Default Approach shoes - worth it?

How much difference do approach shoes make on slippery scrambling or even 5.0-5.4 territory? Is it worth listing for?

I was out trying to explore a new crag in wet and muddy conditions yesterday and my worn-out trail runners had me questioning my sanity. I have assumed that people would like to take a look at YouTube.

Outdoor Gear Lab runs extensive reviews of approach shoes.
    I have LaSportiva Ultra Raptors. The soles sticky. Getting the right size is a challenge. I bought big and then traded them for bigger. I like them!
    Wayne

Yes. Approach shoes will make a huge difference. I've led many routes (mostly below 5.6) in approach shoes and TR routes up to 5.9 on them. I've had 8 or 9 various pairs over the years and the Scarpa Crux are currently my favorite.

Are Approach shoes suitable for thru hiking?

Images

Trail runners are all I ever wear any more, basically sneakers with bigger knobs. Not sure if they are 'approach shoes' but light and comfortable. I am done with boots forever.

Journal Entries

Vasque used to make a hiking shoe with the rubber used on rock climbing shoes (no not that vibram garbage). It was simply amazing, I walked up stuff that others couldn't do using all 4's. I have since looked for approach shoes, but couldn't get a good fit.

In some ways it was too sticky, as in if you step on a rock and it starts to roll/move it is sometimes difficult to get your foot off of it when you want to.

I found trail runners were good for everything! Happy trails!

You have to find a shoe that works for you. I started hiking the AT buying expensive boots and then found out they were too heavy for me, or they did not dry quickly, and I had foot problems. Trail runners are more expensive and have to be replaced more frequently. I get about a month out of a pair of shoes on the trail. It all depends on your individual needs. I recently found a pair of shoes online that I am going to try that only cost $35. the time of year you are hiking also determines your shoe kind. you may not be able to go bootless in the winter months. Good luck.

I used La Sportiva TX3 approach shoes on my AT SOBO last year. Picked them to try at REI, without really knowing what they were, they just felt good.

Didn’t slip much, tripped plenty but wasn’t due to shoes. ��

++ New Posts ++