Page 6 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    I knew when I read the vid title that he'd be bailing into a town due to what to me looked like perfect weather conditions---blowing snow and cold wind and maybe even more snow if he's lucky. Perfect place to squat and set up camp and pull a Hunker Station to enjoy Miss Nature's best. Oops, next thing I see are cars and roads and a town. Sob.

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    He is in Warner Springs. Isn’t that Mile 108 ish?
    Throw in a few hitches. There’s little documentation of actual miles hiked.
    He’s outdoors. He’s having fun. Thru hiking? Maybe. Maybe not. “It just doesn’t matter!”
    Wayne
    I wish people really believed this!! Meaning---I wish people could forego the "thuhiker mentality" and be proponents of It Just Doesn't Matter. He's outdoors . . . he's having fun. End of story.

And when I first heard of him pulling 7 miles in the first 5 days at the beginning I was totally in synch and supportive. Tain't nothing wrong with that. I applaud him. Maybe he's going for the Slowest Known Time record---and so he's a Hero in my book.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayne View Post
    My real concern is water for him.
    Same here. I had a nearly 30 mile water carry ending at Walker Pass which involved carrying six liters and dry camping. There's no way he can do that kind of stretch unsupported at his pace. I hope he doesn't get himself into trouble but he's hiking into peak thru hiker season and there will be many people on the trail.

Journal Entries

Coming from a lady here that was 60 pounds heavier just about 10 months ago, I know how hard it is to "just walk" when you are so heavy, without consideration for the mountain ups and downs and rocky landscape and what all have you. This is hard on him. I am proud of him. I am sure it was scar just setting out to actually do it. He's gone a long way in bad conditions and he's still going. That's awesome!! Slow is truly his only option at this point and certainly the safest for him. I hope he keeps plodding along nice and slow. I do hope he gets a little education on the water situation as well though. I'd hate to see him mess this up by hurting himself. If he can keep it up, this could be a life changer for him. He certainly seems to be enjoying himself, which is more than I can say for a whole lot of other hikers in much better shape and way more experienced and educated (trail-wise I mean) than he is. Big man with a bigger heart can do amazing things. Just watch.
    " Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. "

Journal Entries

Yall act like every big fat person is retarded too. Worrying about him doing something stupid .

He keeps showing .....hes not.

Hes staying safe, having fun. Good for him.
    Yeah, it might end soon, so what.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 03-06-2019 at 13:55.

13-45 Section Hiker Trash
    Images

I've been following this thread and watched a few of the videos. I'm pulling for this guy. Whatever he ends up doing as far as a hike goes I really hope that his weight loss journey ends successfully.
    AT: 2007-2019 (45 sections)
    JMT: 2013

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Yall act like every big fat person is retarded too. Worrying about him doing something stupid .

He keeps showing .....hes not.

Hes staying safe, having fun. Good for him.
    Yeah, it might end soon, so what.
    This.

Nowadays... How many PCT nobos would be smart enough to collect water with their rain coat? Take refuge in a pit toilet? And bail out when necessary? Not many.

And at this point. Hes put in more miles on the PCT than most on this board.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by randy.shopher View Post
    Is so he would be better off to skip the long dry stretches.
    The problem is, the long dry stretches are the main portion of the trail not covered in snow. The storms keep coming and dumping more snow, even in the mountains of SoCal.

His hike is the epitome of "hike your own hike". Most thru hiker videos are just plain boring but he has a sense of humor and like the Engerzier bunny just keeps going. It is the adventure of a life time for him. I wish him well and how ever far he gets and how ever long it takes him it really doesn't matter because he is having a great time. The enjoyment of journey is what matters not how many miles you do in a day or far how you travel.
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

"Eating advocates tomatoes and meat in town"

"Im having the time of my life"

"I am proud of myself"

"If it was easy, 400 pounders would be out here!"
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

^ Just watched that one and the Part 2 posted today, the first time I've actually taken the time to watch them. They're a bit slow-paced, but he's delightful! He had an unexpected 3 mile road walk to get back to the trail and he took his first fall, and took both hiccups in stride. As he's taking in the sunset at his campsite at the end of Part 2, you can feel how much he's relishing the experience. As the one year anniversary of my thru-hike start date approaches, I'm feeling some serious trail nostalgia, and that bit nearly made me cry. He hiked over 10 miles in a day, so it sounds like he's starting to adapt.
    A.T. 2018 Thru-hiker
    Follow along at www.tefltrekker.com

Images

My goodness, just watched the part about the 'fall.' A few inches of snow and he called that postholing! He really is a 'tenderfoot'. I think his innoscence is genuine. Watching these videos and hearing his contagious nervous laughter is like being able to see the world again through the eyes of a child. I do not mean that in a negative way, but in a joyous way. It is pretty great, but he also brings out my protective concerns. I wish him the best, hope there are some hikers out there keeping an eye on him.
    “For of all sad words of tongue or pen,
    the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier

Quote Originally Posted by imscotty View Post
    My goodness, just watched the part about the 'fall.' A few inches of snow and he called that postholing! He really is a 'tenderfoot'. I think his innoscence is genuine. Watching these videos and hearing his contagious nervous laughter is like being able to see the world again through the eyes of a child. I do not mean that in a negative way, but in a joyous way. It is pretty great, but he also brings out my protective concerns. I wish him the best, hope there are some hikers out there keeping an eye on him.
    The hole he fell into wasn't really postholing...the snow covered a hole which he called postholing, and it was a hidden hole covered by snow that he fell into which was quite deep for anyone randomly step into...my dad broke an ankle in a similar incident.

Well it isnt all peaches and cream in the real world. I was in REI today and there was a small group actually talking about this. In fairness the group was the young, chest beating type. I asked a rei rep. about it after the group left seems this isnt getting very positive feed back. He said the PCT is now being called the "weight watchers trail". This is slowly turning into a real ***** show. Someone up in the comments said they hoped that hikers are watching him. I agree he needs to be watched for his own safety but not helped at all. The quicker he is off this the better for everyone especially the PCTA. I bet the PCTA donations shrink over this social media stunt. I wonder if the PCTA even knows this is going on.

Another thing I would take his mile's claim with a grain of salt. He says one thing but the map, laying down on the trail comments and his zero days tell another story. I suspect these long mile days is more about him getting to a zero day. I sure hope he doesnt get hurt. But the longer this drags out the more likely he does.

Quote Originally Posted by Newt0556 View Post
    Well it isnt all peaches and cream in the real world. I was in REI today and there was a small group actually talking about this. In fairness the group was the young, chest beating type. I asked a rei rep. about it after the group left seems this isnt getting very positive feed back. He said the PCT is now being called the "weight watchers trail". This is slowly turning into a real ***** show. Someone up in the comments said they hoped that hikers are watching him. I agree he needs to be watched for his own safety but not helped at all. The quicker he is off this the better for everyone especially the PCTA. I bet the PCTA donations shrink over this social media stunt. I wonder if the PCTA even knows this is going on.

Another thing I would take his mile's claim with a grain of salt. He says one thing but the map, laying down on the trail comments and his zero days tell another story. I suspect these long mile days is more about him getting to a zero day. I sure hope he doesnt get hurt. But the longer this drags out the more likely he does.
    This isn't the first person to do this.

He's never asked for anyone to watch over him. He's a grown adult. The only life he's putting in jeopardy is his own.

Is the PCTA suppose to kick him off the trail?

He's done nothing stupid. Or made anything a stunt. He's made pretty sound decisons so far.

In a month or two their will be a few people rescued from the desert. Cause they have no idea.

Once again.. social media stunt? He really didn't promote his channel or even seemed like the social media type when he started.

He doesn't even announce anything till he was on the trail...the INTERNET made him famous.

Noone needs to watch out for him or look after him.

What about Pappy on the AT last year? 87 years old.... Several hikers including myself found him severely dehydrated. All we talked about is how Pappy didnt care if he died out there.

I don't understand your frustration. What has this man done wrong?

Who cares what a bunch of kids in an REI say? Calling it the weight watchers trail and now everything is out ofnl control? Thats ridiculous.

Any real hiker would motivate this guy to keep going. He wants it.

Every successful thru hiker has pushed past limits they shouldnt have.

Otherwise.. you wont finish.

People on the AT and PCT do way stupier stunts every year... ever hear of the 24/24/24 challenge? Maybe the PCTA should do something about that...

Journal Entries

Makin videos is a bigger priority than walking it seems

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Makin videos is a bigger priority than walking it seems
    I don't know that I could spend 25 days by myself on the trail, possibly making videos and the internet is a way to keep him occupied. He is obviously new to hiking and hasn't trained his brain to be patient during an all day walk.

Post#113 is just flat out ridiculous. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. My opinion is that #113 was a waste of my time to read.

I'll watch this guy's stunt thousand times over the family that hiked the AT last year.

This guy's seems to genuinely giggle over things we take for granted...like watching a baby take first steps...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Let me go

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Kobzol View Post
    I'll watch this guy's stunt thousand times over the family that hiked the AT last year.

This guy's seems to genuinely giggle over things we take for granted...like watching a baby take first steps...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    it is refreshing.

He is out there enjoying life and hiking his own hike. Good for him and I wish him every success.

Page 6 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++