WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Just for fun.. it's a really windy day in the Whites (2-25-2019)

http://northeastexplorer.com/wordpre...hz8YeXmJrb-ER4

this article in Northeast Explorer says winds could gust as high as 165 pm on higher white mountain summits today. Yikes! I do not hike on days like this I stay home where it is nice and toasty!

DavidNH

and I just checked mountwashington.org. The winds on the summit of Mt Washington are now as of almost noon time steady at 111 mph and gusting to 127 and it's likely to get worse before it gets better!

This is the kind of day the Obs post pictures of the crew trying to stand up in the wind and getting blown across the deck.

Pretty windy in the valley too. I'm surprised I haven't lost any trees and still have power and internet. Had a lot of branches to clear off my driveway though.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Remember Marty on the Mountain's weather reports? When I lived in NH I used to love to watch him. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-j_2W6GYMvc
    "It goes to show you never can tell." - Charles Edward Anderson Berry

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Old Grouse View Post
    Remember Marty on the Mountain's weather reports? When I lived in NH I used to love to watch him. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-j_2W6GYMvc
    Darn! I thought it was going to be Marty the observatory cat!

00029B47-7A83-4EB7-A32B-5B070A3991F8.jpeg
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

The prior observatory cat would randomly walk across in front of the camera while Marty was doing the forecast. Marty was a transmitter engineer that mostly made sure the generators kept running for the transmitters. They eventually ran power lines up the mountain so the generators were not needed. The TV station had to move off the summit when the new Digital TV channels were put in place. There are still some FM channels broadcast from the summit but they do not have full time technicians.

Images

Walking at the summit in high winds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWNaYd5Y8hw

163 MPH wind gust recorded today on the summit. Class 5 Hurricane strength wind.

I would love to have a wind gauge in Edmans Col. I swear it acts like a wind tunnel. The wind gets channeled up through the ravine and blows like crazy between Adams and Jefferson.

Some pretty intense snow squalls all day. One minute it would look like it was going to clear, the next couldn't see across the street. I'm pretty much living in an igloo now.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    163 MPH wind gust recorded today on the summit. Class 5 Hurricane strength wind.

I would love to have a wind gauge in Edmans Col. I swear it acts like a wind tunnel. The wind gets channeled up through the ravine and blows like crazy between Adams and Jefferson.

Some pretty intense snow squalls all day. One minute it would look like it was going to clear, the next couldn't see across the street. I'm pretty much living in an igloo now.

Just saw the top gust today is now 17mph. A new Feb record.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

That would be 171 mph! By comparison, Mt. Mansfield in VT was just "breezy" at 118 mph, and my house was a tropical paradise at 57 mph.

It was still pretty windy today, but at least the sun was out.

Somewhere around 3 PM today (Tuesday 2/26 )they appear to have had a instrument malfunction. Looks like they probably had an ice up on one of their sensing lines. It definitely was not 0 MPH wind

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye View Post
    That would be 171 mph! By comparison, Mt. Mansfield in VT was just "breezy" at 118 mph, and my house was a tropical paradise at 57 mph.
    171mph! Yeah, that one!

Anyone see the pictures of the cell tower on Sugerloaf? It folded right in half!

++ New Posts ++