Thread: InReach

Default InReach

What are the general thoughts on bringing an InReach or similar device? Is it worth the cost, weight, and need to be regularly recharged?

I used a SPOT GEN3 for 2 weeks on the AT. Worked well and never needed to be recharged, though I carried spare batteries and can be USB recharged.
    Made my family happy do know they could track me and get a message I was ok.

Images

For my two most recent weeklong hikes I have rented an InReach. No problems with sending position updates. No problems getting a signal. Haven’t had to call for rescue, but that’s the last thing I would ever want to do!
    Formerly uhfox

Springer to Bear Mountain Inn, NY
    N Adams, MA to Clarendon VT
    Franconia Notch to Crawford Notch

The SPOT GEN 3 is also rentable

I have one of the original DeLorme Inreach SE's. I could get 3 days on a charge. I sent tracking points every 10 minutes and sent a txt message to my wife whenever I stopped for the day.

If I was just carrying for SOS and not sending tracking info I could probably go 5 days on a charge. Enough to get between resupplies. $12 a month for just SOS and 10 txts per month, $25 a month for tracking and more txts.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Storminnorman View Post
    What are the general thoughts on bringing an InReach or similar device? Is it worth the cost, weight, and need to be regularly recharged?
    I personally think the only reason to carry these devices on popular long trails is for the slight extra comfort of your loved ones back home. Most days you'd be able to get a text out with your phone anyway.

I do carry one when I'm hanging it out solo on trail or routes where I won't see a soul for days, and only on such trips.

You'll have plenty of folks around to render aid on the extremely unlikely event you'll need emergency aid on the PCT.

I have the garmin in reach and I’ve been happy with it. I generally turn it on in the morning, send a text to my family, then turn it off until a lunch break and do the same. I’ll turn it off again until dinner time and generally leave it on for 2-3 hours before I turn it off at night. This method uses about 15% of the battery per day and I can easily go 5+ days without a recharge.

I’m happy with it. I have a wife and kids at home and it’s nice to be able to have 2 way communications while I’m gone and give me peace of mind so I’m not worrying about them. And it only weighs about 4oz or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you all for the information. It was very helpful.

The texting capability is nice. If getting to a Gap and expecting to meet a shuttle I could always text them if there was no cell service. Would also text home often. The month-to-month expedition plan isn’t what most hikers do, but it sure was nice and it got used a lot. I don’t pay for service when not on the trail.

A LOT of the long distance hikers on the PCT had that clipped to the front of their pack, I noticed as I passed hundreds of them in the North Cascades in Aug-Sept. Might be a good item.

Default InReach

hiking in the southern desert pct, I had no problem getting cell signal. Different story in the Sierras. not true that there are always people around on the pct. especially if you're hiking "off-season", as I sometimes do.

Not sure if you are doing a thru hike, but you may want to consider the annual plan. You can adjust which plan you are on once a month, so I plan to be on the new top plan, (they eliminated the top plan and added features to next one down at same cost) when I finish the trail I will drop to the lowest plan. this helps reduce the cost so that I get a better plan while on the trail, but full year coverage. The per month plans have higher rates.

I think the inreach can be useful for more than hiking. We are retiring and plan to RV 4-5 months a year and in places you don't always have cell service. this will help us stay connected with the kids.

I just picked up an Inreach after a miserable experience with Spot's subscription system last year. Out of the box I'm excited about the ability to write real messages and not just canned ones. Navigation was also a big pull - I've never needed it on a major trail but in whiteout conditions near Mount Madison last February, a handheld GPS got us right to the hut when we couldn't see squat.

Spot doesn't allow month to month service any more. It's not cheap with the Inreach, but a month or two of service here and there isn't bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Storminnorman View Post
    For many people the answer to all of those is no. To other people it is yes. If it makes you and/or or family happier, they work pretty well. On my son's PCT thru last year, I loved being able to track him and vicariously follow his adventure. He would never had taken it if he didn't have a medical condition and the associated need to communication reliably even in areas with poor or no cell coverage.

I now have the in-reach and don't use it because my wife doesn't care and I'm pretty comfortable out there, even when I'm solo. I might activate it for myself the next time I'm out on an extended winter solo trip, but other than that, probably not.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

++ New Posts ++