WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    “Rusha”

Default Zpack Bear Bag or Bear Vault 500???

Trying to decide whether to carry my food in my Zpack bear bag or in the BV500. I have both and while I like the lighter weight of my bear bag, I camp a lot at campsites instead of shelters and therefore have to hang my bag. I find hanging my bag labor intensive, and probably not very good, and am considering bringing my BV500 just for the ease of storing my food each night. Yes, it weighs 2.9lbs, but I’m thinking its worth the ease and security of my food.

Thoughts???

Seems like you’ve got the plusses and minuses well covered.

After 25+ years of hanging I went to a bareboxer and don't miss hanging a bit. A bear has already tried to get into my can and failed. Do you need a BV 500 for every trip? I can get 4 days in my 1.6 lb boxer and carry my 5th, if needed.

“Rusha”

How far from camp do you place your BV 500 at night?

Leonidas

I'm actually planning on going to a full time bear can as well. I hike well after dark most trips and don't care for the hassle of hanging. I would rather carry the weight and have it as a bonus place to sit.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

You could invest in a smaller, lighter bearikade to use full time.

A BV500 is a pretty large canister. It should easily fit 7 days of food for a regular hiker.

If your only going out for the weekend why downsize the 450.

Idk your plans. But routinely carrying a bv500 would be a hassle.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by martinb View Post
    After 25+ years of hanging I went to a bareboxer and don't miss hanging a bit. A bear has already tried to get into my can and failed. Do you need a BV 500 for every trip? I can get 4 days in my 1.6 lb boxer and carry my 5th, if needed.
    Good info...may be doing JMT again nobo this fall..curious how much you can cram in it as it’s largest I’d want to carry with my mld burn...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leonidas

Quote Originally Posted by fastfoxengineering View Post

A BV500 is a pretty large canister. It should easily fit 7 days of food for a regular hiker.
    If that is in response to me, for solo use, the 450 would probably work. I'm trying to narrow everything down to dual-use though so for the AT sections I do with the wife, the 450 wouldn't cut it. I like the bearikade but the cost vs the small bit of weight savings isn't on my radar atm. Now that I think about it, maybe I should just ask her what she wants to do. Two bareboxers aren't that bad pricewise. The 500 looked like it would strap on top of my Osprey Exos 38 pretty easily with the flapjacket.

As for use, it would be for section hikes of about a week to 9 days in length and possibly a BMT/LT thru later this year.
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'

Quote Originally Posted by JC13 View Post
    If that is in response to me, for solo use, the 450 would probably work. I'm trying to narrow everything down to dual-use though so for the AT sections I do with the wife, the 450 wouldn't cut it. I like the bearikade but the cost vs the small bit of weight savings isn't on my radar atm. Now that I think about it, maybe I should just ask her what she wants to do. Two bareboxers aren't that bad pricewise. The 500 looked like it would strap on top of my Osprey Exos 38 pretty easily with the flapjacket.

As for use, it would be for section hikes of about a week to 9 days in length and possibly a BMT/LT thru later this year.
    If I was thru hiking the LT I would use a 450. Resupplys are no more than 3-5 days. I would recommend mail drops for the Long Trail too. You only need 4-5 boxes. Hmu if you need LT logisitics I hiked in 2014 and then the AT section again in 2018. You'll find noone hangs their food on the LT. Most people literally hang it off the mouse hangs right in the shelters.

Plenty of mini bears on the LT though. You will be flanked and attacked my mini bears.

But in all honesty.. if I was planning on always carrying a can. I would invest in a bearikade.

I think two people would be better off both carrying 450s than 1 person carrying a single 500.

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    Good info...may be doing JMT again nobo this fall..curious how much you can cram in it as it’s largest I’d want to carry with my mld burn...

Do you FBC? I do and can get four days, snacks and meals, in there no sweat. I typically carry the 5th day's dinner if needed.

Oh and it fits in my Gossemer gorilla, no problem.

“Rusha”

I already have the BV500 because I either hike with my pup or my partner...or both. For this hike I’ll be with my pup and we’re doing a 500 mile LASH from Atkins, VA to Harpers Ferry.

I use the Hyperlite Southwest 3400 pack - I’m thinking I’ll have to carry the BV500 on top of my pack. My thoughts are that I’ll keep my food in dry bag in my pack since it will be heavy, and load the BV500 with my tent, rain gear, and other lightweight items that will fit. I can then easily use the 500 as a chair when taking breaks, without having to get into my pack. Once I’m at camp and setup my tent, I’ll just put the food bag in the BV500 and be done.
    Last edited by ashmorec; 03-05-2019 at 15:54.

Regarding the use of a Bear Vault I believe the vault should be placed a distance from your tent and then you hope it is there in the morning? I have a vault which I have never used and figured to place it at a respectable distance tied to a tree with maybe 30 ft of paracord. What do you do? Put it out there and hope for the best in the morning?

Leonidas

If I was thru hiking the LT I would use a 450. Resupplys are no more than 3-5 days. I would recommend mail drops for the Long Trail too. You only need 4-5 boxes. Hmu if you need LT logisitics I hiked in 2014 and then the AT section again in 2018. You'll find noone hangs their food on the LT. Most people literally hang it off the mouse hangs right in the shelters.

Plenty of mini bears on the LT though. You will be flanked and attacked my mini bears.

But in all honesty.. if I was planning on always carrying a can. I would invest in a bearikade.

I think two people would be better off both carrying 450s than 1 person carrying a single 500.

Thank you sir!
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'

“Rusha”

Quote Originally Posted by steady123 View Post
    Regarding the use of a Bear Vault I believe the vault should be placed a distance from your tent and then you hope it is there in the morning? I have a vault which I have never used and figured to place it at a respectable distance tied to a tree with maybe 30 ft of paracord. What do you do? Put it out there and hope for the best in the morning?
    From what I’ve just read, you should store your canister 100 ft downwind from your campsite. It should be wedged between some boulders, or placed in a thick bush, so a bear cannot roll it away or over a cliff/down a hill.

I suppose tying it securely to a tree might work, but with it being round and slick I’m not sure how you would do that. Unless you tie it to tree and then place rocks around it for extra security.

I have both BV500 and 450. I bought the 500 for me to carry on a portion of the JMT with all the food for my daughter and I. Repackaged everything and
    got in more than enough. The 450 fits well in my Circuit for all other trips to 4 days by myself. I am done throwing string in trees and pulling up a food bag. Take the BV a hundred yards out of camp with a pot or pan on top for an “alarm” and be done with it! Rain is not a problem either. Put reflective tape on it so you can find it easier.

Images

We carried Ursacks for years. For the Long Trail we got two of the Zpacks cuben bear bags, and I got really good at the PCT Method -- but I still had some sucky bear bag hangs. And back home, it's basically impossible to make a good hang in the area we usually hike in (SW Virginia), so I usually just sleep with my food -- but there was a serious problem bear in the area last summer.

I think this essay by Andrew Skurka is right on point in this discussion: https://andrewskurka.com/2019/argume...ging-bear-bag/

So we'll be getting ourselves a bear canister this spring and we won't worry about it again. Thanks for the discussion of the relative sizes, that helps.
    Last edited by bigcranky; 03-05-2019 at 17:58.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

“Rusha”

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    We carried Ursacks for years. For the Long Trail we got two of the Zpacks cuben bear bags, and I got really good at the PCT Method -- but I still had some sucky bear bag hangs. And back home, it's basically impossible to make a good hang in the area we usually hike in (SW Virginia), so I usually just sleep with my food -- but there was a serious problem bear in the area last summer.

I think this essay by Andrew Skurka is right on point in this discussion: https://andrewskurka.com/2019/argume...ging-bear-bag/

So we'll be getting ourselves a bear canister this spring and we won't worry about it again. Thanks for the discussion of the relative sizes, that helps.
    Thanks Big Cranky. That’s good info. I’m definitely going with my BV500...

Quote Originally Posted by ashmorec View Post
    I already have the BV500 because I either hike with my pup or my partner...or both. For this hike I’ll be with my pup and we’re doing a 500 mile LASH from Atkins, VA to Harpers Ferry.

I use the Hyperlite Southwest 3400 pack - I’m thinking I’ll have to carry the BV500 on top of my pack. My thoughts are that I’ll keep my food in dry bag in my pack since it will be heavy, and load the BV500 with my tent, rain gear, and other lightweight items that will fit. I can then easily use the 500 as a chair when taking breaks, without having to get into my pack. Once I’m at camp and setup my tent, I’ll just put the food bag in the BV500 and be done.
    You are not worried that your gear may absorb food odors from being stored in the BV500?

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ashmorec View Post
    Trying to decide whether to carry my food in my Zpack bear bag or in the BV500. I have both and while I like the lighter weight of my bear bag, I camp a lot at campsites instead of shelters and therefore have to hang my bag. I find hanging my bag labor intensive, and probably not very good, and am considering bringing my BV500 just for the ease of storing my food each night. Yes, it weighs 2.9lbs, but I’m thinking its worth the ease and security of my food.

Thoughts???
    Basically like asking if you should eat lobster or skittles for dinner.

Its up to you, totally different things.

I switched from the Zpacks bear bag to a 12" Bearicade (2.0 lbs) two years ago, and even had to change packs to carry it comfortably (ULA Circuit from Zpacks Arc Blast - another lb), but absolutely no regrets. I was proficient in all of the PCT methods and could usually pretend that whichever limb my line went over was my intention, but I hated throwing a line at the end of a day. I love having a camp stool and having my Oatmeal Creme Cakes remain uncrushed. Plus, I feel like deterring a hungry bear may save a bear's life. That's worth the extra weight.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++