Page 21 of 24 FirstFirst ... 11 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 LastLast

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fastfoxengineering View Post
    Twas breakfast. But ayce kfc is one way to kock out a hiker with a food coma for sure.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk
    Not fine dining like KFC, but i used to eat breakfast at huddle house in Erwin at the gas station occasionally. Within spitting distance of McDonald's and had a better breakfast, real bacon eggs and coffee. I think it maybe closed now .

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    I suppose that one problem is that one can't stop eating, unlike cigarettes, alcohol, or other substances. That and all the lunacy spread by weight control "experts" of all sorts. We can only wish him well, as most of us do.
    Well sort of. We have to eat to survive but we do not have to overeat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Let me go

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Not fine dining like KFC, but i used to eat breakfast at huddle house in Erwin at the gas station occasionally. Within spitting distance of McDonald's and had a better breakfast, real bacon eggs and coffee. I think it maybe closed now .
    Can confirm Huddle House is no more in Erwin. It was replaced by a Dunkin Donuts. Not gonna lie...as much as I despise and avoid McDonalds IRL, it's where I ate breakfast in Erwin. That McGriddle dipped in pancake syrup was something else!
    It is what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Kobzol View Post
    Well sort of. We have to eat to survive but we do not have to overeat

True, but other addictions are usually treated by total abstinence, which is not an option with food. It's a tough deal for the many excellent people who are overweight to obese.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by JPritch View Post
    Can confirm Huddle House is no more in Erwin. It was replaced by a Dunkin Donuts. Not gonna lie...as much as I despise and avoid McDonalds IRL, it's where I ate breakfast in Erwin. That McGriddle dipped in pancake syrup was something else!
    Well, I don't anticipate going back to Erwin any time soon, but if I ever do, I'll miss that Huddle House. I had one of their "give me everything" breakfasts and then I had apple cobbler for desert. Not shown in the images were the biscuits and gravy.
    20160511_151740.jpg20160511_153227.jpg
    Trail Name - Slapshot
    "One step at a time."
    Blog - www.tonysadventure.com

The Cajon Pass McDonalds is a landmark on the PCT that people talk about all the way from Big Bear. I wish that normal McDonalds food tasted as good as the food at THAT McDonalds. It's the same way that milkshakes at the SNP waysides taste way better on hikes than when driving through. I don't think that it's realistic for Second Chance to not crave fast food on-trail because almost all hikers do.

Someone pointed out in the comments of one of his recent videos, that at the beginning of the trail he said something like "I drink a lot of soda... I don't really like just plain water." And in the recent video, he spots a spring and says "Look at that cold, clear water. Wow, that looks delicious!" That, I think, speaks volumes. Thru-hikers of all shapes and sizes talk endlessly about food on trail, and most devour big and often unhealthy meals when in town. It's not reasonable to expect him to pass on a burger and a milkshake when it's right on trail. He's emphasized repeatedly that this hike for him is not about diet or deprivation. Instead, it's about fixing his body and his life -- "remodeling his house" instead of condemning it, as he put it-- in a radical way. The fact that after two months, he thinks of spring water as delicious instead of wishing it was Coke? That gives me hope that his transformation could be sustainable.

One of his recent videos he walked 37 miles in three days. Not impressive by "normal" thru-hiker standards, but it took him fourteen days to do the first 38 miles of the trail. That improvement in a couple of months is fantastic. I'm also impressed by his attitude in the face of constantly being passed by other hikers and never seeing them again. While he seemed to relish the solitude in the first few weeks, he talked about getting lonely as time went on. As a friendly and sociable guy like him, I imagine it would be demoralizing to know that he physically can't keep up with each new person he connects with, and he just isn't fast enough yet to find a "tramily." Many people would overdo it because of the pressure to keep up and get injured. The fact that he continues to hike his own hike in those circumstances shows a lot of humility and determination.
    A.T. 2018 Thru-hiker
    Follow along at www.tefltrekker.com

Default Get a Second Chance at Living the Dream

I skimmed through some of the videos posted by Second Chance. Seems like a pretty happy-go-lucky guy to me and appears to be walking the walk he prefers. Isn't that what 'merica is all about? Life, liberty and pursuit of happiness? More power to him. Whether he "makes" it or not is, IMHO, not the point...it's the journey to get somewhere. Zipper

Quote Originally Posted by Zipper265 View Post
    I skimmed through some of the videos posted by Second Chance. Seems like a pretty happy-go-lucky guy to me and appears to be walking the walk he prefers. Isn't that what 'merica is all about? Life, liberty and pursuit of happiness? More power to him. Whether he "makes" it or not is, IMHO, not the point...it's the journey to get somewhere. Zipper
    Well said. That's all it's all about.

Quote Originally Posted by ldsailor View Post
    I'll miss that Huddle House. I had one of their "give me everything" breakfasts and then I had apple cobbler for desert. Not shown in the images were the biscuits and gravy.
    20160511_151740.jpg20160511_153227.jpg
    Drooling over here. That would have hit the spot for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by KnightErrant View Post
    Someone pointed out in the comments of one of his recent videos, that at the beginning of the trail he said something like "I drink a lot of soda... I don't really like just plain water." And in the recent video, he spots a spring and says "Look at that cold, clear water. Wow, that looks delicious!" That, I think, speaks volumes. Thru-hikers of all shapes and sizes talk endlessly about food on trail, and most devour big and often unhealthy meals when in town. It's not reasonable to expect him to pass on a burger and a milkshake when it's right on trail. He's emphasized repeatedly that this hike for him is not about diet or deprivation. Instead, it's about fixing his body and his life -- "remodeling his house" instead of condemning it, as he put it-- in a radical way. The fact that after two months, he thinks of spring water as delicious instead of wishing it was Coke? That gives me hope that his transformation could be sustainable.

One of his recent videos he walked 37 miles in three days. Not impressive by "normal" thru-hiker standards, but it took him fourteen days to do the first 38 miles of the trail. That improvement in a couple of months is fantastic. I'm also impressed by his attitude in the face of constantly being passed by other hikers and never seeing them again. While he seemed to relish the solitude in the first few weeks, he talked about getting lonely as time went on. As a friendly and sociable guy like him, I imagine it would be demoralizing to know that he physically can't keep up with each new person he connects with, and he just isn't fast enough yet to find a "tramily." Many people would overdo it because of the pressure to keep up and get injured. The fact that he continues to hike his own hike in those circumstances shows a lot of humility and determination.
    humor is the gadfly on the corpse of tragedy

Hiker Trash Vogue and 2nd Chance..an excellent combo indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    The Cajon Pass McDonalds is a landmark on the PCT that people talk about all the way from Big Bear.
    BITD, it was Tiffany's at Cajon. They had great French toast and open face turkey sandwiches. And great waitresses. They'd talk about watching crews jumping off runaway trains!
    When they started building that damn McDonalds, I knew it was the end for them. Cajon Pass is a sadder and more sterile place now.

In his latest video, 'Casa de Luna', Second Chance looks like he's living the PCT thru-hiker life. It's fun following him...
    (trailname: Paul-from-Scotland)

Quote Originally Posted by futureatwalker View Post
    In his latest video, 'Casa de Luna', Second Chance looks like he's living the PCT thru-hiker life. It's fun following him...
    I watched that video. Most people probably have no idea who he is.. but thats Lint throwing down in the background. Many a miles that one has hiked.

I ‘guess’ second chance is a hugger huh ?

Let me go

SC has made it 500 miles now

Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

It's good to see he is really finding himself a spot in the hiking community. I see a sense of belonging to the hiking crowd in his expression.

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    SC has made it 500 miles now

Let me go

It would be excellent to see someone on the trail buddy up with SecondChance for some miles. Perhaps some locals could turn out to do sections ? Keep going pal, im pulling for you ! ✌ 🏔

[/QUOTE
    When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world. - John Muir

Just watched latest video. 110 days in and he's lost a lot of weight (no surprise), but I'm flabbergasted at how much of a hot mess he still is after so much time on the trail. His pack has never once fit him right (either) and in the 2 days that the video covers shows it leaning to one side like the Tower of Pisa. Also, to be so not buttoned up in terms of his gear and shelter - "Big storm coming, oh, I should have replaced all my stakes that I broke and now don't have and desperately need...." HOT. MESS.

Page 21 of 24 FirstFirst ... 11 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 LastLast
++ New Posts ++