WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default damascus creeper trail to lost mountain shelter

I'm going to be doing Damascus to Waynesboro this june/july. Being 66 and somewhat over weight, I'm thinking maybe an easy 13 mile day to start out would be smart. If I understand the posts I did find, that's the distance to the shelter. I have not been able to find any maps that show both trails in relation to each other. My question becomes how well marked is the exit point on the creeper to get to shelter and then the distance from that point to the shelter?
    Thanks

Images

how well marked is the exit point on the creeper to get to shelter

where the AT branches off from the creeper, right at the road-----is fairly well marked...

i just drove the road about 2 weeks ago and going 50 mph, i did not miss seeing it..........

i have not hiked that section of the AT so i cannot answer the rest of your questions...

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Here you go.
    https://www.hikingproject.com/trail/...creation-trail

The Creeper is in bold green, and the AT and Iron...other trails in blue.

The AT winds up and down the ridges going out of Damascus while the Creeper follows the creeks and valleys on the old railroad bed; mosly crushed gravel. The AT intersects and parallels the Creeper in a number of places.
    • They are the same trail leaving Damascus to the stairs
    • Then again at the AT crossing of 64
    • The AT and Creeper are separate but parallel trails until the AT climbs up to Saunders near Taylors Valley
    • The AT and Creeper meet again before Creek Junction
    • The AT last leaves the Creeper at the Creek Junction bridge. Cross the bridge and then the AT immediately turns left off the Creeper and goes along the creek and up a gradual side hill climb up to Lost Mtn Shelter.

Last edited by Tennessee Viking; 02-27-2019 at 17:02.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Get a copy of National Geographic map #138 - Mount Rodgers High Country.

It covers the area in question and you really, really need that map to keep track of the trail - it has a bunch of twists and turns and choices of which way to go. The last mile or so to connect back to the AT just south of Hurricane Mt shelter is on a horse trail and is pretty rough. I've done this route a couple of times.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

from damascus to the last AT junction on the creeper trail is 10 miles. then 2 more miles to lost mtn. shelter

Oh sorry, I see you just want to go to the Lost Mountain shelter. Eventually you'll come to a place where the Creeper and AT co-inside for about 1/2 mile. It should be obvious when you hit that point and then where the AT goes off to the left.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Thanks for the info.
    Don

There is a place where the AT and the creeper are the same, and there is a fork in the road. It's not well marked and a lot of people take the wrong way. You'll hike a half mile before you come to a dead end and realize you took the wrong path. I think I recall the correct path is the right fork.

I had read about it somewhere and was expecting it. I remember thinking I was glad I didn't go the wrong way. There is no way to get back on track at the dead end other than turning around.

Here you go.
    https://www.hikingproject.com/trail/7013339/virginia-creeper-nation ... creation-domyhomework-trail

The Creeper is in bold green, and the AT and Iron...other trails in blue.

The AT winds up and down the ridges going out of Damascus while the Creeper follows the creeks and valleys on the old railroad bed; mosly crushed gravel. The AT intersects and parallels the Creeper in a number of places.

• They are the same trail leaving Damascus to the stairs
    • Then again at the AT crossing of 64
    • The AT and Creeper are separate but parallel trails until the AT climbs up to Saunders near Taylors Valley
    • The AT and Creeper meet again before Creek Junction
    • The AT last leaves the Creeper at the Creek Junction bridge. Cross the bridge and then the AT immediately turns left off the Creeper and goes along the creek and up a gradual side hill climb up to Lost Mtn Shelter.
    I wonder how much time it will take (in comparison): a hiking tour and a cycling tour, if the end point is the Lost Mountain shelter, for example. Does anyone have any experience in cycling there too?
    Thanks.
    Last edited by RandyBonnette; 03-28-2019 at 05:40. Reason: spelling

++ New Posts ++