WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Umbrella hat?

Default Umbrella hat?

Has anyone used an umbrella hat on the AT?

I tried it once,just didn't work out.I liked the idea and didn't mind looking so GOOFY.There's a place for them though, like wearing one while on a riding mower or maybe working in the yard or garden.Part of the problem for me was looking down for foot placement etc.;plus there was some conflict with it touching the pack as I recall.

Images

I use a Chrome Dome umbrella on the PCT for sun protection. I love it. If you are looking for the AT for rain I think you would have problems with an umbrella in the underbrush. It attached to my pack, so it is virtually hands free.
    “For of all sad words of tongue or pen,
    the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier

Odds are unless there is chin strap the wind will claim it quickly.

Journeyman Journeyer
    Images

One of these may work better. You could get above the rain.
    hat.jpg

When I put one on it hit the back of my pack. At the time I carried a brain style pack. Now my pack is mu lower then my shoulders unless packed full of food. But yes the wind would more then likely blow it off
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

I think you should get one for entertainment value alone.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

For my weekend trips to GSMNP, I take along a $3 'purse' umbrella. They pack really small and are light weight (as far as typical umbrellas go). It requires I use one hand to hold it, but with that tiny umbrella, I can keep the rain of my head, and when I hold it right, I keep most the rain off my pack. I tried strapping the umbrella to my pack, but my pack wound up getting really wet with water running down the pack and into my pants.

Don't know how well such a cheap umbrella would survive a thur hike as the metal will rust real quickly/easily in the weather (maybe giving it a slight coating of oil would improve it).

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Try it - what have you got to lose but a few bucks? I think I'll pass, but I always carry an umbrella. The trick to avoid getting it caught in trees is to hold it loosely so it can roll with things... that would be tough to do with the hatbrella.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Plus for me, one of the great things about the umbrella is not needing anything on my head. I hate hoods, and if it's warm, I don't even want to wear a cap.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye View Post
    Plus for me, one of the great things about the umbrella is not needing anything on my head. I hate hoods, and if it's warm, I don't even want to wear a cap.
    Same goes for a rain jacket.
    There is no jacket you can make or purchase that is as "breathable" and wearing no jacket.

FWIW mine does have a chin strap.I also tried carrying the SwingLite Flex chrome dome style 8 oz umbrella.It worked ok in gentle rain but if you are in blowing rain like it was the first time I needed it,then you WILL be drenched.My efforts to tie it on sorta worked in rain but it was really great as a sun shield.

My current system is a rain kilt and a LightHart Gear pu rain jacket with huge pit zips.No matter what you use,you will be drenched either way and the rain jacket is just to keep you warm.So I pop up a tarp the minute the walking stops and change into dry camp clothes asap in order to avoid hypothermia.I recently purchased a Snugpack poncho which covers the pack and has sleeves and more air circulation underneath than a rain jacket but I expect it too will be too hot as well except in really cold weather.

++ New Posts ++