Even a 6" adjustable crescent wrench! Anything small enough to wrap around a branch when you try to pull it down will wrap around that branch or get stuck.

The only incident I've had with the soda bottle was when I missed the branch but nailed by alcohol stove square and flattened it. But the stove worked fine once I uncrunched it.

Never used a throw bag. Tie paracord around a rock and throw. The rock rarely separates from the cord.
    Trail Name - Slapshot
    "One step at a time."
    Blog - www.tonysadventure.com

I have had great results with a small sized cheap water bottle like Slogoen has described.Something about the heft of it is just right.I've never had it want to wrap around like a bolo or get hung up either.Once I'm done I drink the potable water from the bottle and store it in the food bag.If it springs a leak from a pinhole I am sure a little tape would fix it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++