WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Wondering How This Year's Thru-Hikers Are Doing?

So I was just killing time and drifted over to YouTube. There I saw "Julie's Appalachian Trail Vlog #4: Woody Gay to Hiawassee," which was published today. Standard fare until 11:25 minutes into the video and then she shows this.

Frozen shoes.PNG

Those shoes are frozen solid and she says, stuck together. Looks like the fun is raging out there for the thru-hikers.

By the way, it appears "Trail Magic" is still going strong on the trail. The video showed a big hiker feed at Mountain Crossings (Neel Gap) with a band playing, too.
    Trail Name - Slapshot
    "One step at a time."
    Blog - www.tonysadventure.com

Leonidas

That was the Mountain Crossings Kickoff Party, we went over there from the ATKO on Saturday.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Wowzers!

Those trail runners will thaw out and subsequently dry out much faster than heavier stiffer boots would if both were allowed to completely freeze (which is the problem with this scenario in the first place)
    whether one uses boots or trail runners, priority should be not letting them freeze.... hell, it looks like she left them out in the snow even!!!

That Julie and hiking partner are doing about 20 mile days from the start I think. Hopefully they can handle it.

Wind chill to 10 below in the Smokies Thursday night and Friday...wonder who has made it that far? I’m not following anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Traffic Jam View Post
    Wind chill to 10 below in the Smokies Thursday night and Friday...wonder who has made it that far? I’m not following anyone.
    lots of people are sitting it out. Weather will break next week.

Since I retire on the 15th and we fly out on the 17th I’m glad we didn’t start in February as some pushed us to.

BTW: https://www.reddit.com/r/Appalachian...week_2_update/

that will I’ll update you once a week.

the leveL of evangelism of trailrunners has no bounds. I'm surprised the Everest climbers haven't switched to trailrunners yet...they just need them slightLy more insulated and VOILA! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by trailmercury View Post
    Those trail runners will thaw out and subsequently dry out much faster than heavier stiffer boots would if both were allowed to completely freeze (which is the problem with this scenario in the first place)
    whether one uses boots or trail runners, priority should be not letting them freeze.... hell, it looks like she left them out in the snow even!!!
    Let me go

I'm thinking of all those gear lists that had short pants, no long pants, because you know you need to save weight.

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Kobzol View Post
    the leveL of evangelism of trailrunners has no bounds. I'm surprised the Everest climbers haven't switched to trailrunners yet...they just need them slightLy more insulated and VOILA! :-)
    Yeah, 'cause Everest is exactly like the AT...

I scan some of the entries from trail journals occasionally and I noticed one lady quit because the group of fellow thrus she was hiking with ditched her in Franklin and it hurt her feelings. Plus she was getting tired of getting rained on and being exhausted all the time.
    Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.

Quote Originally Posted by full conditions View Post
    I scan some of the entries from trail journals occasionally and I noticed one lady quit because the group of fellow thrus she was hiking with ditched her in Franklin and it hurt her feelings. Plus she was getting tired of getting rained on and being exhausted all the time.
    Well, at least she made it 100 miles. I wonder who told her she wouldn't get rained on and be exhausted all the time?
    Trail Name - Slapshot
    "One step at a time."

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ldsailor View Post
    Well, at least she made it 100 miles. I wonder who told her she wouldn't get rained on and be exhausted all the time?
    Yup.
    78 miles in 13 days can really exhaust you.

I had to go look that one up, because quitting due to people you barely know ditching you... Is interesting ....as to why they would. Sometimes you can read their journal and think....I see now...

Kind of interesting that just about all the trail journals are old people. The children must be using YouTube.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 03-08-2019 at 22:36.

Quote Originally Posted by ldsailor View Post
    Was her name Mary Ellen? Asking for a friend named Bill.

Quote Originally Posted by RockDoc View Post
    Was her name Mary Ellen? Asking for a friend named Bill.
    Almost missed that one. Tell Mr. Bryson it wasn't Mary Ellen.
    Trail Name - Slapshot
    "One step at a time."

I understand freezing footwear is a good way to get rid of smell. I believe the theory is the extreme cold kills the bacteria.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Kind of interesting that just about all the trail journals are old people. The children must be using YouTube.
    You're like 2-3 apps behind man. Facebook isn't even the main one anymore. Last I checked, Instagram was really big, but I'm probably behind the times on that already.
    It is what it is.

Start in March they said... thats what everyone does...

My next AT thru Im starting in May lol.

Imo.. the colder fall in Maine is nicer than the nasty spring in GA/TN.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

"old people"
    nnniiiiccceee

++ New Posts ++