Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

My guess is 16 miles from the closest power grid (and town) via mostly private dirt logging roads that are a lot less maintained when they were 20 years ago. A swag would be an hour round trip to town is probably a minimum, add in another 20 minutes round trip to the nearest small grocery store in Millinocket.

I stayed there in July 2017. Beautiful, but remote, spot on a large lake and the boat ride across the lake to the site was pure Maine. I was the only one in the bunkhouse that night so it was quiet. Did laundry down by the lake, showered up and relaxed. I had the pizza for dinner and couldn't finish it, but had already ordered a cheeseburger to go for the next day. I had the pizza for lunch and ate the cheeseburger for dinner while sitting on a rock along the shore of Rainbow Lake, my next to last night on the trail. I still recall sitting on that rock watching a storm move toward us, thinking about how my hike was almost over. As much as I was ready to go home and enjoy some creature comforts, I knew I was going to miss the trail in that moment.

Eating at the Landing isn't cheap, but considering I bought a meal to go, it wasn't that much more than my town/hostel stays in the Northeast. Good people and consistent with the AT, they had some interesting stories to tell about the property. It was a nice bit of comfort in the Hundred Mile Wilderness.

The food all comes from Costco in Bangor. I was there one day when they were unboxing.

13-45 Section Hiker Trash Berserker's Avatar
    Images

I spent a night at WHL on my last section a little over a week ago, and I thoroughly enjoyed my stay. Linda and Bill are great hosts (and hard working...running that place is a 24/7 job), the place is nice and clean with great amenities for being off grid, and the food was delicious. As others have stated it's not super cheap, but as a section hiker that hasn't been afraid to throw around a little cash to be comfortable one night while I'm out that didn't both me. My buddy and I got the private cabin, dinner, some beers and charged our phones, and that came to a little over $110 a person...that's pretty darn reasonable in my opinion considering you can drop that amount on a lower end to mediocre hotel nowadays.
    AT: 2007-2019 (45 sections)
    JMT: 2013

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++