WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Gentlemen,

It sounds far more challenging than I initially thought. I'm in! I'm going to do some planning and put in for vacation. Is there an official/unofficial guidebook similar to the AT, or one you guys particularly recommend?

-Danger Danjo '08

Images

Green Mountain Club is the official organization. They sell the Long Trail Guide, the End to Ender's Guide, Maps, etc. And of course there's also the Guthook app for your phone.

Journal Entries

The long trail map from gmc is fantastic, perfect.
    Because the trail is very straight, it covers the whole thing perfect with one sheet, several panels each side.

The e2e guide is worthless imo. You can find info online for repsupply. And guthook is great too, especially for recent water beta when a dry period comes.

At the very least you need the E2E guide. Many LT hikers use just that. Use the Guthook app if you want to know exactly where you are.

The guide book has a lot more general information and history. It also has the blow-by-blow trial descriptions, way point mileage chart and camping regulations specific to each division. The LT is broken up into twelve divisions, each about 20 miles long.

My guide (which is from 1990) has a chart with the estimated time for how long it takes to hike between waypoint points.

I added them all up and came up with 177.25 hours for a NOBO hike and 178.25 hours for a SOBO hike. Lets say you hike for 8 hours out of the day, 177/8 = 22 days. 268 miles in 177 hours = 1.5 mph pace. Seems about right.

They don't explain how they arrived at the hiking time. They must have a formula. I could usually beat the book time by a little when I was in my prime, not so much anymore.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Journal Entries

Images

Quote Originally Posted by hokieav8r View Post
    Direct link: https://www.atdist.com/atdist?k1=AT&...7a00&year=2020

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++