WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Kelly Kettle

Default Kelly Kettle

Has anyone here ever used the kelly kettle on a thru hike?

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

While I can't be 100% sure, everything I can find suggests this is NOT a backpacking stove.

What I could find on Amazon indicates it is more that 2lbs, and the Walmart website doesn't even list backpacking as one of the ises for this (they only say camping which might imply front country camping).

And if you are attracted to the idea you can collect sticks, twigs, and pine cones for fuel... there are lighter weight options available, but you have to keep in mind how humid and rainy parts of the AT can be.

Journal Entries

About 10 yrs ago, a UL version of chimney kettle called the Backcountry Boiler was produced in a limited number. It was a hot item on BPL. Fizzled due to production problems.

I know some that use it religiously on hiking trips; and due to the ease of the KK I wondered if anyone had ever thought or attempted it on a thru hike. Due to its size it would take a great deal of room in a pack.

I tried it. It is a ridiculous product and that is coming from a guy who lives fire and used SOLO Woodburning stove for many years.

IMHO it is impractical for thru hiking,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Let me go

Images

Small pot of similar capacity weighs anywhere from 4 to 8 oz vs over a pound for most available kettles, plus the pot is more versatile (you can actually cook food in it / eat out of it if wanted) and a pot is easier to clean.

I guess I'd be a little worried if you were trying to use it in very wet conditions, fuel dry enough to start might be a problem. I love my MSR Whisperlite and Toaks titanium pot. Gasoline always lights.

I like my whisperlite, dragonfly, and windburner. Lol

++ New Posts ++