WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by tdoczi View Post
    for the record, and at risk of causing more of a tangent than i already have, i only bring up the slackpack reverse over moosilauke in discussions of purism to point out that very few, if any, hikers hike the whole trail while never doing something someone somewhere would call "unpure." i find it interesting the things that are objectionable and the things that are not, to those who seem to care.

another place, even more curious, where i observed such a thing to be very common is north of pearisburg, though not as common.
    As the OP not sure how we got to this point, but I find it interesting. For whatever it's worth, which is probably very little, I have not slackpacked, yellow-blazed, or even blue-blazed on bad weather trails--yet anyway--and am committed to continuing to hike as I have between Springer and Hanover and all my day, weekend, and overnight training hikes in between. I don't criticize anyone for doing so. I've noticed a lot of the 2019 thru hiker-vloggers this year slackpacking and taking zeros because of the weather. I think you have to do what you feel is safe, enjoyable, or some combination of the two. Some of us masochists like the challenge of hiking with a full pack. I love my pack and feel lost without it, as crazy as that sounds. I rarely stay in hostels--using them mainly as re-supply points or parking my car. I use re-supply boxes because I found on my Massachusetts section hike that I would much rather be hiking or resting than food shopping. In any case, thanks to everyone for the advice so far. You have me thoroughly intimidated by the Whites but I'm sure as my planning falls into place I'll get over it.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by QuietStorm View Post
    As the OP not sure how we got to this point, but I find it interesting. For whatever it's worth, which is probably very little, I have not slackpacked, yellow-blazed, or even blue-blazed on bad weather trails--yet anyway--and am committed to continuing to hike as I have between Springer and Hanover and all my day, weekend, and overnight training hikes in between. I don't criticize anyone for doing so. I've noticed a lot of the 2019 thru hiker-vloggers this year slackpacking and taking zeros because of the weather. I think you have to do what you feel is safe, enjoyable, or some combination of the two. Some of us masochists like the challenge of hiking with a full pack. I love my pack and feel lost without it, as crazy as that sounds. I rarely stay in hostels--using them mainly as re-supply points or parking my car. I use re-supply boxes because I found on my Massachusetts section hike that I would much rather be hiking or resting than food shopping. In any case, thanks to everyone for the advice so far. You have me thoroughly intimidated by the Whites but I'm sure as my planning falls into place I'll get over it.
    another bit of advice, and someone else touched on this briefly in this thread or maybe the other similar thread- if the weather is bad and you can afford to do so, wait it out. not just for safety, but poor weather just throws the "this sucks" vs "this is awesome" equilibrium way out of balance and it becomes pretty much just all suck.

"This sucks" can quickly turn into "I could die or get seriously hurt" above treeline in the whites. Thus my recommendations about being flexible. It has snowed every month of the year on Mt Washington and the conditions are right for hypothermia a couple of days a month even in summer. The AMC huts do post realistic weather forecasts applicable to the ridgeline every morning for all to see and the crew are generally quite familiar with what conditions are potentially life threatening. They do have contingencies in place for guests if the conditions to the next hut are expected to be dangerous.

Do note the AT is the bad weather route that skips the summits starting at Eisenhower all the way to Madison. In some cases like Washington the bypass is trivial but on the majority to hit every blaze you need to do an out and back of varying length back via a blueblaze from either junction with the bad weather trail (which is the AT) to get to the actual summit and its associated 360 degree view. Doing all those out and backs do eat up some time and elevation gain on what is potentially a very long day so plan them in if you want to keep pure and also get the views.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    "This sucks" can quickly turn into "I could die or get seriously hurt"
    for sure. i guess my point was that even when it seems undoubtedly safe to proceed it might be more enjoyable to wait anyway.

Waiting out bad weather keeps you alive. Pushing on no matter what gets people killed or injured. Bad weather above tree line is not to be triffid with. People get seriously hurt and die in these mountains every year.
    Plus like tdoczi says, it sucks.

If it's raining, it's usually very windy above tree line which compounds the problem. Nothing like 40 degree rain hitting you sideways at up to 50 mph for hours while trying to stay upright on those slippery, seemingly randomly placed rocks we call a trail, all the while trying to spot the next carion so you know which way to go. If you head out into those conditions, you best have the smarts to turn around before you go too far into it to turn around. There aren't many options to get out of bad weather once your into it and all those options are bad.

Early summer storms tend to move through pretty fast, so waiting out a rainy day isn't too big a deal. It's prudent. With any luck, it will come through at night. There are daily forecasts for the ridges from the Mt Washington obs, it's worth paying attention to them. That can help you plan for where you want to be for the next few days. And more importantly, where you don't want to be.

Be smart, be safe and enjoy.

You don't want to be here when it's raining.
    SAM_4003.JPG
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Waiting out bad weather keeps you alive.
    this is where this always ends up becoming too dichotomous.

there are nice, beautiful pleasant days.

there are dangerous days. and for sake of argument we can call "almost maybe sort of on the brink of turning dangerous" as dangerous.

and then there are days that are perfectly safe but just no fun. even in the whites these days exist. i know, ive hiked on more than one.

its this last set i'm talking about.

this is where this always ends up becoming too dichotomous.

there are nice, beautiful pleasant days.

there are dangerous days. and for sake of argument we can call "almost maybe sort of on the brink of turning dangerous" as dangerous.

and then there are days that are perfectly safe but just no fun. even in the whites these days exist. i know, ive hiked on more than one.

its this last set i'm talking about.
    Yep, there are many days when it's just nasty windy (which is the usual state) and others when your in a cloud the whole way. The summits are often in a cloud all day in July when it's humid. Actual precipitation is when it turns dangerous.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Yep, there are many days when it's just nasty windy (which is the usual state) and others when your in a cloud the whole way. The summits are often in a cloud all day in July when it's humid. Actual precipitation is when it turns dangerous.
    i think precipitation = danger is a mite too far.

i think precipitation = danger is a mite too far.
    then you haven't been in the Whites much have you?
    precip in the whites in the middle of summer can become sleet or snow at any moment. white out conditions, even when it's "just fog" can make losing the trail, and your life, a serious prospect. Get caught above tree line when a storm rolls in, with or without lightning, and see how fast you are scrambling to find a "safe space."
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Quote Originally Posted by PennyPincher View Post
    precip in the whites in the middle of summer can become sleet or snow at any moment. white out conditions, even when it's "just fog" can make losing the trail, and your life, a serious prospect. Get caught above tree line when a storm rolls in, with or without lightning, and see how fast you are scrambling to find a "safe space."
    Its not even the sleet or snow.

It's the slabs of rock you HAVE to jungle gym down.

I hate descending anything in the Whites when its raining..No matter the season.

The Carter-Moriah ridge during any wet weather is a horrible experience.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

Images

Quote Originally Posted by PennyPincher View Post
    i've been in both the carters and the mahoosucs on rainy days, and i was far from the only person out hiking. it never felt anywhere near dangerous, lets save the hyperbole.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by fastfoxengineering View Post
    Its not even the sleet or snow.

It's the slabs of rock you HAVE to jungle gym down.

I hate descending anything in the Whites when its raining..No matter the season.

The Carter-Moriah ridge during any wet weather is a horrible experience.

thats a large part of what i'm talking about when i talk about suck factor

i've been in both the carters and the mahoosucs on rainy days, and i was far from the only person out hiking. it never felt anywhere near dangerous, lets save the hyperbole.
    "Never felt anywhere near dangerous"

Mt Washington has a serious death toll.

It must be because its not anywhere near dangerous...

Images

Quote Originally Posted by fastfoxengineering View Post
    "Never felt anywhere near dangerous"

Mt Washington has a serious death toll.

It must be because its not anywhere near dangerous...

right, because "its never dangerous to hike in the whites" is anywhere near what i said.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++