Page 15 of 24 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast

Right. But that doesn't mean anything by itself. I'm interested in the potential for weight loss with a tailored diet, as opposed to whatever he's actually eating. Percentage-wise, based on the difference between he and I in body weight vs. weight lost, that's ballpark equivalent to what I lose when I diet strictly-without much exercise. But when I fatten up and get back into it, combining diet and exercise, allowing carbs, which is necessary to maintain pace/intensity, pre and mid-ride/hike/workout, that number more than doubles, and actually comes close to tripling.
    My understanding was that his primary purpose was weight loss, and the PCT hike was a tool to facilitate that. I know how to lose weight(dropped 27.8lbs in 48 days last year after being inactive due to injury-didn't even know I had that much to lose!), MY weight, just curious what would work for him. My body's needs are not his needs, and I'm not thruhiking. I find it interesting to think about, though.

Edit: duh, turns out my math was off, but it's all hypothetical, anyway.
    Last edited by OwenM; 04-05-2019 at 10:35.

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Based on the “meal” that concludes his latest video, he has not changed his dietary habits.
    Just an honest observation.
    Wayne
    He did say in that video that this burger is to celebrate his 150 miles mark. Maybe for the average hiker this is not a big deal, but for him it is a HUGE deal.

Images

New Video up...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYPVQON69S8

Wow, he spent 10 days in Idyllwild waiting for conditions to improve on the mountain. I fear he will find it hard to get going again after that long of a layover. I think he left off by the Paradise Cafe, so I do not know why he did not at least do the section to the Spitler Peak Trail junction. At 7000 feet that should have been passable, and he could have walked down into Idyllwild. That is what hikers had to do last year anyway due to the fire closure, and then regain the PCT by going up the Devil's Slide Trail. I know many thru-hikers skip right from the Paradise cafe to Idyllwild, the Devil's Slide Trail, and San Jacinto anyway, so perhaps he is taking that route.
    “For of all sad words of tongue or pen,
    the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier

Spoiler alert!!!!!
    He is well past the In-N-Out Burger place near where the PCT crosses I-10 beyond Mt. San Jacinto.
    Wayne
    PS: The promise of burgers ahead along the trail are a powerful motivation!
    Last edited by Venchka; 04-08-2019 at 09:07.

Cory Update:
    Coming off of San Jacinto in the dark...his headlamp ran out of fuel.
    Fortunately Daisy Hikes, Smiles, was behind him. They continued together with her headlamp.
    This happened several days ago.
    Wayne

Running out of light is a nasty situation, happened to be a couple times, once when I was hiking with a dog on the LT.

When he saw a doctor or fitness trainer in Idyllwild, CA he was advised to ditch his boots for quality or appropriate footwear. Really poor skin tone but a strong determined spirit can overcome all that. It would be good if he had a top fitness trainer take him on if he was willing.

It would be even better if Cory could learn to ration trail essentials. Food. Water. Batteries.
    I’m not a fan of the rechargeable headlamps. Replaceable Lithium AAA batteries and a spare set of batteries in the pack seem to be more reliable than the USB recharging silliness.
    And a $1.00 Walmart watch battery powered spare headlamp for camp use.
    That’s the Fossil Solution.
    Wayne

Some of the rechargeable headlamps at least have removable batteries. That was one of my reasons for purchasing the Fenix I've used the last couple of years. Still get to have a spare battery, but the costs go down and the battery life /brightness is a lot better than the average AAA lamp.

Is the cold weather battery performance on par with Lithium batteries?
    Wayne

Seems to me the best compromise is a AAA powered light and use Lithium Ion/Polymer AAA batteries. High energy density, standard USB recharging and great shelf life...

Mine do triple duty- tent light, headlight and MP3 player. Since you only need a charging holder, you can actually drop weight vs disposable batteries as you power the holder from your cell phone charger. Lots of companies offer multi port USB chargers so you dont need multiple wall warts.

Wayne
    The batteries it uses are lithium, so yes.

Images

Cory made a special video on missing PCT Hiker David O'Sullivan...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01im...5Ztxp3nKRLkQkg

My hats off to the guy, he looks for ways to do good as he walks along the trail.

John Greenleaf Whittier

Wayne
    FWIW I have tested out low self-discharge (aka LSD, aka precharged) NiMH AAA batteries in my headlamps and found that they did not experience performance deterioration in cold weather. Seems like potentially a reasonable alternative to lithium, esp. if you already have them.

He uploaded a couple more chapters. He's looking a lot better. I have to say that moral support and well wishing makes a trip a lot easier.

I've refrained from commenting thus far but I gotta say, he's more than a bit of a wimp. I think this quality will be his biggest challenge. Every minor "ouchie" seems to be a huge deal and there's a constant theme of "not pushing" himself. Yes, he's out there, yes he's obese and everything is harder, but one might argue that this mentality of being wimpy may have gotten him into his current shape. Yes, yes, many factors contribute to overeating/overweight persons. Spare me the sanctimoniousness please. It's a bit disheartening that unless you're cheerleading this guy constantly you're flamed for any criticism. I watch all the episodes, I enjoy him and his journey. These are just my observations and my concerns. I don't see him doing well in the mountains or crossing the desert. Based on the latest episode, I don't see him going much further period until the snow and ice is gone. He went half a mile.

I agree and also ... if I fell badly then the last thing on my mind when I am getting up would be to hold a camera in one hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Let me go

Images

Episode 32 is up, over 30 minutes long. Spoiler Alert, what follows is the cliff notes version....

Second Chance decides to beat a retreat off the ridge due to icy snow on a steep slope and an impending snow storm. I think this was the right decision for him. I am glad to see he is playing it smart and safe. You could tell he was scared, but disappointed to be turning back. Happy to see him putting himself out there, glad to see him playing it safe.

If I understood where he was correctly he fell short of Apache Peak on the way to San Jacinto. He should be able to drop back to the Spitler Peak Trail, and walk down into Idyllwild. Last year the section he was trying to traverse was closed due to fire damage anyway, and the Spitler Peak Trail into Idyllwild became the 'official' alternative route. So in effect he should end up taking last year's route.

John Greenleaf Whittier

Ok. I wish him luck but I can not watch it when it gets this emotional .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Let me go

Quote Originally Posted by ant View Post
    I've refrained from commenting thus far but I gotta say, he's more than a bit of a wimp. I think this quality will be his biggest challenge. Every minor "ouchie" seems to be a huge deal and there's a constant theme of "not pushing" himself. Yes, he's out there, yes he's obese and everything is harder, but one might argue that this mentality of being wimpy may have gotten him into his current shape. Yes, yes, many factors contribute to overeating/overweight persons. Spare me the sanctimoniousness please. It's a bit disheartening that unless you're cheerleading this guy constantly you're flamed for any criticism. I watch all the episodes, I enjoy him and his journey. These are just my observations and my concerns. I don't see him doing well in the mountains or crossing the desert. Based on the latest episode, I don't see him going much further period until the snow and ice is gone. He went half a mile.
    I don’t necessarily agree with the negative component of this post, however, I agree with the premise. Sometimes, you’ve gotta push yourself beyond what you think you’re capable and beyond your comfort level. Those are the times a person grows the most, mentally and physically, and prepares them for bigger challenges.

I watched 32 today. Or rather I skimmed it.
    The video was recorded 2 weeks or more ago.
    At one point Cory encountered a PCT trail sign pointing left and downhill. It’s possible that the sign could have been leftover from the fire damage. Or, and I think this is the case, the sign was meant to reroute hikers away from the trail conditions on the PCT. Cory ignored the sign. Went straight and uphill. Wrong choice. Fortunately he turned back before he got into serious trouble.
    I wish him well.
    Wayne
    Last edited by Venchka; 04-21-2019 at 02:55.

Page 15 of 24 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++