:banana Single Mom Section Hiking MD/WV in July

Hey folks. So my backstory. I am a single mom who needs to get out of her comfort zone. I have a beautiful and active now 10 year old little girl. She was born with a serious heart condition that has thus far resulted in 2 open heart surgeries. Last year she became old enough to go to a special week long camp for heart kids. It has always been just the two of us. The real life Gilmore Girls as we call ourselves. While I didn't want to let go I knew this was important for her to connect with other kids who understood what she goes through. But that also meant no contact with her for the week. No phone calls and no visits. Just her and the medical counselors and all the other heart kids for a week. And while she was off having the time of her life I was at home having lengthy discussions with my cat watching Netflix and counting the minutes until she came home. It was horrible!!!! And to think I am suppose to do this every year until she turns 18!!!! How on earth am I suppose to survive this!!! So this year I decided that instead of sitting at home watching a clock it was time to start checking off the bucket list. And what better time to do it than when she is off having her own adventures. So here I go. Every year when she goes to camp this mom is going to take care of herself. And since this is my first adventure onto the AT I decided it best to start with the part closest to home...and yet it is still a 6 hour drive to get there. I am planning to do the Maryland/WV portion of the trail on July 14th. I have tried to convince my female friends to join me but so far no interest. Alone or partner I am going. But I want an all female trip. Girl Power!!! I would love a hiking partner. I am very nervous as well as excited. What am I getting myself into!!!! But if I don't I will hate myself. So if anyone would be interested in joining me on the trail I would love to get to know other women on the move!
    -Single Mama Bustin a Move!

Hypoplastic left ventricle? That is a great section btw.

A little advice. It will be brutally hot and water will likely be scarce. The way to deal with that is to get up before dawn and get to where you want to be before noon, then take the rest of the day off. You might want to get an inexpensive and light weight hammock to have something comfortable to spend the afternoon in while you read a book.

Harpers Ferry to PenMar is only 40 miles and there are 7 places you can stay along the way. If you have the better part of a week to do this, you don't have to go very far each day, but you will want to know the water situation to decide which ones to stop at.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Hi There!

I'm so glad you are thinking of doing this! It's so important for moms to get a little quiet time, a little me time, a little adventure, and it sounds like you are rolling it all into one while also distracting yourself from missing your daughter. Good on you! (Who's going to watch the cat?)

I live out in Annapolis, about an hour and a half from that section, so if all is going well come July, I can try to come out and day hike a bit with you (family life makes real backpacking a no-go at the moment...) At the very least, assuming I'm in town when you're on the trail, I can offer you a ride for resupply and/or back to your start point when you finish, all jubilant and triumphant.

Do you know if you're planning to go south from Penmar or north from Harper's Ferry? It seems that southbound would be more gratifying, since you'll end up at ATC headquarters and can get your picture taken (they can make it into a postcard, then you can mail it home, so your daughter will get it in the mail when she gets back from camp.) Only downside? I just did a volksmarch from ATC HQ southbound to the VA border, then back northbound to the Maryland border (the bridge at the Potomac) and back to my car at HQ... and that last .8 miles from lower town to HQ felt like it was allllll uphill. Now, with a victory photo op waiting for you at HQ, that might make it suck less, but I was just daypacking, the idea of doing that last little bit with a full pack is daunting. If you start at ATC HQ and head north, then you'll start out going downhill as far as the bridge, but while I haven't done the next little section yet, sooner or later, there's always another uphill... not to mention you lose the HQ "I did it!" coolness...

At any rate, I hope you can make this work for you! And if you do, give me a shout and I'll do my best to be there cheering for you (at least part of the way...)

She was born with Tetralogy of Fallot and thriving thankfully!

Thank you for the help. I wasn't planning on a hammock because I was going to get a one man tent. But I will definitely look into one now. Thank you.

LOL I have already talked to my sister about watching the cat for the week. I am planning south bound. My boyfriend offered to be my shuttle and driver and meet me for part of it but I told him while thank you, he is not invited. I didn't want to rely on him and I wanted the full experience. I have currently booked a spot on a shuttle from HF to PenMar and will start at the border and work my way back. I am planning on booking a room on the Teahorse Hostel for the night before I start and probably when I get back. I am sure my friends are getting sick of me talking about my trip but if I keep talking about it I will be less likely to back out!

Quote Originally Posted by ak2381 View Post
    Thank you for the help. I wasn't planning on a hammock because I was going to get a one man tent. But I will definitely look into one now. Thank you.
    I think the recommendation was just a cheapie hammock to lounge in for the afternoons. Whether you get a tent or a hammock to sleep in, your choice.

-FA

Quote Originally Posted by Farr Away View Post
    I think the recommendation was just a cheapie hammock to lounge in for the afternoons. Whether you get a tent or a hammock to sleep in, your choice.
    -FA
    Exactly, a small, light, cheap hammock to lounge in. Getting one to sleep in gets a bit more complicated.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

++ New Posts ++