WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by tdoczi View Post
    slow day so i found the old thread this reminded me- https://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthr...record+attempt
    Quote Originally Posted by tdoczi View Post
    Well, at least he didn't go "all-in" and throw in the North Country Trail as well...

https://web.archive.org/web/20111224...ativesite.com/

Images

At his age I was thinking a Triple Crown hiker was one who finished the AT in three years. This will be my 5th year at attempting to complete the AT, maybe I can be a Quintuple Crown hiker? Anyway, his story certainly is an inspiration for us 70 somethings!
    Simple is good.

Quote Originally Posted by Carbo View Post
    At his age I was thinking a Triple Crown hiker was one who finished the AT in three years. This will be my 5th year at attempting to complete the AT, maybe I can be a Quintuple Crown hiker? Anyway, his story certainly is an inspiration for us 70 somethings!
    If you don't brush your teeth or you take a spill, there's still time to end up with triple crowns

Whatever happened here? How far did he get?

Quote Originally Posted by JNI64 View Post
    Whatever happened here? How far did he get?
    It looks like he spent about three months on trail before he was injured near Harper's Ferry. At that point it turned into a relay hike.

Quote Originally Posted by Colter View Post
    It looks like he spent about three months on trail before he was injured near Harper's Ferry. At that point it turned into a relay hike.
    Ok thank you, and thanks for the link. Huh, took 3 months to get to Hf great for his age but I don't know about a triple crown an a year. We could all be so lucky to be such good shape at that age. But one bad fall it could be it for anyone. Good example of LIVE LIFE HARD !!

Images

Pretty cool, I'll be following.

Don't rule 71 year olds out just because you're in that general age vicinity (or even much younger) and because of your own fitness level you can't imagine uber-fit 71 year olds. Such folks are quite common in certain circles, almost a dime a dozen in fact.

That being said, sure, the odds are long.... and I agree, the "triple Crown Hiker" headline is silly and misleading, but pretty common for our media.

Images

My grandson is studying to be an MD. He is in preschool! If I were king I would outlaw an articles about “gonna do”. You could only report about done. Reminds me of a TV interview of a woman that was “gonna do” an AT thru hike. No joking, two days after the interview she quit at the road crossing after Hawk Mountain.
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

Funny I just happened to be reading Cr's response when your post popped up. However far stretched or extreme ones goal is, how else would we know what one is trying to accomplish? Like a fkt attempt. So if you were king how would we know one was attempting such a feat? Should the article have stated one is attempting to be a triple crowner in 1 year? As opposed to " gonna do" , as if he's gonna do it . There's a big difference I suppose in the wording.
    Last edited by JNI64; 01-18-2020 at 15:41.

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    My grandson is studying to be an MD. He is in preschool! If I were king I would outlaw an articles about “gonna do”. You could only report about done. Reminds me of a TV interview of a woman that was “gonna do” an AT thru hike. No joking, two days after the interview she quit at the road crossing after Hawk Mountain.
    "Fantasy, meet reality."

Not a fantasy that failure, mistakes, learning from them can be one of the greatest motivators of success. It's said some of those that are deemed most successful are ones who've made the greatest mistakes, experienced hugely significant failures, or hardships. Through trials and tribulations rejoice because through them/during them we can/do learn to ultimately persevere at the original goal(s)(somewhat paraphrased. Now, where did I read that in that book that always contradicts itself full of contradictions is full of nonsense worthless even misleading or mythological never helpful not containing vast knowledge and wisdom insulting to intelligence and modern thought ridiculous in assumptions not containing higher thoughts than an overly prideful and ignorant self absorbed defensive to it unwise mind?

Not a fantasy that failure, mistakes, learning from them can be one of the greatest motivators of success.
    True, but fantasy is routinely tempered by reality, almost 100% of the time, in almost any endeavor.

The fantasy being, hey that looks easy... I'll just buy some gear, load it up and start walking. Some people are able to sort things out right there on the spot and continue, and some have to go back home and figure it out, and maybe think about whether this is really what they want to do.

And there's nothing 'wrong' with either outcome.

thats impressive

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++