WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Using my old maps for Erwin to Hot Springs

This summer, I plan to re-do the section from Erwin TN (actually, Spivey Gap 19W) to Hot Springs NC. I still have my maps (from 2008) and my Trail Guide (from 2009). Have there been significant relocations etc. during that time that would justify getting a new set?

Laurel Hostel is not on my map. I talked with them, and they plan to be open this summer, but the signal for the call was poor and we didn’t talk for long. I believe they are accessible from the AT a little southbound from Flint Mtn shelter, maybe down in Flint Gap. Is that right? Is there a sign or an obvious trail to the hostel? Anyone have a reasonably polite opinion about Laurel Hostel they care to offer?

Thanks.
    Rusty
    Half Vast Expeditions
    Chapel Hill

They have a facebook site. Plus there is a little information -only a little information- about this hostel if you do a google search. I'm glad you posted though, because this is a good location that I would like to use this summer.

The trail hasn't changed much in 10 years. Some minor relos here and there mostly for erosion control. The Hot Springs to Erwin section isn't likely to ever change.

But for up to date information, get the Guthooks app. Unless your one of the few in the world still without a smart phone. Guthook would likely have the info on the new hostel if it's been there for more then a year.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Journal Entries

58 miles.

Better get all the info you can buy.
    Maybe hire a guide as well.

Does it matter if trail is 58, 58.5, 58.9 miles?

Are you not going to carry all food for maybe what 4 days tops?
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 03-06-2019 at 06:45.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Joints View Post
    This summer, I plan to re-do the section from Erwin TN (actually, Spivey Gap 19W) to Hot Springs NC. I still have my maps (from 2008) and my Trail Guide (from 2009). Have there been significant relocations etc. during that time that would justify getting a new set?

Laurel Hostel is not on my map. I talked with them, and they plan to be open this summer, but the signal for the call was poor and we didn’t talk for long. I believe they are accessible from the AT a little southbound from Flint Mtn shelter, maybe down in Flint Gap. Is that right? Is there a sign or an obvious trail to the hostel? Anyone have a reasonably polite opinion about Laurel Hostel they care to offer?

Thanks.
    Rusty
    Half Vast Expeditions
    Chapel Hill
    Laurel Hostel is not in Guthooks and I have not heard of them.
    There are 3 hostels I know of between Erwin and Hot Springs
    -Natures Inn about 15 miles into your trip
    -Mothers Marions Hostel(Actually haven't heard of this one just referred to Guthooks) at the same 15 miles into your trip
    -Hemlock Hollow Inn - 43 miles into your trip. I have used Hemlock hollow for a shuttle and they did in fact get me back to my car, nothing special about that.

As far as updated maps go I wouldn't worry about it. I have also solely used guthooks for about 4 years now and it is about as convenient as it gets for 8.99/ 250 miles of trail.
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

No big relos that would require updated maps.

Never heard of Laurel Hostel. But they have some sort of FB page. I know of some couple trail angels that offer their guest rooms to hikers in that area. They list themselves on Iva Road just off of Rector Laurel Road.

Rector Laurel Road is NB of Devils Fork Gap crossing over and down the hill and you hit the road. I would assume its toward the left going back into TN as the trail sits near the end of the road before private property/stateline. If you start climbing up passing a gravesite and toward Sugarloaf Gap, you have gone too far.

The only access from, the AT around Flint Mtn is backcountry access to Rocky Fork State Park.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Thanks everyone, 'specially Gambit and Tennessee. I knew that the hostel was not on Guthook nor the official hostel list. I asked the guy I talked with about that, but between my old ringing ears and the bad connection, I couldn't figure out what he said.

I'll leave this thread open. If I end up staying there or if I learn anything that seems useful, I'll post it here. White Blaze continues to be a big help, I think.
    Last edited by Rusty Joints; 03-06-2019 at 21:00.

Well. On the 25th of June, we were southbound from Flint Mountain Shelter, and hit Rector Laurel Road around lunch time. There were signs for Laurel Hostel. It is about 150 yards from the trail, where Iva Pond Road hits Rector Laurel. There is a bunkhouse with 6 (I think) bunk beds, a shaded area outside with a picnic table, a grill, fridge, microwave, and running water. When we got there, we met a guy who had showed up because he heard there was pizza. Domino was his trail name. “They named my Daddy Papa John too” he told us. The proprietor, Timmy Two Toke, is a young TN gentleman, a gracious host, not afraid to tell a story. Besides pizza, he had corn dogs, some sandwiches, cold soft drinks and beer. There is also a flat grassy area where 2 tents were pitched. The charges for food, drink, showers and staying in the bunkhouse seemed reasonable to me. There is a Facebook page. So if you find yourself needing a snack or your gear is all wet or whatever, I recommend Laurel Hostel. The old maps, as predicted, were fine. The only place they didn’t quite match up around the tent site where the old Goose Gap shelter was, but it was not enough to get you off trail.The last time I hiked this section was in 1993, when I was 44. Now I’m 70. It is still a spectacular section, and I get to enjoy it more because I move a lot slower.Rusty JointsHalf Vast ExpeditionsChapel Hill

Taking the AT south from Devils Fork Gap, you are going northbound on the AT -- towards Maine, not Georgia.

Yes sir, you are. I use the AT convention out of habit, or laziness. If I left Spivey Gap and am headed to Hot Springs, I am southbound. My hiking partner is a pilot and a map guy. He is offended by this. There are 2 other places I know of where it happens - Neels Gap to Deep Gap, where the trail seems to do a full 360, and crossing from NJ to NY, where you are traveling sort of southeast.

++ New Posts ++