WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Helinox One

Default Helinox One

So, the past year I have really been eyeballing the helinox chair line. I found the chair one, weighing in at 2lbs, at a tremendous price, almost to good to be true. I am wondering, are there any fans here of the helinox? Have you ever taken it on a backpacking trip?

I have the Helinox Chair Zero which weighs about a pound. It’s definitely a luxury item but has its place on certain hikes. It’s great when I’m out with the kids and focus on cool campsites with plenty of places to play. While the kids are exploring, I’m lounging in my chair.

When I’m out doing an AT section and focused on mileage then the chair stays at home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i have a Helinox one, bought back in 2014. Sits low to the ground for this old body, but Very comfortable for what it is. My version has little narrow feet, and they tend to sink in sandy ground. I bent the frame once when this happened and it tipped. They sent me a replacement tube...didn't match color and finish, but it works.
    Anyway, my version is a bit on the heavy side IMO. I've only toted it for basically car camping with scouts, or only on short hikes into camp, but it's certainly doable. I think they have lighter versions now.

A bit later, I learned about this chair from a youtuber, follow bigfoot...
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    bought one for my son. I haven't played with it in a couple years, but I do remember liking it better in some ways. I want to say it was a bit heavier though...the fabric seat part for sure...maybe a bit heavier frame, not sure...

If your not going far and doing a lot of sitting around as a result, then a chair is nice. Nothing wrong with hiking in a few miles to a campsite near a pond or stream for a relaxing overnight.

For longer hikes, you better really like that chair a lot to bring it along. 2 pounds is a lot of extra weight.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I have a One, and have enjoyed having it. It is a little low to the ground, but quite comfortable. I have some arthritis and a camp chair helps a lot. Last summer, another hiker had a Zero. It is slightly smaller, but weighs a pound instead of two pounds. I ponied up for that one, and have been just as happy. It is extra weight, but I go out to enjoy the whole trip... and sitting in a chair at a lakeshore, or an overlook is so very civilized. :-) That same other hiker carried a Yeti Rambler bottle. We’d get to camp, set up tents, and then set up our chairs. In seconds, he’d be sitting in his Zero, drinking hot coffee he’d made at breakfast, out of his Rambler, and I’d be sitting in my One, jealous as all get out. My pack weighs under 20 pounds, and I have a comfortable tent, sleeping bag and pad, AND enough luxury items to make my campsite time as enjoyable as my hike. If you want to see if the chairs are comfortable, and you don’t live near a place that sells the Helinox chairs, Walmart sells a knockoff that looks like the Helinoxes, and you could go set one up in aisle and see if it feels comfy, but then I’d recommend you get a One or Zero, because they will be much lighter. I got one of the knockoffs to use when I go bird and bear and wolf watching from parking lots. It’s heavier and more sturdy. When I go backpacking, I put the Zero in one of the side pockets and don’t think twice about the extra pound. If I didn’t want to enjoy myself, I’d stay home and mow the lawn.

We have the helinox beach chairs. I think they weigh 2.5 lbs each. They have a tall back on them and I could sleep in one if I was tired enough. When my frameless pack is all put together at 20 lbs or less I sometimes think about getting out the winter pack and throwing the chair on. It really depends on the trip. If it’s going to make you have a better trip then heck yea bring it. I’m sure you could look real close at your kit and loose at-least a pound somewhere to offset it’s weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
    i have a Helinox one, bought back in 2014. Sits low to the ground for this old body, but Very comfortable for what it is. My version has little narrow feet, and they tend to sink in sandy ground. I bent the frame once when this happened and it tipped. They sent me a replacement tube...didn't match color and finish, but it works.
    Anyway, my version is a bit on the heavy side IMO. I've only toted it for basically car camping with scouts, or only on short hikes into camp, but it's certainly doable. I think they have lighter versions now.

A bit later, I learned about this chair from a youtuber, follow bigfoot...
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    bought one for my son. I haven't played with it in a couple years, but I do remember liking it better in some ways. I want to say it was a bit heavier though...the fabric seat part for sure...maybe a bit heavier frame, not sure...
    The knock off helinox chairs all fall apart. Not worth it.

I was going to go with the sling back chair, sitting pad, that you use your trekking poles with by mountainsmith. Then I got to thinking, it wouldn’t be the wisest decision in wet conditions where the ground was saturated. And I sure don’t need to carry around two different chairs. I believe I am going to go with the helinox after all.

2 pounds? Seems kind of heavy, probably including the stuff sack which I do not use.. My Helinox is definitely worth the 1.1lb penalty.

++ New Posts ++