WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

My guess is 16 miles from the closest power grid (and town) via mostly private dirt logging roads that are a lot less maintained when they were 20 years ago. A swag would be an hour round trip to town is probably a minimum, add in another 20 minutes round trip to the nearest small grocery store in Millinocket.

I stayed there in July 2017. Beautiful, but remote, spot on a large lake and the boat ride across the lake to the site was pure Maine. I was the only one in the bunkhouse that night so it was quiet. Did laundry down by the lake, showered up and relaxed. I had the pizza for dinner and couldn't finish it, but had already ordered a cheeseburger to go for the next day. I had the pizza for lunch and ate the cheeseburger for dinner while sitting on a rock along the shore of Rainbow Lake, my next to last night on the trail. I still recall sitting on that rock watching a storm move toward us, thinking about how my hike was almost over. As much as I was ready to go home and enjoy some creature comforts, I knew I was going to miss the trail in that moment.

Eating at the Landing isn't cheap, but considering I bought a meal to go, it wasn't that much more than my town/hostel stays in the Northeast. Good people and consistent with the AT, they had some interesting stories to tell about the property. It was a nice bit of comfort in the Hundred Mile Wilderness.

The food all comes from Costco in Bangor. I was there one day when they were unboxing.

13-45 Section Hiker Trash
    Images

I spent a night at WHL on my last section a little over a week ago, and I thoroughly enjoyed my stay. Linda and Bill are great hosts (and hard working...running that place is a 24/7 job), the place is nice and clean with great amenities for being off grid, and the food was delicious. As others have stated it's not super cheap, but as a section hiker that hasn't been afraid to throw around a little cash to be comfortable one night while I'm out that didn't both me. My buddy and I got the private cabin, dinner, some beers and charged our phones, and that came to a little over $110 a person...that's pretty darn reasonable in my opinion considering you can drop that amount on a lower end to mediocre hotel nowadays.
    AT: 2007-2019 (45 sections)
    JMT: 2013

Any word on them being open this season?

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

I stayed there in 2010. I'm guessing they still have to fetch and return you on a boat. That's an expense and time suck.

My one and only complaint is that every time I looked at the resupply stuff they watched me like a hawk to make sure I didn't steal anything. I figured I was paying for someone else's sins.

Quote Originally Posted by HankIV View Post
    Any word on them being open this season?
    I just got the AWOL guide and they don't look listed.
    For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away Bryan Adams....
    Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes. - sargevining on HF

They didn't take ATers last season.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Hopefully that's because of Covid and they plan to open when things get back to normal - because this place is awesome. I hope to hike through the 100 mile and stay there again someday, super cool people. They did consider selling the place years ago and I got to know the hassle of keeping it open from talking to them so you never know.
    NoDoz
    nobo 2018 March 10th - October 19th
    -
    I'm just one too many mornings and 1,000 miles behind

I would have loved to stay there last September on my final section hike but alas, they were closed. I do recommend Harrison’s near Caratunk to experience a Maine sporting camp.

Default White House Landing in Maine

Quote Originally Posted by QuietStorm View Post
    I would have loved to stay there last September on my final section hike but alas, they were closed. I do recommend Harrison’s near Caratunk to experience a Maine sporting camp.
    Yes, Harrison’s is a must stop IMHO. It’s 3/10’s of a mile down a blue blazed trail from Pierce Pond shelter.

It’s not a hostel or camp spot for ATers, but they welcome you for breakfast.

Only thing is you have to walk in to the place from Pierce Pond the evening before to let them know you want breakfast. Only $7.00

Here is the dining room of Harrison’s.

https://www.trailjournals.com/journa...1125123/573256

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I hope that it's changed management and no longer is run by a big dufus that hates hiking. "Because I dislike extended misery" he said.

Stopped in there on my hike this past summer. Got a cookie and and huge glass of lemonade!
    "Ghost"
    NPT Nobo 2013, AT Sobo 2020

Quote Originally Posted by h. hastings View Post
    Stopped in there on my hike this past summer. Got a cookie and and huge glass of lemonade!
    That's odd. They were closed all hiking season in 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by h. hastings View Post
    From their FB page 7/3/20:

[COLOR=var(--primary-text)]FYI due to all restrictions we will not be taking any AT hikers off the trail this year . We will be having drive in cabin business only cabins are set up to do your own house keeping . restaurant is closed for the summer .

[/COLOR]

[COLOR=var(--secondary-text)]

[COLOR=var(--secondary-text)]20 Comments

[/COLOR]

[COLOR=var(--secondary-text)]Like[/COLOR]

[COLOR=var(--secondary-text)]Comment[/COLOR]

[COLOR=var(--secondary-text)]Share[/COLOR]

[/COLOR]

That's odd. They were closed all hiking season in 2020.
    Also odd because even when they were open as of recently, at least since 2018, they were only taking over nighters and no longer picking people up just for lunch/resupply ... which is totally understandable considering the hassle just for someone to get a cookie and a lemonade! ; )
    NoDoz
    nobo 2018 March 10th - October 19th
    -
    I'm just one too many mornings and 1,000 miles behind

Images

I hope they are open to thru-hikers this year; I am looking forward to staying there once I reach the HMW. Stayed at WHL in 2011 on a SOBO thru. I believe at the time, it was something around 30-35 bucks to stay in the bunk house cabin. Rememberable moments: 1 pound cheese burger, propane lanterns (not camping ones but built in old school lanterns with gas lines running to each), washboard laundry and canoeing around that sweet lake. Awesome experience. 10/10. Would honk air horn again.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." J.R.R. Tolkien
    -=POSSUM=- Rollin..

Quote Originally Posted by LazyLightning View Post
    Also odd because even when they were open as of recently, at least since 2018, they were only taking over nighters and no longer picking people up just for lunch/resupply ... which is totally understandable considering the hassle just for someone to get a cookie and a lemonade! ; )
    My comment was in reference to Harrison's at Pierce Pond. Whitehouse Landing didn't even have the dock out when I went by.
    "Ghost"
    NPT Nobo 2013, AT Sobo 2020

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    I stayed there in 2010. I'm guessing they still have to fetch and return you on a boat. That's an expense and time suck.

My one and only complaint is that every time I looked at the resupply stuff they watched me like a hawk to make sure I didn't steal anything. I figured I was paying for someone else's sins.
    Knowing the reputation some thru-hikers leave behind, they were looking after their interests.
    Grampie-N->2001

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++