WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Big Agnes Tiger Wall Carbon

Lonehiker (MRT '22)

This is a nice accompaniment to my $1,000 iPhone. BTW, I’ll be eating cat food from now on!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Vince G View Post
    This is a nice accompaniment to my $1,000 iPhone. BTW, I’ll be eating cat food from now on!

AMEN! Brother.
    Wayne

Wowzers. That is insane!

W8lkinUSA

Nice!! First UL freestanding tent in the market?

If I had never-ending beautiful stone-topped mountains to scale, I would totally drop the coin on it so that I can rock both hammock and tent on backpacking adventures. Who needs an iPhone when you can settle with a flip phone?

REI warranty/returns department has to be chain smoking right about now.

I would like to add that they do have 2 progressively cheaper models of the Tiger Wall. They are a little heavier but still fairly light. For the record I will be using my Fly Creek (instead of my Duplex) on my upcoming NM CDT trip.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

W8lkinUSA

On second thought, this might be too confining for my 5' 11'' height.
    Think I'll start with Massdrop's recent Mountainsmith Morrison 2p tent drop for now.

Cool tent. There may be slight decision agony if you you get caught in a downpour at dusk, desperately looking for a flat spot when you finally find one and now have decide whether you want to inspect the ground for pricklies or say da hell with $1000

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Let me go

Images

Quote Originally Posted by SWODaddy View Post
    REI warranty/returns department has to be chain smoking right about now.

Man, isn't that the truth.

Not sure what BA is smoking down there in Colorado, but this creation is going to be problem laden given the weight fabric's they've settled on... IMO, 0.33oz cuben for a tent fly is nuts as is 0.5oz cuben for a floor.

How do you know they're using .33 on the fly and .5 on the floor? I didn't see that kind of info on the BA page.

Probably not fully freestanding because one side only uses one pole and thus you have to stake out the corners ... at least from the photographs on their web site .. .. similar to Fly Creek

Quote Originally Posted by W8lkinUSA View Post
    Nice!! First UL freestanding tent in the market?

If I had never-ending beautiful stone-topped mountains to scale, I would totally drop the coin on it so that I can rock both hammock and tent on backpacking adventures. Who needs an iPhone when you can settle with a flip phone?
    Last edited by T.S.Kobzol; 03-11-2019 at 10:55.
    Let me go

Images

Quote Originally Posted by CalebJ View Post
    How do you know they're using .33 on the fly and .5 on the floor? I didn't see that kind of info on the BA page.
    My bad: 0.34 on the fly.
    https://andrewskurka.com/2018/previe...ent-tarp-bivy/

Thanks for sharing that! I'd missed that article previously. Definitely agree with Skurka's appraisal of those selections as 'bold'. Yikes.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Kobzol View Post
    Probably not fully freestanding because one side only uses one pole and thus you have to stake out the corners ... at least from the photographs on their web site .. ..
    The above listed review uses the words "semi-freestanding" to describe both the Tiger Wall and the Fly Creek.

It's not apples to apples, but something like the Triplex seems like better value here.

freestanding/double wall feature for 300 more bucks, but at the expense of durability?

PASS, even if I can a get a knew one from REI after every trip due to failure.

Quote Originally Posted by BradMT View Post
    yep. And BA has pushed the Dyneema/carbon Copper Spur as well.

Quote Originally Posted by BradMT View Post
    Man, your right about this. I was paranoid about my .51 Duplex, and this thing is gonna seem like tissue paper. Also, bear in mind that the fly will be subject to abrasion as the poles shift in the wind. Now, the fly may have a thicker Mylar coating but, in any case, this is not my cup of tea.

W8lkinUSA

Y'all are bringing to light the details that I didn't bother reading into. Pays to read between the lines.

I love new gear and ambitious new designs. And if I won the lottery tonight, I'd unquestionably spend $1K on this tent. But aside from winning the lottery, this tent requires some perspective.

(...and maybe I'm a bit emotional because I can't afford one...)

Big Agnes lists the packed weight at 1 lb 11 oz with 27 sq. ft, a 39 inch ceiling height, and TWO doors each with 8 sq ft vestibule. For $999.99. Yup - one thousand bucks.

My SMD Lunar Solo is 1 lb 12.12 oz (with stakes and guy-outs) offering 26 sq. ft, a 48 inch ceiling height, and ONE door with 8 sq ft vestibule. For $200. Yup - $800.00 bucks cheaper.

Obviously not a fair comparison: double-wall vs single-wall; two vestibules vs one; "Free-standing" vs stakes...

But the Tiger Wall is NOT a truly free-standing tent. I have a FlyCreek and know that this design requires stakes to widen out the foot box.

And this isn't ideally a two-person tent. SMD lists their 26 sq ft as "1.5 person." And I believe it. 1 more sq ft doesn't make it a comfortable two-person tent. This is a cozy tent. You won't be sleeping in it with anyone except a really good friend - and then all your shizz will be in the vestibules. I suspect most peeps use these "two-person" tents as a solo tents. (like I do.) Why do so many videos show solo hikers in the Z-packs Duplex? (Homemade Wanderlust/Dixie and Darwin...)

And the difference between 39" inch ceiling height vs 48 inches is HYUUUGE - in my experience with my Flycreek Ul1 vs. my SMD Lunar Solo.

So I'm pissing angry because I can't afford one. But in actuality, I don't really feel bad. I don't think the extra vestibule and double-wall are worth $800 extra. (Keep telling myself that... Keep telling myself that... Repeat, Keep telling myself that...)

Maybe someone can compare-o with a Z-packs Duplex?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++