WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Suggestions for a weekend hike.

My wife and I are heading to the Smokies soon and are wanting to do a two day one night hike. I have alot of good deal of hiking experience but my wife does not. We are looking for great views, water features and close access to fly fishing opportunities.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

While I'm not a fisherman myself, from what I hear, the most popular places for fishing are:
    1. Take a boat taxi across Fontana to either Eagle Creek or Hazel Creek.
    2. Head over to Deep Creek just west of Cherokee
    3. Head over to the far east, around the corner from Cosby, to fish Big Creek.

If you want a one night look with some great views, you make make a loop of Gregory Bald by parking at the Gregory Ridge trail head, walk Parson Branch road to Gregory Bald trail, up to camp site 13 for the night, then complete the loop coming down Gregory Ridge Trail. Maximum 1 day distance is only about 7 miles or so, but there is a lot of climbing.

A very easy out-and-back would be to hike down Abrams Falls. You can try to fish the creek, enjoy the fall, and hike on down to Campsite 17 for the night.
    If you want to make it a loop, you can camp at #15 or #16 making a loop out of Abrams Falls, Hannah Mtn, and Rabbit Creek... however you have to ford Abrams Creek at the intersection with Hannah Mtn. If there's been a lot or rain, the creek might be up... I've never crossed it then. But I've crossed it many times in October/November time frame with kids.
    Last edited by HooKooDooKu; 03-15-2019 at 00:05. Reason: You need to ride a 'boat' not a 'pig' (boar)

Default Suggestions for a weekend hike.

You guys could head up to Shuckshack Firetower for big views then head down to Eagle Creek to stay the night. You have lake fishing (and swimming!) and Eagle Creek fishing from CS 90. And you’d have a relatively easy loop out the next day. I’m having trouble thinking of other routes to get big views and still have time to fish without covering bigger miles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like the Deep Creek suggestion. Just a beautiful area and my go-to spot for 1st time backpackers due to flat grade and beautiful scenery.

Deep Creek is wide but shallow, perfect for wading and to sleep by. Many campsites right on the creek. Heavily fished near the parking lot but if you're backpacking in, you can go further in and maybe have better luck. Plus DC gives you nice loop options via Indian Creek trail or Sunkota Ridge trail. And 2 very scenic waterfalls along the way. Deep Creek and Indian Creek are basically flat but would require a decent climb to connect the 2 for the loop (Martins Gap trail). If you want to shorten, just hike to campsite 59 for the night and walk back the next day. I like that site a lot.

Bryson City is a nice little mountain town a few minutes outside the DC entrance. Nice way to spend a couple hours before or after your trip. And the drive to Bryson City from the south is very easy (4 lane).

Will be hard to find views and significant water feature on the same overnight trip I think.

Cabin Flats (Site 49 I think) would offer great fly fishing and nice water opportunities at the campsite. It's probably 5 miles from the trailhead but fairly easy hike without too much elevation. No views but the trail follows Bradley Creek the entire way with easy stream access. I also agree that one of sites up Big Creek is a good idea. Nice sites with water access and great fishing. If you are looking for something on TN side closer to Gatlinburg, there are some nice sites up Little River.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by NC Hiker/Angler View Post
    Cabin Flats (Site 49 I think)
    Definitely an easy one-nighter.

I've heard some people complain about the campsite because it's a horse camp, but if you continue past the horse stalls, it's not too bad, especially since some of the camp spots are right on the water.

In addition to the positive comments NC Hiker/Angler gave...
    There's a cool trestle bridge you cross as you near the campsite.
    You can switch things up and hike the Smokemont Loop trail going in, and remain on Bradly Fork coming out. But be warned that it's a bit more than a 1,000' of additional elevation gain (and pretty steep returning to Bradly Fork). You'll see a little bit of a view along the loop, but nothing I would call spectacular. The intersection at the end of Smokemont Loop includes a foot bridge to cross the creek to rejoin Bradly Fork (no creek fords required).

++ New Posts ++