Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 13 19 20 21 22 23 24 LastLast
Results 441 to 460 of 463
  1. #441

    Default

    He twisted his ankle pretty good the other day apparently

  2. #442

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gwschenk View Post
    BITD, it was Tiffany's at Cajon. They had great French toast and open face turkey sandwiches. And great waitresses. They'd talk about watching crews jumping off runaway trains!
    When they started building that damn McDonalds, I knew it was the end for them. Cajon Pass is a sadder and more sterile place now.
    That brought back some memories!
    Eons ago Tiffany's was a welcome stop on my thru hike. Like you said, great waitresses, food... and framed pictures of John Wayne plastered over the walls!

  3. #443
    Registered User ldsailor's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-25-2016
    Location
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Age
    70
    Posts
    537

    Default

    I just watched episodes 73 and 74 and there is some drama going on. He slid a good way down the side of a mountain in the snow. His hiking partner actually caught it on video. I have zero experience hiking in snow, but as I understand it, an ice axe is supposed to be used to stop a long slide like that. Maybe someone with experience could comment. Anyway, then later he fell on the trail and now... No more spoilers. If you have been following this guy, you might want to check out the two episodes.
    Trail Name - Slapshot
    "One step at a time."
    Blog - www.tonysadventure.com

  4. #444

    Default

    another vote for trailrunners (NOT) ... shoes so soft you can't even kick steps into snow.
    Let me go

  5. #445

    Default

    I got a kick out of his mistaking watermelon snow for blood. He has exceeded any reasonable expectation many time over. Hope he is back on the trail soon.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

  6. #446

    Default

    Funny stuff


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Let me go

  7. #447
    Registered User
    Join Date
    09-12-2011
    Location
    Hillard, Florida
    Age
    65
    Posts
    1
    Images
    1

    Default

    check out "Little Bs" latest video on you tube her channel is Nessa Pepp

    Larry

  8. #448

  9. #449

    Default

    Damn!......
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

  10. #450

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ldsailor View Post
    I just watched episodes 73 and 74 and there is some drama going on. He slid a good way down the side of a mountain in the snow. His hiking partner actually caught it on video. I have zero experience hiking in snow, but as I understand it, an ice axe is supposed to be used to stop a long slide like that. Maybe someone with experience could comment. Anyway, then later he fell on the trail and now... No more spoilers. If you have been following this guy, you might want to check out the two episodes.
    He did at one time have an ice axe, and he had training. But he left them behind at some point. When he flipped to Oregon, he didn't expect to encounter that much snow/ice and did not take those supplies with him.

    Sometimes you can piece together more of the story by following both his youtube and instagram as wells Little Bee's youtube and instagram (Nessa_pepp). I decided to support him on Patreon too. He posts a lot of updates there and does more live streaming. Sometimes it does gets confusing- with all those different channels and both posting at different times and different time lags, the exact timeline is hard to follow.

  11. #451
    Registered User ldsailor's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-25-2016
    Location
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Age
    70
    Posts
    537

    Default

    Aside from Little B's video, Second Chance just dropped one about about 18 hours ago showing his helicopter rescue. The video is at this link. The assumption is he's off the trail, but that is apparently not the case. He's still out there slack packing and waiting for his back to get better. He has posted a video of a live YouTube session that appears to have been done recently. I haven't watched the whole video, but he confirms he is still in Oregon within the first part of the video. That video is at this link. It will be interesting to see if he gets back out there with a full backpack and continues on.

    I usually hike alone. I'm slow and can't keep up with most other hikers. If I have taken away anything from his injury and rescue it's that hiking alone is maybe not the best idea.
    Trail Name - Slapshot
    "One step at a time."
    Blog - www.tonysadventure.com

  12. #452

    Default

    I donít want to be harsh but I get annoyed seeing hikers without appropriate gear. That is the least you can do, then research what to so with it and then gradually gain experience albeit during your thru hike...lack of microspikes ... they donít weigh THAT much, ice axe, footwear with a hard sole so that you can apply leverage ...in this case kick steps into snow etc etc


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Let me go

  13. #453

    Default

    I watched the entire Q&A. He is in Oregon and is slack packing til his back heals. He has a car, parks at a trail head, and either hikes for awhile and then back-tracks to the car or continues and then hitches a ride to his car.

    As far as the injury, nothing was broken. Tissue damage and other stuff. Doctors told him not to hike til it gets better, minimum of 3 weeks. He has plans to see a chiropractor and a physical therapist, I believe, in the next few weeks (whenever he gets to where they are).

    He fell on June 30 and was helicoptered out on July 1. So a bit of time has elapsed til he got back on the trail. He talked about that timeframe on Patreon but not on youtube.

    He did share more about his personal life. He married young, is divorced, and has two children: boys, ages 8&10. (I guess it's the two children in the opening segment of the rescue video.) During the time between the fall/rescue and getting back on the trail, he mentioned Little Bee has met his family.

    Little Bee is now hiking on, without him, though. She wants to do as much of the trail as possible before her visa expires at the end of September.

    He has lost 95-100 pounds. Though as muscular as he is becoming, it seems he must've lost more than 100 pounds of fat while also gaining muscle weight.

    He still plans to go to PCT days; he didn't say if Little Bee still plans to go.

  14. #454
    Registered User
    Join Date
    12-27-2013
    Location
    Northwood, NH
    Age
    28
    Posts
    1,442

    Default

    What's the repercussions of a helo rescue in OR? I'm just curious. Not trying to start a flame war, but he has been to the doctors and specialists a number of times on this hike including whatever emergency services he just received. Including a helicopter rescue.

    I'd be curious if this is a 25-50k dollar hike.

    I don't want to speculate about him. And if you follow my responses to this thread, you'll find I've been 100% on his side since day 1.

    I've actually been waiting to see if we would learn more about his personal life. It's one of those things where you just wait to see if the person opens up.

    Truth be told, divorced with two kids wasn't what I expected at all.

    I think lots of people are curious to learn more about his personal life. It's usually the most interesting aspect of a hiker. The whole weight loss thing is only half the story.




    Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by fastfoxengineering; 08-10-2019 at 20:40.

  15. #455

    Default

    Trail Miles: 3,715.9
    AT Trips: 67
    AT Map 1 Completion: 1818.9 Springer, GA - Franconia Notch, NH
    AT Map 2 Completion: 263.8 Gaps From GA - PA

  16. #456

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ldsailor View Post
    I usually hike alone. I'm slow and can't keep up with most other hikers. If I have taken away anything from his injury and rescue it's that hiking alone is maybe not the best idea.
    I agree with you. It's making me think twice about solo day hikes. Especially since I broke my foot hiking on a short, local trail in suburbia a few years ago, but at dusk with no one around. It was a very painful and slow limp out of the woods.

  17. #457

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fastfoxengineering View Post
    What's the repercussions of a helo rescue in OR? I'm just curious. Not trying to start a flame war, but he has been to the doctors and specialists a number of times on this hike including whatever emergency services he just received. Including a helicopter rescue.

    I'd be curious if this is a 25-50k dollar hike.

    I don't want to speculate about him. And if you follow my responses to this thread, you'll find I've been 100% on his side since day 1.

    I've actually been waiting to see if we would learn more about his personal life. It's one of those things where you just wait to see if the person opens up.

    Truth be told, divorced with two kids wasn't what I expected at all.

    I think lots of people are curious to learn more about his personal life. It's usually the most interesting aspect of a hiker. The whole weight loss thing is only half the story.




    Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk
    Good points and questions. Who pays with a medivac? Probably no one remembers but a hiker called Alleghany, if I remember right, was bitten by a rattler at Lion's Head in CT about 15 years ago and was flown to the hospital, but got lucky as there was no real venom injected.

    There are just too many unwell people in society who don't really want to do what it takes to get or stay in shape. I have a 66 year old sister who is in a nursing home and dialysis where there have been paths forward for her but she has not done what was needed in a preventative standpoint.


  18. #458
    (trailname: Paul-from-Scotland)

  19. #459
    Registered User Venchka's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-20-2013
    Location
    Upper East Side of Texas
    Age
    73
    Posts
    8,286

    Default

    After watching him dangling from the end of a rope below the helicopter...
    I would have walked out.
    Or been more careful and avoided falling in the first place.
    Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace



  20. #460

    Default

    Latest update has Dixie joining him back on the trail. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmFKwak31cc


Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 13 19 20 21 22 23 24 LastLast
++ New Posts ++

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •